Pet (Animal) Names...

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Another thread prompted this, but how far do you go with naming your animals? I talked to one of my neighbors and he has a name for all of his cattle (100+) or so he says.
I personally name all of our heifers Bessy.... Bessy #1... Bessy #2.. etc. Our bull calves get named after our favorite steak houses... And our heifer calves get bessy with whatever is the next number in line happens to be..

Not many of my cattle get named. But I have this 3 year old BA bull I named Jared. Anybody familiar with the Subway commercial where this guy named Jared lost some 150 pounds? Well I bought this bull as a fat yearling, had great growth like weighed 1400 pounds. Anyway guess what happened after a couple months with 30 heifers. :shock: :shock: :eek:

mnmtranching":34vss341 said:
Not many of my cattle get named. But I have this 3 year old BA bull I named Jared. Anybody familiar with the Subway commercial where this guy named Jared lost some 150 pounds? Well I bought this bull as a fat yearling, had great growth like weighed 1400 pounds. Anyway guess what happened after a couple months with 30 heifers. :shock: :shock: :eek:

ha ha thats funny.

i have plenty of names for ours. but now were kinda getting up there in the numbers and i cant think of enough names for them. but of corse all mine and my sisters show calves are named...doc, jenna, dora, chunky monkey, mollie, and dottie. but we have plenty of other names.

A girl I grew up with named her 4-H steer "Sweet Meat". I also knew a dairyman when I was a kid who had about 100 Holsteins and they were all named.

Crowderfarms":3qvuxr3m said:
A few hours ago, some of them got names called at them when we were getting a load up to go to the Stock Yards. :lol:
:lol2: :lol2:
Been there done that most of those names though you wouldn't want anyone else to here.I remember a few years ago loading holstein heifers in the trailer that were going upwest and the neighbors 3 miles to the SE of us could here our names being called guess the wind was just the right direction. :oops:

mnmtranching":185wl3ma said:

I might name him "Whooped"

Alice

Have one out of thirty named. Her mama fell and broke her neck the day she was born. We found her three days later. We couldn't catch her, and she went through the fence and got hit by a car. Vet said she wouldn't make it, but gave her a shot of strong steroids any way. She was up that night, gave her some colostrum, and raised her on a bottle. She had her first calf two weeks ago. We named her tuff.

Some of mine have names. Then I have heifers referred to as "The heifer out of Big 'Un" and "Ugly's heifer" etc. It sure helps when you are talking to family about a specific cow or her heifer/steer.

The steer I am going to have processed is generally called T-Bone or Rib Eye.

All of our purebreds have names. Other than them there are a couple with names. Princess was an orphan, Cowntess was her adoptee sibling. We have the Ballerina, named because at weaning she jumped our 6 foot high corral and never did get shipped but did get a name. She never jumps out of any other fence. We also have Chocolate Eater because she loves chocolate birthday cake (don't ask :shock: ). The rest have numbers but they all know their numbers so really they are more like names.

Crowderfarms":14rtv8x2 said:
A few hours ago, some of them got names called at them when we were getting a load up to go to the Stock Yards. :lol:

8 bred heifers were also called names when they were in the neighbour's vineyard yesterday morning.

All our cattle have names, because their all registered.
I have one named Kiley's Poinsetta, an I refuse to call her that. She got tagged Sweet Pea before we got home with her.

My grandpap, milked 50 head a day, and each had a name. Now, whether they actually knew them or not, I don't know. He could step to the milk parlor door an call one of em, an here she come. ;-)

warpaint":ud8t7l7n said:
All our cattle have names, because their all registered.
I have one named Kiley's Poinsetta, an I refuse to call her that. She got tagged Sweet Pea before we got home with her.

My grandpap, milked 50 head a day, and each had a name. Now, whether they actually knew them or not, I don't know. He could step to the milk parlor door an call one of em, an here she come. ;-)
Same here

all my cows have ear tags with numbers and thats there name, but when ever i work them or when ever they happen to get out they have a couple different names.

Oh yea, I got names for certain cows, just depends how bad they tick me off, and when they do it.

The bull is called Groucho, because he does this thing with his eyes that reminds me of Groucho Marx.

GMN

Just Curious":3g1kr7kr said:
Another thread prompted this, but how far do you go with naming your animals? I talked to one of my neighbors and he has a name for all of his cattle (100+) or so he says.
I personally name all of our heifers Bessy.... Bessy #1... Bessy #2.. etc. Our bull calves get named after our favorite steak houses... And our heifer calves get bessy with whatever is the next number in line happens to be..

While all of ours have real names on their papers, we call them or reference them by their ear tag #.

Latest posts