Pics of new Red Angus Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

R. John Johnson

Reaction score
Said I would post pics of the new bull when he got here.

bull02-1.jpg

bull03.jpg

As you can see spring is a little late here this year. By the way, that is Lake Manitoba in the background.

And here's the girls he's spending the summer with. Everyone got a trailer ride to pasture this afternoon. Sorry about the quality of the pics.

bull01.jpg

bull04.jpg

What do you think of him?

John

Standing with the cows he looks like a short bull, to much front and he has no rear, but he is a nice color red.

You made the correct decision in principle, just not with the right bull.

If the reverse scenario was in play we would be applauding your choice -- A bull that carries the characteristics of your cows (deep, long, continental) put on a herd that was replete with the characteristics of your red angus bull (lack of rib spring, and insufficient rear). I am afraid you may be introducing problems that could easily be avoided since you already have a good foundation herd.

I am sure your F1 offspring would sell good across the scales but I would not plan on keeping any replacement heifers. If you have cast your lot with this bull, he will provide hybridization but that is the only positive I can find.

Regards,

Mr. Greenjeans

This is a little abrupt - but your bull is very pinched in the heart girth (which limits his aggressiveness in breeding and traveling after cows, and restricts his heifer calves in capacity and ability to carry a healthy calf during difficult nutrition times), he is cow hocked (another negative characteristc regarding mounting cows and manifesting stifle problems in his second or third breeding year), and he is very light hindquartered and cut up in the flank area, which does not bode well for producing easy calving females and profitable feeder calves.

Your subsequent calf crop will not be as genetically desirable as they should be for a profit-making operation. With Land, Feed and Overhead as high as it is right now, you should have the highest quality genetics and phenotype and functional traits in your seedstock as it is possible to get. This bull will not make you any money!

DOC HARRIS

The point that everyone missed (except Doc to a degree) is that you need to ask yourself why isn't he in the same condition as your cows with calves at the side.

He then better have a very good excuse or else...

I do like the color but he is seems to be "not put together" very well. . . he has no rear as said.....I also think that his shoudler's seem to be rather large.....a bit overpowering on his smaller frame

Here's a photo of a friends Red Angus bull. Taken in the Fall after a busy breeding season in a very large pasture. I think this is what we should all be after.

P1010097-2.jpg

mnmtranching":1vij9wv3 said:
Here's a photo of a friends Red Angus bull. Taken in the Fall after a busy breeding season in a very large pasture. I think this is what we should all be after.

P1010097-2.jpg
look's like he had a lot of ground to cover too

John,

The professional description by Doc Harris is excellent.

Also, I have never seen a RA with such phenotype. I am referring to the rather normal front assimilation and the unusual feminine retracted rear quarters. Almost buffalo style.

I am curious, is he a pure bred RA or...is he a mix?...of some sort.

Where did he come from....what part of the world?

If he is a purebred RA the breeder should have made a steer of him and he would be at..." mc-ky-dees".... by now.(or in Canada...perhaps...Jolly Rogers)

Just being constructive...no offence intended.

Latest posts