0151.JPG
14 month old hereford
0061.JPG
17 month old hereford
0042.JPG
11 month old simangus
0022.JPG
20 month old maine

Since we have been moving, the kids haven't messed with them much, but are getting ready to get them up and clip them. Their first show will be March 8. Just thought you'd like to see how they have grown since last summer.

I like the simangus best.
The herefords are, typical herefords. Light quartered, nothing too impressive.
(not sayin that all herefords are, i know of good herefords, they are just a little hard to find)
All of them are reasonably deep.
I dont hate them, but I see room for improvement.
Good luck at your shows! Have fun!

karlie45":26kjwt15 said:

You'd better be careful... :mad: :mad: ;-)

CPL-you raise herefords don't you? Honestly-what do you think. I'm not to happy with the youngest one. She got a slow start when we got her at about 5 months old. We finally figured out that she was a super slow eater, therefore not getting her share for awhile. In the last couple of months she has really filled out and deepened up. Is there anything else we can be doing for her. She is the one with the good bloodlines (Online). Thanks. :help:

showmomof2":moa3v1vj said:
CPL-you raise herefords don't you?

Hopefully within the next 5 years I can answer that with a 100% yes! :D

I have two with one on the way. Honestly, I would like to see much more muscle expression in all three of them. How do they walk? They look like they're all ok structure wise. None of them appear to be post legged or anything. The older two look like they are pretty long, but it wouldn't hurt them to have some more thickness. Also some minor things if you plan to show them seriously would be a level hip and the extra leather up front, but loosing those could result in unpractical cow. Do you have any ideas on what you want to AI them to?

Thanks for your reply and for not tearing them up! We haven't decided for sure who we will go with. Will definately try a bull that will muscle and thicken them up alot. I really had high hopes for the little one, but she got a rough start. We feed several of them together and we didn't figure out that she is a super slow eater till recently. Since we wormed her she has straightened out some. Maybe this spring will bring a big growth spurt. I know the other 2 grew considerably as they got closer to a yr.

CPL":j2ub8khh said:
karlie45":j2ub8khh said:

Im not too worried. :D
Dont hate on me too much, I raise herfs too!
It's only a small part (like 5% of our herd) Just as "side" breed.
I do love a pretty herford.

Karlie45, Don't be too quick to judge all Herefords based on the cattle that you have in your herd. You might want to check out the thread on the Breeds Board GH Rambo/Ft. Worth Pictures posted by Ziggy Pop. These are typical Herefords these days -- Big, stout, structurally correct and full of muscle!

karlie45":1dx2tzng said:
CPL":1dx2tzng said:
karlie45":1dx2tzng said:

Im not too worried. :D
Dont hate on me too much, I raise herfs too!
It's only a small part (like 5% of our herd) Just as "side" breed.
I do love a pretty herford.
Then please post photos of the ones you have selected to be your "side breed". They must be exceptional!!
Larry

farmwife":3r6bddqn said:
Karlie45, Don't be too quick to judge all Herefords based on the cattle
that you have in your herd. You might want to check out the thread on
the Breeds Board GH Rambo/Ft. Worth Pictures posted by Ziggy Pop. These
are typical Herefords these days -- Big, stout, structurally correct
and full of muscle!
I'm well aware of typical herefords "these days"-- you do not need to tell me.
And thanks, but I have already veiwed that thread. The herefords are EXCEPTIONAL.
I dont judge all herefords based on my herd.My herefords are top quality for my area. They stand up to the same standards as the rest of the herd.
And a TYPICAL hereford (not Ft. Worth winning hereford), in my opinion is not up to par with several other breeds.
ANY breed winner at Denver or Ft. Worth is NOT typical! They are the best in the breed.

DFF":3r6bddqn said:
Then please post photos of the ones you have selected to be your "side breed". They must be exceptional!!
Larry
I have posted several pictures of my herd in the past. Including a few herf influenced farm raised show heifers.
I would post recent pictures, but the calves have already been sold, and I do not feel like driving out to the pasture, finding the cattle, and taking a decent picture while it's -4 degrees, windy and snowing.
I know what I need from my cattle, and that is what they are. I dont need anyone else to tell me if they are exceptional or not. They win, they sell, they produce, they make money. Thats all that I ask.
So yes, I do beleive that I have an exceptional hereford herd. I dont need you to tell me that.

Showmomof2- Sorry to turn this entire post away from your topic. It really is too bad that you had a slow eater. We had one like that last year, she sorta-kinda got over it, but I dont think that she ever reached her full potential. Get her on good feed, she should do fine. It's always hard to see one struggling to grow with such good potential from breeding.

karlie45":10x5h15s said:
farmwife":10x5h15s said:
Karlie45, Don't be too quick to judge all Herefords based on the cattle
that you have in your herd. You might want to check out the thread on
the Breeds Board GH Rambo/Ft. Worth Pictures posted by Ziggy Pop. These
are typical Herefords these days -- Big, stout, structurally correct
and full of muscle!
I'm well aware of typical herefords "these days"-- you do not need to tell me.
And thanks, but I have already veiwed that thread. The herefords are EXCEPTIONAL.
I dont judge all herefords based on my herd.My herefords are top quality for my area. They stand up to the same standards as the rest of the herd.
And a TYPICAL hereford (not Ft. Worth winning hereford), in my opinion is not up to par with several other breeds.
ANY breed winner at Denver or Ft. Worth is NOT typical! They are the best in the breed.

DFF":10x5h15s said:
Larry
I have posted several pictures of my herd in the past. Including a few herf influenced farm raised show heifers.
I would post recent pictures, but the calves have already been sold, and I do not feel like driving out to the pasture, finding the cattle, and taking a decent picture while it's -4 degrees, windy and snowing.
I know what I need from my cattle, and that is what they are. I dont need anyone else to tell me if they are exceptional or not. They win, they sell, they produce, they make money. Thats all that I ask.
So yes, I do beleive that I have an exceptional hereford herd. I dont need you to tell me that.

Showmomof2- Sorry to turn this entire post away from your topic. It really is too bad that you had a slow eater. We had one like that last year, she sorta-kinda got over it, but I dont think that she ever reached her full potential. Get her on good feed, she should do fine. It's always hard to see one struggling to grow with such good potential from breeding.

Didn't mean to offend you, just want you to see what is typical now. Sure, years ago, the funnel butted Hereford was pretty typical, but the breed has changed. I'm curious to see some of your Herefords and their bloodlines. I went back to May 07 on the show board postings and could only find pictures of one Shorthorn bull (now a steer). I did find a couple of posts about district and state fair, but I didn't see where you exhibited Herefords, although there was one Simmi/Herf heifer that you showed as commercial. As for pics, I couldn't find any.

As for the Ft. Worth Open cattle -- there were excellent cattle throughout the barn; even the ones that didn't place well. In my opinion, they were typical for today.

Again, my apologies for offending you; that wasn't my intent. Look forward to seeing your previously posted Hereford pictures.

No offense taken farmwife, I actually feel like I was offending you. And sorry for that.
I get on the defense easily :oops:
And I argue alot... :oops:
My dad tells me regularly that I should grow up to be a lawyer :oops:
I'm fairly sure I posted some herf pics a while ago. I'll try to get back to you on that one. To tell you the truth. I''m more into the simmies and shorts, so I dont know much about our herefords. So, I can't even pull some bloodlines off the top of my head.
And. Yikes, dont even look at the shorty bull/now steer. He's gone.

I know my cattle aren't perfect. We definatly have room for improvement. But I feel for my area, and our competiton levels, we raise exceptional cattle, no matter the breed.

And yes, I agree. Herefords have improved over the past few years. I beleive you completely when you say that the quality was outstanding through out the barn. Show calves (especially at larger shows like Ft.Worth) always look better than your common calf. No doubt about it.
Again, no offense taken.
Sorry if I offended you at all.

No offense taken -- I think it's a teenage thing -- you sound like me 25 years ago. Now my son is starting to sound the same -- he'll be 14 in July. He got made yesterday when I told him he needed to hurry and eat breakfast and he told me maybe he didn't want to eat breakfast, which was fine, except he was digging in the cereal boxes at the time to find the one he wanted -- go figure!!

simangus is the best I think the maine has a lot of good to her she just needs the HAIR and more bone in her legs

We got their hair trimmed and ready for this weekends show. You wouldn't even recognize them. Just hoping they will do well this weekend!

showmomof2":1gvfn5j9 said:
We got their hair trimmed and ready for this weekends show. You wouldn't even recognize them. Just hoping they will do well this weekend!

Send new pics.

It may be pictures from the show Saturday, but I'll post them with the results! I think I am more excited than the kids.

Latest posts