Pics of a few show Prospects (Opinions Please)

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Trying to get away to go look at these three animals. You guys want to give me some preliminary opinions? Let me know what you think, Pros and Cons based on the Pictures.

Feb 24
Reg. Angus Hiefer
New Frontier 095 x Connealy Venture

index002002.gif

Feb 25
Reg. Angus Hiefer
New Frontier 095 x Traveler 7111

index002001.gif

March 2
Maine Steer
Medicine Man x Elmo

index002003.gif

I'm not a show person, but I will give you my opinion :D

I like the 1st heifer better, just seems put together nicer and a bit longer by the pics.

I don't like the steer at all, but remember I am not a show person, so it could be fine for showing, I just don't anything about it!

Michele

not a bad steer. kind of fine boned and high flanked though. heifer at top seems pretty nice from what i can tell. but i think i like the second heifer better.

Well hear i go....

Heifer #1 is a verry nice heifer long and has a good straight back. she is longer than Heifer #2. she is also clean and smooth on theat shoulder. She has a good depth to her also. but i think personally she is keen boned on her front legs but angus calves have this sometimes JMO. all in all i like her.

Heifer #2 i like better than #1 because i think she has more volume and will be a bigger cow and calf easier. i'm not sure if it's her clip job or if she just has a high tail head?? Shs'e verry clean and smooth shouldered also. She isn't as keen boned as #1 either.

The steer calf is VERRY clean and has that smooth front. And i'm not sure if it's how hes standing or if its the angle of the picture but he looks like he might have a high flank. looks like he'll be wide and deep. and he carries that musle on the back leg far.

I like all 3 calves.

I wish the steer had the volume that the second heifer does, if so I would have already made the hour drive to look at them.

I really like both those heifers, and I'm not generally a fan of black so thats saying something!

Without seeing them walk, both heifers look like they have a good set of feet and legs which IMO is extremely important.

The second heifer certainly has more volume than the first, though I think the first has adequate volume for her age.

If I was choosing, I would go with the first heifer, she seems a little more broody to me. She's smoother and more feminine through the front end. I also really like her length - the old cattlemen around here always say length equals weight and weight gets you paid.

I'm wary of the shoulders and the possible high tail head on #2. Over here some of the angus are getting a high bony tail head and the bulls wont serve them because it cuts into their chest.

The steer looks promising, although I think you guys have quite a different appraisal system for steers than we do over here. When I'm choosing steers to put onto feed I like to see them long, wide over the top and with at least a hands width between the shoulder blades.

What I can see from this guy is that he's got some length, could do with a bit more. Could also do with some more volume as others have said. I think he's going to be a really showy calf and I know a lot of black cattle don't look the best in the ring but hang up well.

I'd say the trip down there would be worthwhile. Nice group of calves.

Donald, I'll make this short and sweet. I'll take the first heifer. I see her fitting into the Angus show really well. The second heifer looks to me like a really light boned Chi. I don't like her. The steer looks like a fair prospect, but I don't see him holding together as a tough market steer. I don't see the stifle POP that he needs, and he just doesn't look like his front legs will handle 1300 pounds.

AAOK":2zs4ihe4 said:
Donald, I'll make this short and sweet. I'll take the first heifer. I see her fitting into the Angus show really well. The second heifer looks to me like a really light boned Chi. I don't like her. The steer looks like a fair prospect, but I don't see him holding together as a tough market steer. I don't see the stifle POP that he needs, and he just doesn't look like his front legs will handle 1300 pounds.

I was thinking the same thing on the steer he seems a little straight on up through the shoulders. I will probably go look at the heifers, and give the Steer a look at.

I was thinking the the first Heifer had more show appeal but interested in looking at the Second one to see if she might work as a future cow to breed for Show steers? Any thought down that line?

Like the second heifer best.. really good depth and spring of ring, and looks clean fronted also.

Don't care much for the steer.. but you know a lot of times they look a lot better in person!

Edit:spelling errors
#1- has more show appeal, but IMO not the better heifer. I like her smoothness and lines.

#2- I really like her volume and capcity, she also has a lot more butt than the 1st one.

#3- I really don't care for him. He's to fine boned for me.

For the record there is a $500.00 difference in the asking price of the two heifers. The top one being the higher of the two.

First heifer is a definite possibility. I would pass on the 2nd, not feminine enough. The steer is a maybe, depending on structure, and how he looks from the rear. From the side, I don't like his muscle shape or size. Hard to judge anything with one small pic.

aplusmnt":2eijos5e said:
I was thinking the the first Heifer had more show appeal but interested in looking at the Second one to see if she might work as a future cow to breed for Show steers? Any thought down that line?

That's an idea that just might work. I don't think she is near as good as #1 for a Show Heifer, but bred to a bull such as Gambles Hot Rod, you just might get a decent Angus Show Steer prospect, or a more Clubby heifer.

First, I'm not an Angus person, (100% Hereford). I know a bit about Angus because my dad runs an Angus heard so I'll give you my opinion, take what you want leave the rest. ;-)

#1 This heifer has a good amount of eye appeal. She appears straight and correct. Her top-line is very nice, she's clean fronted, and she's got very good depth. I'd like to put some width and spring of rib on her, I'd also like a little more length. I'd like to see a picture with her head straight, as to see how her neck and shoulder tie in. From the picture it looks smooth but with her head turned it's hard to tell. ;-)

#2 I really like the Traveler lines, dad's got a few Traveler bulls that always produce big fleshy calves. This calf seems to have good muscle, spring of rib and length. I don't like her shoulder and neck, she's not near feminine enough in the neck and head. For her muscle I'd like to see her have more bone in her legs. Bred right I think you could fix her flaws and get a very nice calf. For a show prospect… I don't know, I'd have to see the calf. :D

#3 I know depending on the area your steers are going to differ. That steer wouldn't stand a chance in the shows around here, I don't think he's going to amount to much on the rail either, just my opinion. :frowns:

Overall I really like the heifers. I think they'd show well, then retire to be good cows that could defiantly produce show stock. The steer… :roll:

Latest posts