Pictures of my new alarm clocks :)

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Well I finally got around to taking and posting photos of my new alarm clocks/milk disposal units. The story goes like this:

About a week ago my boer X doe kidded down twin bucks and all appeared fine. She dropped her afterbirth, mothered them etc. She was approx. eight years old and a very good mother in previous years (and this was no exception).

However, when I got up in the morning and went to check on her I found a very, very sick doe. To cut a long story short, she must have tried to deliver a third kid during the night, which got jammed into her pelvis and, sometime during the ordeal both the uterus and bowel were perforated. I have never seen such a sick animal in my life - it actually made me sick to see an animal like that.

I could not get the kid out, and once I'd realised the perforations were there, there would not have been any point. I dont think she would have lasted the day out. So we euthanased her.

So - the bucks became poddies.

The next day at work we noticed a doe kid running around screaming her head off. We offerred her some milk and she guzzled it like she hadnt drank for a lifetime. We looked up the records and sure enough she is on the doe that doesnt like having doe kids - she'd had twins and was only looking after the buck kid. So, seeing as

a) the kid was going to have to be poddied anyway or die
b) my boss doesnt like poddying things,
c) I was already feeding two poddies, and
d) I needed a new doe

I ended up with that little girl. My boys got a sister.

The only problem is, the kids from my doe are usually freezer meat, and I cant eat anything I poddy. So I am planning on training the boys to harness.

Here they are - the boys are named Charlie (light headed) and Chaplin (dark headed), and the girl is named Calamity Jane (it is a 'C' year here). The boys are 11 days old, and Calamity is 21 days old.

Calamity busy eating
New_photos_29-08-07_007.JPG

Charlie
New_photos_29-08-07_010.JPG

Calamity
New_photos_29-08-07_011.JPG

Charlie checking out one of my rabbits
New_photos_29-08-07_014.JPG

Charlie chasing the cat
New_photos_29-08-07_015.JPG

My last poddy, Gizmo, who is now 3 years old
New_photos_29-08-07_018.JPG

Charlie
New_photos_29-08-07_028.JPG

Charlie again
New_photos_29-08-07_031.JPG

Chaplin
New_photos_29-08-07_027.JPG

One more of Charlie
New_photos_29-08-07_029.JPG

I just realised I've only got one of Chappy, I will have to try to get some more.

Latest posts