Pay no attention to this post

Help Support CattleToday:

Drivers of large trucks, and buses were involved in 18% fewer fatal crashes per mile driven than the general population.
Significantly safer than the average male driver on the road, but not quite as safe as females.

Last edited:
The easiest reduction in fatal crashes would be to limit drivers under the age of 21 to daylight hours only.
Although it would be unpopular it's something parents should consider when possible.

Last edited:
They can if they live at home.
Graduated from a relatively small high school, but seemed every graduating class back in the '70s had lost a member before graduation and definitely a couple more by the 5 year reunion.
Lucky on the high school death rate here. Also a small school. A few died after.

As far as them still living at home, the Gen Z crowd don't know what '"no" means so we'd get some good tantrum videos (which the parents would need to take because those kids will make accusations these days).

Good morning Jeanne! You'll like this.
Couple of city kid nephews came to visit this weekend. They can't bait a hook, but they finally figured out how to reel one in.
I woke them before daylight, told them to put their boots on, and drenched them with coffee. Screen grab. Video language violates the rules.90340B10-01C0-473A-9BF1-BEA1539B72ED.jpeg525B9573-9D82-422D-A3DB-8DA37D4471A2.jpegD2F5C43D-573D-4F90-89A6-76234579C613.png

miscellaneous trivia

The umbrella was originally invented for women to use for shade 4,000 years ago.
It wasn't until the 1700s that it was socially acceptable for a man to use an umbrella in the rain.
When I was very young, I had never heard an umbrella called an umbrella. It was referred to by both my mother and grandmother as a parasol.
Men didn't speak of such contrivances, and even the county guy that mowed the ROW, called the round collapsible shade over his tractor seat, a parasol.

I am a Harvard graduate. Seven years at Harvard. Well that is if you count kindergarten. It was Harvard elementary school. But I did graduate from Harvard in 1963.
lol
On Green Acres Mr Douglas was impressed that a local had graduated college from Harvard, until he learned it was Harvard Barber College.

I think a Hank Kimball has worked at almost every County Extension Office in the country
[Actually I would expect nothing less, It's the government and their here to help]

Good morning Jeanne! You'll like this.
Couple of city kid nephews came to visit this weekend. They can't bait a hook, but they finally figured out how to reel one in.
I woke them before daylight, told them to put their boots on, and drenched them with coffee. Screen grab. Video language violates the rules.View attachment 26731View attachment 26732View attachment 26733
I bet they had a blast. Hard to believe there are people that never fished!!! Being born & raised in the city (Rhode Island), all my family are city dwellers. But, we all fished! Family started making the 5.5 hour trip as soon as we moved here. My "city" family is very accustomed to our farm life. It is soooo great to share it with them. I generally have 10-12 visit for a full week for Thanksgiving week. Wall to wall air mattresses in my house. I go hunting with the gang, and my sister and niece plan and do all the cooking and cleaning. Nephews are always offering to give me a ride on one of their quads to get to my stand, but I always say NO, I'm walking. When we do a drive, I'm always a walker. Great fun.

Dad talks about when he was growing up on the farm in Illinois there was a guy from Chicago that came out to a neighbors place with his friends to hunt for mushrooms. He got lost and just started running, he was all pealed up, cloths in tatters from running to the barbed wire fences by the time he got to the farm. All the guy could say was the first name of a neighbor, had no idea where he was. They figured out what neighbor it was took over then. He said he was going to get the car, and wait from his friends; he was not going ever leave city again. Dad said he was just scared to death; I guess there was just to much open space for him.

Heard a similar story about a 20 yr old farm boy years ago who was to meet a friend in Chicago arriving on the L train.
He got down to the loading platform hoping to be in position to meet as soon as it arrived. When the train start unloading he was overwhelmed by a sea of 'ethnic' faces, he turned and started running in fear for his life. Took his friend over 20 minutes to finally find him. I guess there were just too many people in the big city for his first visit, and it triggered stranger danger.

Last edited:
Dad talks about when he was growing up on the farm in Illinois there was a guy from Chicago that came out to a neighbors place with his friends to hunt for mushrooms. He got lost and just started running, he was all pealed up, cloths in tatters from running to the barbed wire fences by the time he got to the farm. All the guy could say was the first name of a neighbor, had no idea where he was. They figured out what neighbor it was took over then. He said he was going to get the car, and wait from his friends; he was not going ever leave city again. Dad said he was just scared to death; I guess there was just to much open space for him.
I've seen someone do a version of that in 'The Big Woods'.
Get turned around, confused, scared and just tear out thru the brush and vines hoping to break out into daylight & find a road or house..

Latest posts