Piedmontese Bull on Hereford cows

Help Support CattleToday:

danfreds":2w9bpb4a said:
Would any one be using this cross, think it would be ok.
I guess it is worth a try. Do you have any Piedmontese cattle or Herefords right now or are you just getting into the business? Piedmontese cattle are double muscled and Herefords have pretty good carcass data, but there of course not double muscled. GIve it a try and get back with us in 9 months. Take care. :cboy:

My brother has used his Piedmontese bulls on his Hereford cows and the result is some really great beef! He has a variety of colored cattle he uses as recipients and if they don't settle they get bred by the Pied bull. He hasn't had any trouble with any crosses and there are folks waiting to buy them.

I have about twenty cows have been keeping all heifers to grow to thirty to forty cows still using hereford bulls for now. verry easy to work with have had no calfing troubles. Have herd if I use Pied bull should be a terminal cross wonder why I shouldnt keep heifers maybe it was bad info?

danfreds":2n9gr6of said:
I have about twenty cows have been keeping all heifers to grow to thirty to forty cows still using hereford bulls for now. verry easy to work with have had no calfing troubles. Have herd if I use Pied bull should be a terminal cross wonder why I shouldnt keep heifers maybe it was bad info?

I have read this post several times and am not truly sure what you are saying.

However, I can guarantee you one thing.

If you are keeping all of your heifers in order to build a breeding herd of cattle you are making a big mistake.

You are building a herd of quantity and not quality. Less than half of the heifers born on your operation will be keepers - in fact probably only about 20% should make the cut. And that is in a good year.

Just because it can be bred does not mean it should be.

Bez?

I under stand what your saying and I do have some ulgy old bags guess Im not keeping all of them if they dont raise a calf their burger. Just trying to get larger herd 30 to 40 when I get to where I can cull like it should be done market will be way down :roll: Trying to use best bulls I can aford so getting something right any way. Thanks for the advice ;-) just a hobby might get their some day.

danfreds":17m13dgy said:
I under stand what your saying and I do have some ulgy old bags guess Im not keeping all of them if they dont raise a calf their burger. Just trying to get larger herd 30 to 40 when I get to where I can cull like it should be done market will be way down :roll: Trying to use best bulls I can aford so getting something right any way. Thanks for the advice ;-) just a hobby might get their some day.

Expanding a herd is really hard. The big key is too get a really good bull so that his daughters will be good enough that you can keep 80% of them. Once you stabilize your numbers and get rid of the stockyard mistakes (and everybody who buys cows at the stockyard brings home a mistake eventually); then you can make real improvement.

Latest posts