Pet (Animal) Names...

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms":2kf9sp09 said:
A few hours ago, some of them got names called at them when we were getting a load up to go to the Stock Yards. :lol:

Don't let the wrong people hear you! That might be viewed as verbal abuse.

All ours are registered so they get names. I name all the animals for the ranch I work for so I get to/have to name a lot each year. The ranch gets all the normal names (sweet pea, sweetness, angel, tawnie, die hard, vendetta...names that sound good and work for those animals. However, when it comes to naming my animals, thats when the fun starts. Some of the normal ones that i have or have named are Lanolin, Mandelin, Don't Sass Me, and Rose... the one's i really am proud of are Velcro, Zipper, Button, Paper Clip (all 4 are out of hte same cow), Lightbulb, Soapy, and my lil bull calf, hopefully a future herdsire, his name is Donkey (because the guy i own him and his dam with, and I think its funny). I like to have fun with my names, people remember them that way.

Kids name everything on the place, except calves going to the sale barn. If they stay on the place they get named. Except the last bred cow we bought a few months ago, no name fit it so it is just called 507 for its ear tag. Most of our cows were registered when we bought them but the kids tweak them to fit their approval.

Been thinking about naming them after people on here. Just waiting for that special Bovine that fits a Caustic, dun, Crowder etc...

All heifer get numbers, steers get named i.e. hambuger, t-bone, ribeye ect... do want any one forgetting what that are for....Although most everyone gets a name...sooner or later..

yep.. my daughter and wife seem to want to name all our animals... thing is, they want me to call em by their names, and I am not that good with remembering them.. maybe they should all have a license.... right Msscamp? lol

my daughter names her for the fair, last year they were named after candy, the angus was licorice, the red cross was twizzler, holstein was hershey and then they other was bubba, (after hubba bubba gum) this year its after coffee, we have two brown swiss cross they are mocha and latte' and we have one holstein (doubt it will make it to fair) named little joe havent gotten the beef yet, every year she makes its interesting, she always has a theme and she always enjoys it

mystery74":1wqbleac said:
my daughter names her for the fair, last year they were named after candy, the angus was licorice, the red cross was twizzler, holstein was hershey and then they other was bubba, (after hubba bubba gum) this year its after coffee, we have two brown swiss cross they are mocha and latte' and we have one holstein (doubt it will make it to fair) named little joe havent gotten the beef yet, every year she makes its interesting, she always has a theme and she always enjoys it
I like this idea... Each year have a theme... That's pretty neat!

aplusmnt":1bazvsbf said:
Kids name everything on the place, except calves going to the sale barn.

That was the rule around here at first. If it's staying, you can name it. If it's getting sold or eaten, no names. However, that went by the wayside when my youngest was the first to break the rule immediately by naming some of the broiler chickens Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Picnic. Now it seems to be a game.

All the "real" names go to the ones we consider pets or we know will be around a while - like the pygmy goats which I have no real use for other than entertainment. Their names ... get ready, this is original ... Billy and Nanny. Yeah.

Oh, and when I was 18 or 19 I ran a pack station and the owner had one Hereford calf he was raising for the freezer. Named her Herfie. She was penned right outside my trailer and I sat on her enclosure every morning drinking my coffee and talking to her. I was in charge of her the same way I was with the horses. My boyfriend at the time was MORTIFIED later that year when we had a bbq and I mentioned I was eating a "Herfie burger." Apparantly, I had comimtted a carnal sin by eating my "friend." LOL.

mystery74":2271twjg said:

My daughter decided to name her show pigs after candy this year. Her spot is snicker and her Duroc is twizzler.

Kids have followed themes last couple years. Last year was from the TV show "My name is Earl" we had the steer Earl, heifers Joy and Catalina.

This year we have Rocky theme, We have show steer Rocky, and feeder Steer MrT which was an easy choice since his mom was registered and her name was Miss T.

Latest posts