Picture of a young shorthorn bull in his working clothes

Help Support CattleToday:

phillse

Reaction score
Below is a pic of a young shorthorn bull I bred, shown in his working clothes at 14 months breding cleanup. I am looking for informative, constructive feedback. Particuarly Interested in what Kernsie and Doc's thoughts are.

I realize the pics may not be the best, and that the bull is not perfect but then no such thing as a perfect animal exists.

009.jpg

he is a nice looking bull.looks a tad short coupled to me.he has nice straight rear legs.id like to see his rear end.he looks a little lite there.he has a nice looking neck on him.

I got the pic size too big thanks for fixing it Ryan.

That size is easier to see.

I like him. Nicely balanced. Has some muscle. Looks good for pasture/working condition.

Hard to believe the two photos are of the same animal, just shows that photos will seldom give a true reflection of the animal. How much is the age difference in the two photos?

If I only saw this photo
009.jpg

I would have said that the first thing I noticed is his oustanding haircoat (for my conditions), the darker colouration of his neck which is a good indication of virility.
He looks to have a adequate hindquarter with good outer thigh developement for his age considering he is working and not a stall fed show animal. His topline could be more level, but it isn't bad. His shoulders looks smoothly laid in with an adequate fore-arm.

the next photo tells me a lot more and was taken at a better angle, although not quite square on as what the ideal would be
Eagle2.jpg

In this photo his topline looks much better, there is still a slight bump about a third back from between the shoulders and the hooks, but that don't really bother me.
He is long spined, long hipped, well muscled and well proportioned.
His legs and feet and the amount of bone is just about ideal.
He has a good symmetrical scrotum with well developed testes.
I agree with Ryan that he is a very well balanced animal with good capacity and a deep chest.

Every animal has his faults though, the bull's head is not masculine enough for me. At 14 months I want to see stronger male character and more of a crest in a bull. I want the crest to begin directly behind the head with a bulging neck especially if a bull is in this good condition. I know shorthorns do have a finer head than say herefords and are cleaner fronted, and although I must admit I haven't seen many shorthorn bulls develope in my life, I still stand by my point that his neck and head could have been stronger and more masculine at 14 months.

Still one of the better shorthorn bulls I've seen posted here.

I like him. There has been some size criticism, but people need to remember that he is only 14 months old. He'll fill out. Nice job!

Thanks for the comments

The first photo was taken when he was put in with the cows. He bred about 12 head and cleaned up about 17 more head after we finished with AI. We preg checked the cows and everyone was pregnant. So not bad considering the bull was put out at a young age. The second pic was taken when we pulled him off the cows so about 60 days difference in the pictures.

I think he looks prety good for a young bull breding cows with no supplemental feed. Just grass and minerals. Especially considering the rye grass faded pretty quick here in South Alabama with the dry weather we have had.

Arrow I have had several people comment on the fact that he may not be big enough framed. However I like the fact that he is not a monster sized animal as some of the cattle he is breding is a little big in my opinion. He is a 5.5 frame, and from his performance should throw some easy keepers.

I plan on using him to downsize some of the females to around a 6 frame, which I think he will do and still maintain adequate muscle, growth and milk.

Your bull has many good points to him, as noted by others, if I was to offer a constructive criticism, I would like to see a little more width to him, he lacks some capacity, but overall a nice looking bull. :)

phillse-

Sorry that I didn't see this thread until right now!

I agree in principle with most of the comments, especially those of Knersie's. The only negatives that I have to say is - I don't like his head at all, but that is my personal preference. I would like to see more width to him, evern though it is hard to detect in a side picture, but because his hind feet are too close together, that gives you a hint of his overall width. Width, too, is a particular factor that I feel most beef animals lack. So I harp on width a lot in analyzing cattle. Anyone critiquing this animal must take into consideration that he is only 14 mos old in this picture, and has been working with insufficient nutrition for a WORKING BREEDING BULL! I understand your drought conditions there, and I empathyze with all of you - BUT - this is a business and you must take care of business! Bulls MUST be well fed to do the job you require of them. Sorry, but that is the way the world is.

His crest should increase in size when more testosterone courses through his system, and if it doesn't, you may have a fertility problem with him in the future. When he is two years old, you should have a very good looking bull! But get to feeding him more than you have so you don't have to make excuses for him.

DOC HARRIS

phillse":iasewvh6 said:
Thanks for the comments

The first photo was taken when he was put in with the cows. He bred about 12 head and cleaned up about 17 more head after we finished with AI. We preg checked the cows and everyone was pregnant. So not bad considering the bull was put out at a young age. The second pic was taken when we pulled him off the cows so about 60 days difference in the pictures.

I think he looks prety good for a young bull breding cows with no supplemental feed. Just grass and minerals. Especially considering the rye grass faded pretty quick here in South Alabama with the dry weather we have had.

Arrow I have had several people comment on the fact that he may not be big enough framed. However I like the fact that he is not a monster sized animal as some of the cattle he is breding is a little big in my opinion. He is a 5.5 frame, and from his performance should throw some easy keepers.

I plan on using him to downsize some of the females to around a 6 frame, which I think he will do and still maintain adequate muscle, growth and milk.

Yes bigger isn't always better. A couple of years ago my SIL's FIL had to get a new Char bull because his broke a cow's back when breeding her. Well the new bull they got, got sick and they called my wife and I to come down to the pasture and help them give it shots. They have a wood corral and chute and a headgate set up in their pasture. Lets just say the new 2 year old Char bull bulged the sides of the chute out and he couldn't fit in the headgate because he was so big. After his shots we had to back him out of the chute. I'll have to get some pics of our new yearling bull we bought this spring. Maybe if the little one takes a nap this morning I can sneak out for a minute.

Shorthorn Guy

There is no Trump in his pedigree, he is out of RB Eagle 148 and some older bloodlines, that I think have been somewhat over looked.

rouxshortorn - Also have a few simmentals.

toby - Thanks for the compliment,

DOC HARRIS":2qcgq8pk said:
But get to feeding him more than you have so you don't have to make excuses for him.

DOC HARRIS

Not to pick a fight Doc, as I respect your opinion at all times, but if you "have to feed him", then you're making an excuse for him. JMO. My vision of the ideal bull, is one with all the structural requirements INCLUDING coming off the breeding pasture in fair condition AND fleshing back up before the snow flies. We turn bulls out with the cows on the 5th-10th of August, so for a 65-day breeding season they don't have much time in the fall to flesh up. Good bulls do it with free-choice hay. Great bulls do it on stockpiled grass. Exceptional bulls don't need to flesh up. They never lost it.

Latest posts