Pick Them Apart

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
These are not my cattle. But I think it would be helpful to have pictures of a lot of cattle, and have folks talk about what they like and don't like. Please be specific. I have my thoughts on them, but I'd like to see how correct I am. Are there any good lots here? What's the worst lot? I think this is something that can really help those of us that are newer learn a lot.

https://jbsauctions.hibid.com/catalog/156062/white-rv-farms-registered-angus-bull-and-female-auction/

Bestoutwest said:
These are not my cattle. But I think it would be helpful to have pictures of a lot of cattle, and have folks talk about what they like and don't like. Please be specific. I have my thoughts on them, but I'd like to see how correct I am. Are there any good lots here? What's the worst lot? I think this is something that can really help those of us that are newer learn a lot.

https://jbsauctions.hibid.com/catalog/156062/white-rv-farms-registered-angus-bull-and-female-auction/
Already kinda have a thread for this

https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=101893

I like 35,34,11... Some of those suckers are fat enough for the rail and some look like they'd be laughed out of the sales barns here... Not very consistent...

Just taking a glance at it, I see a lot of very average looking stuff.

for heifers, 42 I don't like, 46 is miserable.. they both look like the calves that didn't get enough groceries or were sick for a long time

If I was going to generalize on the bulls, they are nearly all thick enough but most lack length. I am aware some cameras create this.

One or two decent heifers and the rest are average to poor.

I saw this before as it is sort of local for me. I didn't see anything which impressed me. If I were looking to buy right now (which I am not) I would head the other direction on I-84 and go to Harrell's or Thomas' sale on March 5 or 6 depending on which color I wanted. Much better cattle that are represented better.

Nesikep said:
Just taking a glance at it, I see a lot of very average looking stuff.

for heifers, 42 I don't like, 46 is miserable.. they both look like the calves that didn't get enough groceries or were sick for a long time

47 is pretty bad as well. Part of it is the picture. I'm not a fan of the bloodlines either. Like you say, some of them just look really thin. The prices are really sad. It will be interesting to see how they finish out.

Feeder calves with fancy pedigrees... the way they look they certainly make a name for themselves.. not a good name though

Be interesting to see what the prices end up at.

Bestoutwest said:

1c kind of rugged, decent body depth with larger head, legs too far behind him not calving ease, you can have him, not for me
2 finer bone than 1c with smaller head, calving ease, appears easy fleshing guessing better females
3 nice beefy bull, average calving ease, I question his feet and would like to see in person, but should be very good bull for terminal production
4 average but not calving ease
5 like better than 4 but too alert... doc?
6 average bull, pinched behind shoulders, only bull that you can see testicles and they appear acceptable, overall I'm not impressed
7 like him better than 4-5-6 but overall just average
8 seems to have some width, but nothing special
9 nope - lacks rib eye and front end... should have steered him
10 - similar to 3 in terminal, but I like 3's rib eye better
11 meh
getting tired of this exercise, 3 would be main bull of interest, depending on feet

Butch, thank you. These are real world bulls, most likely what a lot of guys on here buy and this really helps.

Cattle are apparently from an outfit in Eastern OR. Out of curiosity looked up a few pedigrees. Sale site data doesn't jive with AAA BD's nor respective sires. Funky deal. IMLTHO some guys with debatable knowledge/experience stuck their toes in the water, got a rude awakening and are bailing.

I saw the story behind one of the consignors. They said they started their dream in 2014 with 4 heifers they purchase from a breeder I had never heard of. They said since then they have been "blessed" with lots of heifer calves so they could expand their herd. That story didn't surprise me.

I saw the story behind one of the consignors.
Is its ok to do so and your willing, would you post the link?
they started their dream in 2014 with 4 heifers
Appears they might be struggling to make the seed stock 7 year mark. ;-)
After another and in depth perusal, IMO the sale website isn't doing this consignor any favors and certainly not by the posted lead pics regardless of took them. Further pic perusal indicates they might be better conformed than what a cursory glance indicates. Dam families aren't mainstream but certainly not totally obscure in the western neck of the woods. Last but not least many are sired by popular AI bulls. Not trying to make a case for the breeder(s), just a reminder that at first glance, sometimes things aren't what they seem.

well, they really ought to spend more time taking better pics of their animals in that case.. Just looking at the heifers they had they looked average at best.

I watched some of the sale. Most of the Black Angus heifers looked better live than in the catalog. My guess is the pics in the catalog were a bit old. The Charolais heifers were nice and docile and sold for $2800, $2300, $3500, and $2100 lots 100~103

Half the Red Angus were hi~headed snot blowers, a couple were pretty nice looking and calm.

One Charolais bull went for $5000 lot #11 and several went $4000. Didn't see the Black bulls sell.

Latest posts