Personal Protection

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
RD-Sam":23ijqrei said:
mnmtranching":23ijqrei said:
I have to say. other then in wartime. Here in the USA I don't feel a need to pack. Just don't see the need to worry.
SO. tell me? What are Y'all afraid of?? :???:
I mean I travel. stay at at rest areas, truck stops approaches, whatever. what am I missing? What :shock: :shock: do you have guns in you sleeping bag WHAT??

I could be wrong, but I am guessing all those people that were beaten to death, stabbed to death, shot to death, and just plain ole mutilated by man and beast, wish they would have had a gun. I could be wrong though. My gun has stopped a tragedy on more than one occasion. Guns save lives! :nod:

As they say, "Never take a knife, bottle, club, chain, etc., to a Gun Fight"...

Also, lets not forget the muggings, kidnaps, rapes, etc., of women running, jogging, going from a store at night to her car in middle or back end of a parking lot, or in a parking garage, etc. It also pays to be VERY observant of one's surroundings, and AWARE of what suspicious people look like and are acting.

Think in terms of Green, Yellow, and Red: Green=Safe. Yellow= Caution & Alert, Red=Danger (Def Con 3). People look both ways when crossing a street. How many look both ways while walking, or entering a building?

Also...

We all know (or should know) places we shouldn't be ever: Dark alleys, "wrong" part of town, hitchhiking, alone in a broken down vehicle without a fully charged cell phone, etc.

Then, other areas of "Yellow" alerts: After dark...convenience stores, ATM machines, walking across a parking lot at night, in vehicle passing thru "questionable" part of town (especially if all windows and doors aren't locked) or stopped at a traffic light (especially between 2 vehicles in "bad" part of town)...even going into the Post Office at night!

And, if you have a flat and are only 1-2 miles from town...Drive on the Flat (or rim)...get to a safe place...much cheaper than getting carjacked or shot away from civilization.

If you're in your vehicle and decide to use mace or pepper spray, at the same time, HIT THE GAS pedal and get out of Dodge!

And, there is the issue of camping in park lands...predators lurk there...both 2 and 4 legged ones. Better to shoot something than to get killed or mauled...can always fill out the paperwork later when you are safe...

It's the anti-gunners and "turn the other cheek" people that end up victims. Home invasions? That's another chapter in the book also..."don't go and investigate...lock and load first...dial 911...and stay put and be prepared.

Bad people don't need guns to kill a person. Just heard about the US teenager who was beaten to death by a group of kids with a 2x4. Sad situation. :cowboy:

hillsdown":31ucxwmz said:
Just a question ,,but how many of you have seen a head blown apart from a bullet..
Especially your own ..

On animals, quite a few. But if we're talking humans:

Never have, hope I never will. But if the person formerly attached to that head had the slightest intention of harming one of my family members, I wouldn't bat an eye.

mnmtranching":3g5zdzs1 said:
I have to say. other then in wartime. Here in the USA I don't feel a need to pack. Just don't see the need to worry.
I mean I travel. stay at at rest areas, truck stops approaches, whatever. what am I missing? What :shock: :shock: do you have guns in you sleeping bag WHAT??
I've never had my house burn down either, but I still carry insurance just in case.

mnmtranching":1qw7b8yj said:

It's not the fact of being afraid it's the fact of being prepared.
You've been real lucky and I hope your luck continues.
But what if your luck runs out and you are not prepared?
Like Dun said it's just like having insurance.
You may never need it but if the time comes you do need it you'll be glad you had it.

Cal

I think in many cases guns are packed by people that are maybe to afraid. So the days of having car trouble or anything where you might have to knock on a door in the middle of the night are gone aren't they.
I think I've seen enough in just 1 year of my life that I'm not going to be to the point where i need a loaded gun on my nightstand. Yeah I've seen good people with parts blown off. The panic in a guys face with his throat cut, and I've seen a young guy trying to put his insides back. Just can't get all that worried these days.

Running Arrow Bill":3gjkx1yw said:
My wife has a Taurus Judge 410/45...really likes it. It's ok, but for me it kicks too much (wheel gun). I prefer a SA since the cycling takes a lot of the kick out, plus, you have more firepower.

When I carry, I use a Baretta 96 (.40)...without too much effort, I can knock off 1 round per second...or 3 in 2 seconds

IMO, the "best" SA's are:

Para Ordnance, Sig Sauer, Baretta, H&K, Glock, etc. Very reliable pieces. For personal protection you want something very good... [6 in a wheel is good...10+1 in a clip is better...lol].

I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a .380 for personal protection. Better still, a 9mm, .40, or .45 You want "stopping power"...not "tickling event"...lol.

For those toters that use a .22, .25, or .32...well, you better be a crack shot and hit a serious vital organ [e.g., brain or heart] with the first shot...want to stop the Pit Bull...NOW!

You can buy a whole box of clips at office depot or walmart for attaching papers together. You mean magazine not clip.

For backup I also carry on my person a RUGER LCP .380 it is a great gun for the price.

KMacGinley":12vidf4k said:
cfpinz":12vidf4k said:
Wife and I bought matching S&W 642's this spring. They're easy to conceal and we both really like them, plus they weigh next to nothing.
How romantic! :)

Darn right, especially if it is stainless steal. Nothing says I love you more than stainless.

For anyone interested in carrying in another state check out www.handgunlaws.us . Good site for those wanting to be prepared.
And yes I do carry. A snub nose S&W 38 in a shoulder holster and a 357 in each truck. Have been shot at but never hit, and have never had to shoot anyone. I have put a few over their head. Would not think twice if they were to bother a family member or friend.

I have traveled many times through your country and always felt safe, I guess now I should rethink that.

Why are so many of you being shot at and in circumstances where you need to carry.

I love where I live it is a small very quiet community we all look out for each other. I do not lock my doors even when I am alone at night. I run to town for 3-4 hours and my doors are left unlocked .

I know that times are changing but I feel sorry for those of you that have to carry a cw just to feel safe. I hope there will be a time where we can take back our communities; but it seems that things are going backwards instead of forwards and more of the way of the wild wild west.

My mom always worries about me being here alone or checking cows in the middle of the night, but for now I feel safe and am smart about things I do just as RAB stated in his well thought out post.

Yes ,I have seen first hand what a gun can do to a human head and it has scarred me for life.

HD, wish it was that way here. The stealing for drugs have gotten so bad that I will lock the truck if I come in the house for more than a few minutes. Even lock it while working on the farm. Not much help from the law either. If they do get arrested they will be back out usually the same day.
Can't get them to work but they will steal all night and sleep all day.

hillsdown":1rv7xj5o said:
I have traveled many times through your country and always felt safe, I guess now I should rethink that. Why are so many of you being shot at and in circumstances where you need to carry.
You don't need to rethink. There's not so many as you would surmise from reading this ridiculous thread. :D

Some parts of this country are safer than others. Right now I wouldn't want to live around the mexican border, lots of people are being killed their by drug runners. There are usually several people a day gunned down around Atlanta where I live, business owners are shot on a daily basis almost. I had a couple of instances where they came into my business while I was there working late at night with the doors open, if not for my 44 mag I would most likely be dead now. I've had other times when unsavory characters tried to pull something on me, a gun stopped me from either being beaten and robbed or shot. Big cities are not very safe in this country anymore, and they are getting worse. I saw something on a news show the other day, they have named Atlanta the "New Harlem".

After some shooting, and consideration, I have decided on the smith 9mm. I hope and pray I never need it. I really do appreciate all the suggestions and comments and hope those that feel safe continue to feel that way, and are. We have had rain, the grass is good, the heifers are in great shape and I will miss them, and the dogs, oh yeah the wife too. :lol2: I hope I can get this new laptop to ginnin so I can stay in touch with y'all. A joke- know what the plural of y'all is? all y'all of course.

:lol2: Gun nuts! I saw some guy walking around the walmart parking lot in Vidalia the other day with a holstered gun. Stupidest thing I've seen in I don't know when. He's lucky somebody didn't wack him over the head and take his gun.

NR if I read it right you are going to be driving a cab ?

Even in my small sleepy safe community, cab drivers have been shot/killed and robbed.

So all I have to say to you is be very safe and if you need to have a HG to do that then Gods speed.

Did I tell you all how much I love where I live.. :heart:

GA thanks, as I am planning a trip to Salem, Oregon soon to see my Bro and was getting a little apprehensive. Hubby wants to take the RV and see your beautiful country again like we did for 3 weeks in 02 .. I am glad that we can still feel safe.. :)

How far is Colorado from Oregon again ,we may need to take a little side trip as well.. ;-)

hillsdown":2icuth5j said:
NR if I read it right you are going to be driving a cab ?

Even in my small sleepy safe community, cab drivers have been shot/killed and robbed.

So all I have to say to you is be very safe and if you need to have a HG to do that then Gods speed.

Did I tell you all how much I love where I live.. :heart:

GA thanks, as I am planning a trip to Salem, Oregon soon to see my Bro and was getting a little apprehensive. Hubby wants to take the RV and see your beautiful country again like we did for 3 weeks in 02 .. I am glad that we can still feel safe.. :)

How far is Colorado from Oregon again ,we may need to take a little side trip as well.. ;-)

Nope, I work in a machine shop, work alot of late hours. I've had the police come by several times and tell us we shouldn't work at night with the doors open, they said it isn't safe around here. :lol2:

mnmtranching":pva2svku said:
RD, Do you understand it's freaks like you that add more to the anti gun movement then even the far lefties?
No question! I've seen freaks like you with the gun.
Not a good mix.

OH, :nod: By the way I will leave Y'all with that thought. :wave:

I have a 357 and a 5.45 on an AR lower too. :lol2: Have a couple of big knives in case I run out of ammo too. :lol2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts