Pearl Millet: to graze or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

Copenhagen & Shiner B

Reaction score
where the sand meets the clay in South Carolina
I planted pearl millet on a piece of new ground on May 17. It has rained less than an inch on it since it was planted and it is only about 8 to 10 inches tall. We are in drought here and I will be out of grass in a week if I do not get some heavy rain quick. I am considering turning the cows loose on it when I run out of grass every where else, but I am scared of nitrate poisoning(I only used 200 pounds an acre of 17-17-17 at planting). Anybody have an opinion or experience? I am also considering shutting them up and feeding wheat straw.

I'm not sure but, I think you should be ok with the nitrates. Would it be possible to rotate them through your millet. You could also buy your time and only let them have it for a few hours a day.

Have you thought about sending off a forage sample just to be sure? I mean thats not much nitrogen on it (34 lbs if you didn't lose any), but maybe better safe then sorry. Your state may have a testing lab at Clemson or you can send it to Cumberland, MD to Cumberland Labs.

for about $75 you can buy your own nitrate test kit and it only takes a few seconds to get the results and you can use it several times

with only 34lbs of N it is unlikely that it will have a high nitrate level even if it has been severely stressed due to drought and most times when it will be after the stalks are bigger that what yours are

Copenhagen & Shiner B":1ax58oej said:
I work all day and do not live on the farm anymore so rotating for a few hours would be difficult.
HI. What would you have done with the Millet had it grown proper? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":2b10ds7h said:
Copenhagen & Shiner B":2b10ds7h said:
I work all day and do not live on the farm anymore so rotating for a few hours would be difficult.
HI. What would you have done with the Millet had it grown proper? Thanks in advance.
I would have turned the cows in on it on a day on/day off basis after it got knee high(20 to 24 inches) until they nubbed it down to about 6 inches.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":14xwtznj said:
Kingfisher":14xwtznj said:
Copenhagen & Shiner B":14xwtznj said:
I would have turned the cows in on it on a day on/day off basis after it got knee high(20 to 24 inches) until they nubbed it down to about 6 inches.
Thanks for your reply, How big a field and how many cows? How long does it last the way you propose to use it? What did you end up doing? Get any rain?

Thanks for your reply, How big a field and how many cows? How long does it last the way you propose to use it? What did you end up doing? Get any rain?[/quote]
Just a 1.5 acre field and 11 brood cows. I usually plant in May and it last until mid September when I plant rye. I got close to an inch here last week,but it is only about a foot tall now. I plan grazing it for few hours a day starting friday. My daddy will when pull them off or put them in when he comes up to my place to cut okra or pick peas every day. I started feeding hay this past saturday.

Copenhagen & Shiner B
where is SC are you able to buy Pearl Millet? My farm is in Chester, SC and i would like to give Pearl Millet a try for Dove's this coming year. Let me know if you get a chance.
thanks,
dk

dmkubota":1hxwpkky said:
Copenhagen & Shiner B
where is SC are you able to buy Pearl Millet? My farm is in Chester, SC and i would like to give Pearl Millet a try for Dove's this coming year. Let me know if you get a chance.
thanks,
dk
Pearl millet is not much good for doves,brown top millet is the best. You can buy Pearl Millet at Salt Pond Farm & Garden.

ok, thanks. I've been planting browntop millet and Milo for the past 5 or so years and had someone mention pearl millet. They said it was drought tolerant, so that was my thinking. Thanks for letting me know. I think I will go with wheat this fall instead.

dmkubota":tcvdf4n5 said:
Copenhagen & Shiner B
thanks,
dk
Where in Chester County? Lowrys,Great Falls, Richburg, Fort Lawn, Edgemoor, etc.?

Latest posts