Pics of new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher":47yy2lh2 said:
I think it'd be interesting to watch him try to breed my cows. :lol:

Depending upon what size your cows are, may need some hills to get the job done. :lol: Where there's a will there's a way. These little guys have a lot of will.

Some of you don't read worth a hoot, but you sure try to find fault, that is for sure.

I said the animals of the 40's, 50's would MATURE to a larger size than people of today think. And they did. I have some old pamphlets that my dad collected in the 40's, 50's, with hip height and shoulder height as well as other measurements on those cattle, not some picture off the web where a steer is standing in straw, shown by some guy that is always really tall. Either that, or the showman is standing on a platform, but both the feet of the animal and the showman are cutout of the photograph, making the animals look smaller. My favorite though is how the ones that are really small are just shown with nobody in the picture, just a lead rope running steeply uphill to the "hand" of the showman. Those are really funny. I also love the way they take those pictures at a downward angle so you can see farther down the belly of the person behind them.

If you really want to find out, contact one of the Arkansas or Ohio experiment stations, they can help you. If not, just keep yakking on the internet. If you read the comments on some of those cattle, you will find that they agree with me. There are some frame 2 animals there, and then even an animal slightly less than frame size 1.

The comprest lines were smaller than average, but they still were about frame 1.5 average, they were not much smaller than that. Plus, those lines were not completely popular all over the US, they only were well favored in a small area. Really, only one breeder really propagated them, so I don't think he really had too big of an effect, do you? AI wasn't around was it?

The cattle of those days were larger than the miniherefords of today. If they weren't, then tell me why the frame score chart went from 1-9, and only now have the mini-breeders made it go to 0, 00, 000, 0000. When you can tell me that, then I will believe you, oh wait, no I won't, I have measurements taken from those times, I'm sure the inches in the 40's were the same size as the inches of today.

mtnman

So is this fella on his knees or real tall or what?

TO_model.jpg

He's about 6'4", but I can't remember his name, I want to say he is from Ohio, but I can't remember. Plus that animals is a frame 2.5 anyway, so what's your point?

I never said they didn't have any 2.5 frame animals, I said they were bigger than people thought, which is obviously true.

Everybody thinks these are frame 0 and less, but they are NOT. The only frame and less were the dwarfs, and now the minis.

mtnman

mtnman":347sah7z said:
Plus that animals is a frame 2.5 anyway, so what's your point?
And just how did you arrive at the 2.5 frame score for this animal

mtnman":347sah7z said:
I never said they didn't have any 2.5 frame animals, I said they were bigger than people thought, which is obviously true.
mtnman
They weren't bigger than people thought. I was involved with these animals at this time and knew just how big they were.
They may be bigger than some people think today.

la4angus":1owkdnfm said:
mtnman":1owkdnfm said:
Plus that animals is a frame 2.5 anyway, so what's your point?
And just how did you arrive at the 2.5 frame score for this animal

mtnman":1owkdnfm said:
mtnman
They weren't bigger than people thought. I was involved with these animals at this time and knew just how big they were.
They may be bigger than some people think today.

I'm with LA4 I of course wasn't around to personally see these cattle but they were bred to be small and fat because that was what was wanted at the time. They probably aren't as big as you think mtnman... There was a serious movement to downsize frame and increase feed effeciency back then and it came through in the cattle that you can see pictures of. THey do look smaller in pictures than you would think because of the straw being placed to make them appear that much smaller but they were still small cattle...

Latest posts