Picture... not doing so well

Help Support CattleToday:

calf saver

Reaction score
DSCI0443.JPG
see post not doing so well any advice helpful

Temperature never lies. Should be 100 to 100.5, if he's not worked up. I treat at 102.5 and up.

I had a calf like that from the neibour, the mama would not take it and it never got it's first drink of colostrum. I fed and doctor'ed and all I ever could get out of it was a fat, short,and pot bellied calf. Looks like one of those calves that will never grow to catch up with it's head. I know how you feel about saving it but in my opinion you'll will never get it to fully take off.

tuck":pi7xcs12 said:
I had a calf like that from the neibour, the mama would not take it and it never got it's first drink of colostrum. I fed and doctor'ed and all I ever could get out of it was a fat, short,and pot bellied calf. Looks like one of those calves that will never grow to catch up with it's head. I know how you feel about saving it but in my opinion you'll will never get it to fully take off.

I agree....

randiliana":14qs2fop said:
tuck":14qs2fop said:

I agree....

I'll third that. Reminds me of a twin that got voted off the udder.

cfpinz

Have kids? he'd be a great kids project; a bit of TLC, a fair bit of grain and split the profit with them.

Could be any number of things but two things come to mind...
1) poor colostrum intake, poor start and possibly chronic malnutrition or a liver abscess. The chronic liver abscesses and "poor doers" are not uncommon in calves that have missed that vital colostrum in the first 24 hours.

2) BVD - a persistently infected calf (PI) is a classic "poor doer". If its mother was also a BVD PI then she is usually in the bottom 10% of the herd so naturally a poor mother....

I would rule out persistent BVD before deciding whether the calf is worth any effort. If it is "persistently infected" BVD then it is not worth the trouble/effort.

I've had several bottle babbies that look like that after I wean them off the bottle. They have always grown out of it as they gotten older. I've deducted that they are missing something in there diet. Don,t know exactly what, but since they grow out of it, it hasn,t really concerned me.

I would also check out the cow to see if she is produceing enough milk. Might think abought selling the cow.

Thats a type of calf I can make money on. I buy a lot looking worse than that. Put them on good minerals and grass, vac and deworm them and 6 months they look great. I can buy them cheap and sell em high. I always add a disclamer when I mentiuon this. Buying like I do is risky, you stand to make a little money doing it but you also stand to lose a lot of money doing it. You have to have a sharp eye. Treat it right and it will pull through. You can't change the calfs past and why it is in this shape, but you can determine its future.

i agree, i think you can totally make money with this calf. mineral, grass, dewormer, and maybe a little grain and i have seen calves like this do a complete turnaround. he just had a rough go out of the starting gate. i have seen much worse turn out great. (and some that never did)

Beefy":2hpasd4r said:
i agree, i think you can totally make money with this calf. mineral, grass, dewormer, and maybe a little grain and i have seen calves like this do a complete turnaround. he just had a rough go out of the starting gate. i have seen much worse turn out great. (and some that never did)
what we call hard calves around here. we had good luck with these when i was roping calves. and could be bought cheaper then the just weaned on the trailor ones although they had a rough start as you say they were easier to get started and tough as nails.

Impress the neighbours, tell them you need to pay attention to the one you got coming on.

That calf is a poor doing pot bellied soon to be money pit. Don't ask me how I know.

( But then again, maybe you have access to "free" minerals and feed and possibly meds ) in which case this guy could be a money maker.

AngusLimoX":1td7oo53 said:
Impress the neighbours, tell them you need to pay attention to the one you got coming on.

That calf is a poor doing pot bellied soon to be money pit.
  • Don't ask me how I know.

( But then again, maybe you have access to "free" minerals and feed and possibly meds ) in which case this guy could be a money maker.
well given the calfs circumstance .gotta ask how you know?

ALACOWMAN":175acsad said:
well given the calfs circumstance .gotta ask how you know?

I have had a few cows that shouldn't be cows and they gave me calves that never really had a chance.

While I agree there is a chance this fella may come around I have fed a few steers like that, they will eat as much as a good doin steer but you end up with half the carcass. And what is there won't grade.

Let alone his health probs.

And I try to take a posters circumstance into consideration when I give advice.

well there's cows out there that should'nt be cows no doubt . this calfs moma may have been older and just quit milking. babies like this are prone to be loaded with parisites because their nutrition come from the ground, doesnt necesarily make him a poor doer.. just because he's done poor . he aint had his chance to prove himself with the right oppertunity he may make a complete turnaround plus he was free he can make money on him regardless

ALACOWMAN":3r3lhxn1 said:
he aint had his chance to prove himself with the right oppertunity he may make a complete turnaround plus he was free he can make money on him regardless

Well, you couldn't give him to me, he just has that look. Plus I don't have a surplus of feed, and we run a closed herd.

Just because there is no initial outlay on the animal it doesn't mean you won't have a lot into him before slaughter/sale.

It is up to calf saver to decide his/her risk tolerance. Fellas like Bama and Beefy with lots of experience and the ability to absorb a lot of risk - different story.

novatech":38cht5bc said:
I've had several bottle babbies that look like that after I wean them off the bottle. They have always grown out of it as they gotten older. I've deducted that they are missing something in there diet.

Yep... they're missing the appropriate amount of protein needed to make a calf grow! ;-)

I'd take him on in a heartbeat (shucks, he's standing, walking, and eating, is he not??? LOL) and I wouldn't pump him full of meds either. Little bit of wormer and then plenty of TLC and good feed designed for a growing calf, and I'll bet you come summer he'll slick off and look like any other calf in your field. The little guy has better than a fighting chance, in my book.

I'd take him in a heartbeat, too, Milkmaid... ;-) Unless the calf is a chronic lunger, he'll come around and make some money...and he's worth a try. And even if he is a chronic lunger, some TLC will still make enough difference to make some money on him. The price is sure right. :)

Alice

Alice":1od1hb16 said:
I'd take him in a heartbeat, too, Milkmaid... ;-) Unless the calf is a chronic lunger, he'll come around and make some money...and he's worth a try. And even if he is a chronic lunger, some TLC will still make enough difference to make some money on him. The price is sure right. :)

Alice

:nod:

I'm afraid I couldn't keep him in my dorm though, so I'll have to pass on the little guy. :lol:

Latest posts