Picture... not doing so well

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid":3d6yhfb0 said:
Alice":3d6yhfb0 said:
I'd take him in a heartbeat, too, Milkmaid... ;-) Unless the calf is a chronic lunger, he'll come around and make some money...and he's worth a try. And even if he is a chronic lunger, some TLC will still make enough difference to make some money on him. The price is sure right. :)

Alice

:nod:

I'm afraid I couldn't keep him in my dorm though, so I'll have to pass on the little guy. :lol:

They don't allow pets? :(

cfpinz

milkmaid":32b72gma said:
novatech":32b72gma said:
I've had several bottle babbies that look like that after I wean them off the bottle. They have always grown out of it as they gotten older. I've deducted that they are missing something in there diet.

Yep... they're missing the appropriate amount of protein needed to make a calf grow! ;-)

I'd take him on in a heartbeat (shucks, he's standing, walking, and eating, is he not??? LOL)
  • and I wouldn't pump him full of meds either. Little bit of wormer and then plenty of TLC a
nd good feed designed for a growing calf, and I'll bet you come summer he'll slick off and look like any other calf in your field. The little guy has better than a fighting chance, in my book.
that's exactly right .just cause he looks rough don't mean he's a walking disease. no need to waste all those meds

cfpinz":13w9fj7m said:
milkmaid":13w9fj7m said:

I'm afraid I couldn't keep him in my dorm though, so I'll have to pass on the little guy. :lol:

cfpinz

'Fraid I'd have a hard time convincing them a wild 250lb steer calf was a pet. :lol2: :p

milkmaid":3799xfpb said:
cfpinz":3799xfpb said:
milkmaid":3799xfpb said:

cfpinz

'Fraid I'd have a hard time convincing them a wild 250lb steer calf was a pet. :lol2: :p

Looks like a poodle to me! :lol:

cfpinz

I'm with the ranks that thinks the calf is a money pit. He looks stunted to me, big head skinny legs and a pot belly. Just like the calf my freinds got from another freind. Spent a couple thousand dollars and watched it die after a couple of years. only got up to about 400lbs.

Alan

milkmaid":3nn1qd18 said:
novatech":3nn1qd18 said:
I've had several bottle babbies that look like that after I wean them off the bottle. They have always grown out of it as they gotten older. I've deducted that they are missing something in there diet.

Yep... they're missing the appropriate amount of protein needed to make a calf grow! ;-)

I'd take him on in a heartbeat (shucks, he's standing, walking, and eating, is he not??? LOL) and I wouldn't pump him full of meds either. Little bit of wormer and then plenty of TLC and good feed designed for a growing calf, and I'll bet you come summer he'll slick off and look like any other calf in your field. The little guy has better than a fighting chance, in my book.

I agree wholeheartedly, Milkmaid, and I'd take the little guy on in a minute, too!!

calf saver":1mvdwt2j said:
darn little booger dont want to be caught still trying

You're gonna have to drive or lure him into a chute with a head gate...good luck! Remember, tho, if he's runnin', he's still kickin'! And, I think it'll be worth the effort.

Alice

I went to a sale barn auction with my husband 2 years ago in March to see what some of our steers went for. at the end of the auction in walks a little guy that looked awful I payed .21 cents a pound for him. I treated him the following day with just the normal shots, wormed him nothing different then if I brought a healthy guy in. well long story short. In July of that same year we sent him to the auction. The owner of the barn asked me that day how that calf turned out the looked bad. I said well see he's here today. He went for 1.32 a pound. If you have the time go for it. It may pay off.

Latest posts