Mikes_photos007.jpg

Mikes_photos002.jpg

Mikes_photos005.jpg

Mikes_photos006.jpg

Mikes_photos001.jpg

Mikes_photos008.jpg

Mikes_photos009.jpg

sorry this camera is a 29 dollar digital as you can see above lol

glover36, Does look like you have a nice setup. Good pics with a 29$ camera :eek:

It would be OK to upgrade a bit 8)

mnmt

that do get us startet on her. ok story behind her is she was an embryo bought at a sale barn for holstien cows so they breed the cows and implant the embryo 8 or 7 days later so either way she will have a calf and the embryo caught so my bosses friend gave her to me

glover36":2wrm7bzf said:
that do get us startet on her. ok story behind her is she was an embryo bought at a sale barn for holstien cows so they breed the cows and implant the embryo 8 or 7 days later so either way she will have a calf and the embryo caught so my bosses friend gave her to me
Did you mean she is a recipient cow and the embryo didn't settle - she's open???

no she was got at the sale barn a beef cow was flushed for embryos to put it dairy cows and she was one of those embryos and when you breed the holstien you put the embryo in 7-8 days later so either way shes bred when you want her

glover36":1i4az5f5 said:
no she was got at the sale barn a beef cow was flushed for embryos to put it dairy cows and she was one of those embryos and when you breed the holstien you put the embryo in 7-8 days later so either way shes bred when you want her
:shock: Sorry, still doesn't make sense.
OK, they flushed a BEEF cow and wanted to put embryos into holstein recipients? Right?? They put an embryo into the recip at day 7-8 (recip WAS open at that time - cycled 7-8 days earlier). IF THE EMBRYO "took" - than she's pregnant with the embryo, if not, she's open unless someone bred her next heat. IF, she got pregnant with the embryo - why would they sell her????

ok sorry clear it up even more she was a embryos flushed from a cow at a sale barn. they bought the embryos broguth them home and put them in cows 8 days after the cows was bred to a holstien bull so the cow would think shes pregant and accept the semen from teh breeding 8 days earlier so they automatically had her due when they neededd milk

you the ones a 4 yr old right (showed her in 4-h) and the other ones her daughter born sept 2004

ok sorry clear it up even more she was a embryos flushed from a cow at a sale barn. they bought the embryos broguth them home and put them in cows 8 days after the cows was bred to a holstien bull so the cow would think shes pregant and accept the semen from teh breeding 8 days earlier so they automatically had her due when they neededd milk

Sorry Glover but I have never heard of doing anything like that.It works like Jeanne was asking you about. Im not sure what they told you about the cow but if they are putting in embryos 7-8 days after breeding the cow they are wasting embryos in my opinion. But then again it might be something Im not aware of. Anyway, best of luck with your herd.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

No...embryos cannot be "flushed" - aka recovered - until a minimum of 6 days after ovulation; at that point they travel down into the uterine horn and can be recovered. Maximum of 9 days. The recipient cow MUST be an exact number of days that corresponds to the donor cow, because the recip must have the right uterine environment for that embryo, and there's a big difference in the uterine environment 4 days after estrus and 8 days after estrus.

What IS a waste of money is AIing the recip cow on her heat - there is absolutely NO need for it, and while it may increase your chance of getting a calf from that heat (65% conception rate for embryos), it also increases the chance of getting TWINS - and what if you end up with a bull-heifer set??? besides all the complications that come with twins, like retained placentas and uterine infections and the like.

If you're going to AI the cow, then AI her and wait 21 days and hope she settles. If you're going to put an embryo in, then do that at the right time, but good grief, don't bother doing BOTH!

Jeanne- I think what glover means is that the cow in the picture was an embryo herself, years ago, that had been purchased as such and then put into a recip cow.

ok i talked to the farmer today who had her and he said he buys the embryos cheap and puts tehm in cows 8 days after shes been ai'd so then she thinks shes preganant and acccept the ai service it work 50% of the time

It takes about 9 days before the embryo in the uterine horn even implants - cow is not going to "think" she is or is not pregnant before that time. So what's the point in AI'ing her???

As to the comment about accepting AI service - an embryo EIGHT DAYS LATER will not influence the sperm and egg in any way at the time of AI, ovulation, etc. To have TWO non-implanted embryos in the uterus at the same time (one the donor cow's, other the recip's own) is just a lack of common sense - or maybe just evidence of someone with money to burn?! If she's going to settle she has a better chance of settling with her OWN embryo rather than some donor cow's! And even if having two embryos in the cow increases the conception rate (FWIW - it should be 75%, not 50%), the chance of TWINS makes it undesirable.

Regardless, just a waste of time and money IMO - and I'll stand by that.

Whew!! Milkmaid, I am extremely glad you handled that one!! :shock: Noone in their right mind would AI a recip than put cheap or expensive embryos in her. I would guess (since I have NEVER heard of anyone trying such a thing) that the implanting process of the embryo would/could abort the AI embryo in the process. Heck you can abort a pregnancy just by palpating if early in cycle.
Sorry, Glover, I think your seller is filling you with a line of bull - or he/she has very strange ideas.

lol i am starting to doubt him but he was some of the bets holstiens in cananda so it must work somehow

Latest posts