Pick'n time, bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

rocket2222

Reaction score
Around 3 and a half months old, tear him up.

IMG_3179111.jpg

IMG_3189111.jpg

WichitaLineMan":1g09cpdc said:
Tell us about his breeding.

Breeding, dams one of my older cows, mostly Canadian breeding (must be why Aaron likes him) :) Big T, WTK, and a little Victor on the bottom line. Sire's my Churchill bull. My usual hodge-podge outcross. Thought I might get some of those horned breeders to pick him apart, we could make a big fuss, but no takers today. :lol:

I like him - from as much as I've ever been able to tell from pics. Clean fronted and masculine - especially for 3 months. Good base width. Topline issues? probably just the photo. Seems maybe blocky for a heifer bull - I'd try him on some cows first.

I like him....

definitely a bully head for such a youngun!

Is this the same calf you posted a few months ago in the pic? Little high-headed suspicious booger??

rocket2222":321i11id said:
WichitaLineMan":321i11id said:

Breeding, dams one of my older cows, mostly Canadian breeding (must be why Aaron likes him) :) Big T, WTK, and a little Victor on the bottom line. Sire's my Churchill bull. My usual hodge-podge outcross. Thought I might get some of those horned breeders to pick him apart, we could make a big fuss, but no takers today. :lol:

Now you have my attention. Please, elaborate on these genetics. I have a pretty good idea which ones they are.

Your right...he is a terrible calf. :D :lol:

Aaron":3sazblim said:
rocket2222":3sazblim said:
WichitaLineMan":3sazblim said:

Now you have my attention. Please, elaborate on these genetics. I have a pretty good idea which ones they are.

The WTK is from 75A and Big T influence comes from a son we bought sired by Big T Stetson A70, dam was Big T Nikki Y108.

angus9259":mpuujnpq said:
I like him - from as much as I've ever been able to tell from pics. Clean fronted and masculine - especially for 3 months. Good base width. Topline issues? probably just the photo. Seems maybe blocky for a heifer bull - I'd try him on some cows first.

Not too worried about the top line, if you see him in person, he's fairly thick through his loin, makes the top line look uneven. Even though he's young, I still would like to see more muscle development and shape in his rear end though, he's lost some muscle there this last growth spurt, will see how he looks come weaning time.

LazyARanch":3c2v3hcv said:
I like him....

definitely a bully head for such a youngun!

Is this the same calf you posted a few months ago in the pic? Little high-headed suspicious booger??

Yep, it's the same calf, he's now slow and pokey like his momma. :)

rocket2222":1kymxycv said:
angus9259":1kymxycv said:

Not too worried about the top line, if you see him in person, he's fairly thick through his loin, makes the top line look uneven. Even though he's young, I still would like to see more muscle development and shape in his rear end though, he's lost some muscle there this last growth spurt, will see how he looks come weaning time.

That's the heck of it. Bought a potential cleanup sire a year ago as weanling. He looked awesome. The more he grows, the less I like him. Whatcha gonna do???

angus9259":dsaicuca said:
That's the heck of it. Bought a potential cleanup sire a year ago as weanling. He looked awesome. The more he grows, the less I like him. Whatcha gonna do???

If you're selling his calves at weaning age, he still might work for you. I really believe they should show some real potential at weaning and start looking like a bull then, than waiting for them to developed as yearlings or older. A lot of folks like to buy 2 year olds, I've never liked that idea, in my screwed up little mind, :) the only reason a breeder would keep a bull (that he wants to sell anyways) till he's 2, is because he had not developed enough to be put with the yearlings in the previous years sale. I don't want a bull that takes 2 years to developed. Ideally, for me, I want to see them look the part at weaning, but hold off buying till they're a year old, even if it cost a little more, most all the guess work should be gone by then. If this calf doesn't get a decent butt on him in the next couple of months, somebody will enjoy him for dinner, or breakfast, I love steak n eggs. :lol:

rocket2222":1h01ct3y said:
Aaron":1h01ct3y said:
rocket2222":1h01ct3y said:

The WTK is from 75A and Big T influence comes from a son we bought sired by Big T Stetson A70, dam was Big T Nikki Y108.

Had to look that Nikki up. Thought it was Meridian's dam, but she was Y188. Figured he had to have some Bond in him. Nice dark colour and has the shape and style of the old Bond calves. But with Bond and Big T behind him, I am sure he has a pedigree with some hefty birthweights. :cowboy:

AudieWyoming":1jmr2re4 said:
I can't believe no one has asked his birth weight.

Aaron":1jmr2re4 said:

Had to look that Nikki up. Thought it was Meridian's dam, but she was Y188. Figured he had to have some Bond in him. Nice dark colour and has the shape and style of the old Bond calves. But with Bond and Big T behind him, I am sure he has a pedigree with some hefty birthweights. :cowboy:[/quote]

102 lb's
eight days old here I think.
IMG_2662111.jpg

A decent looking calf. I like his conservative markings and pigment around the eyes. 102 lb birthweight would have gotten the knife here though. Too hard to sell large BW bulls around here.

Latest posts