Pear trees

Help Support CattleToday:

calfbuyer

Reaction score
I planted two bartlett pear trees about 5 years ago and they did real good for the first 2 years. Since then they look like he!!. They have a black scaley looking bark and the leaves maintain a yellowish tent and never green. They aren't really growing at all either. I have a pecan orchard and also have peach, plumb and apple trees planted near them BTW I'm in central Texas.

Do a soil test. The leaves being yellow is usually an indicator that it needs iron or the ph is to high. You might want to try iron chelate or sulfur.

I'm surprised that Bartlett is even still alive 5 years later in your location. Fireblight usually eats its shorts.
Bartlett is NOT suitable for most warm, southern US locations - but it's certainly possible that, if it came from one of the 'big box' stores, that it's not really Bartlett, regardless of what the tag said.
Look here for suitable varieties: http://www.womacknursery.com/pears.html

Thanks Lucky, I think i'm gonna have to dig em up and start over. They just won't do any good, i tried adding iron and it didn't help. I bought my pawnee pecans and other plumb, peach and apple trees from Womack's they have a great nursery and business.

Latest posts