Paying a Farmer to board your Cow or rasie your first cow

Help Support CattleToday:

suzukirfboy

Reaction score
Ok, Please don't think I'm crazy for asking this but I live in a city but I want to start raising cows. I want to start slow and learn this the right way. Im in Charlotte NC and I remember growing up and buying pigs every year and we would pay for feed and time my dad's friend used to take care of the Pigs and we would sell 2 and keep one. My question is it unusually or hard to find a Ranch or Farm that will let you bring or buy calves from them and pay them to keep the calves there. I would pay for feed/hay and boarding but on my off days and weekends I would want to come to the farm and learn about the animals and how to farm/ranch the animals from good people that care about their animals. I'm not looking to make alot of money or any money. I want to learn how to raise animals.

I would like to start with a beef calve at first and then maybe add a calf every 6 months until I cant get my own land. Any help or direction you can provide will help alot. Thank You in Advance and I look forward to talking you guys.

suzukirfboy":3biz3l56 said:
My question is it unusually or hard to find a Ranch or Farm that will let you bring or buy calves from them and pay them to keep the calves there. I would pay for feed/hay and boarding but on my off days and weekends I would want to come to the farm and learn about the animals and how to farm/ranch the animals from good people that care about their animals.
Shouldn't be hard at all. I have a deal like that in place with a nephew of mine in exchange for him helping me with working cows, fixing fence, etc. We're both very happy with it.

If you can do it like ga.prime, it can be a very valuable LEARNING experience as well as a fair way to start. The only problem is being sure you can trust the people you are handing your money over to. Most everybody I know in the cattle business are pretty straight up, honest folks. But there are also some liars and cheaters that can cost you big and ruin your opinion of the cattle business and all of those in it. Where are you located? You might find a member here close enough and willing to help.

BTW,

:welcome:

I would advise you to find a prospective facility and approach the farmer about helping them in their operation, thus the opportunity for you to learn about cattle work in general and also learn their standards of animal care. Be prepared for some suspicion, as there are undercover operatives around. Craig

Like the others say just ask around and be cautious. My uncle used to do that for others. Usually for freezer beef. They"d buy the calves and he would raise them. But he would also go with them to buy the calves to make sure they were not sick or wild.

Thank's guy's, I'm learning this is a whole new world and my knowledge base is at the zero level. I'm in Charlotte NC, I have been looking at farms online but if there is a member on here that's in NC or SC that might know of a good farmer. I would be so thankful. I think some concerns that you guys have said are some of the big ones I have too. I just want to meet good genuine people. Anyway I'll be bugging you guys for a lot of help or suggestions as I continue to read through the pages.

Thanks for the Input, If there is anyone in the NC/SC area that might know of a farm that is ran by GOOD People. I'd be willing to pay for the calves and fees and vaccinations if you will teach me.

Thanks for the insight you guys have given me so far. I look forward to this long hard journey but fun journey. I got off of work this morning and have been reading all the knowledge that I see on these pages. I'm glad I found this forum and will look for to developing friendships from here.

I did that with a 10-year-old nephew. It was primarily a learning experience for him - and a tie to rural life, since he grew up in the city. He visited in the holidays.

You can own a cow on my farm, if you like, but it's a bit far to come and visit. ;-)

I'm impressed that you want to learn this way and just wish you lived closer. I'm sure you can find someone who will work with you. Just get everything ironed out ahead of time and WRITE it down. This will ensure there are no hard feelings later.

Putangitangi yeah that is a long way to travel to shovel and throw hay hang fence. If I could drive there i'd be own it hahahaha.

Victoria thank you for that, what kind of things do I need to keep a close watch on. I am going to Tractor supply tomorrow and Southern States tomorrow and try to make contact with farmers. I should probably come to an agreement on the price it cost to keep the animals there, probably how long they will allow me to keep it there? What else would you guys suggest writing down. Thank You again

Most states have a farmers market bulletin for free classified ads, you should consider placing a wanted ad "pasture lease & care wanted for 1-2 cows". Craigslist is an option too, but might net you more of the schemer types. A postcard on the bulletin board of a local feed store might be fruitful too. ...not crazy at all, good luck!

Latest posts