Paws the Ground - - but "Never" Charges

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased a very nice looking pair this spring. The cow is bossy, and was a bit protective when anyone else calved. I assume she scared the previous owner.

This time of year - - I put a pail of grain the the corral once in a while to help bunk break the group. When I show up with a pail, she comes right up to the the gate, and then paws the ground... I can walk past her w/o a problem and as soon as I dump the bucket she is head down and eating.

Is she thinking she can chase me away from "her" pail, or just an assertive chow hound, or what ? I am tempted to smack her on the nose.

Someone needs to be the boss, right now it sounds like her, a smack to the nose can't hurt. I assure you she is not counting.

I have a cow that paws occasionally.

A friend of mine thinks she's grumpy.

I think she's smart --- throwing dirt on her tummy to get rid of a few flies. I don't think she has a cross bone in her body.

In your case, sounds like smack on the nose might not be a bad idea. Dunno. :shrug:

cow pollinater":24xqaote said:
Chow hound. If she'll get close enough to eat right next to you she's not mean.

I like to think so. I was not sure about the counting.

I have a big SD range bitch that was very very difficult to catch. Wise, and had the flight range of old buck. When I finally trapped her using her calf as bait - - she would stand in the center of the corral with her head really high and paw like mad if anyone else would even get close to the fence. I had to load her out by myself, and I was carrying a big bat rather than a paddle.

Stocker Steve":2kydtxf8 said:
cow pollinater":2kydtxf8 said:
Chow hound. If she'll get close enough to eat right next to you she's not mean.

I like to think so. I was not sure about the counting.

I have a big SD range be nice that was very very difficult to catch. Wise, and had the flight range of old buck. When I finally trapped her using her calf as bait - - she would stand in the center of the corral with her head really high and paw like mad if anyone else would even get close to the fence. I had to load her out by myself, and I was carrying a big bat rather than a paddle.
After about the third time that something tries to take you off the back of a horse it will change your perspective on the definition of "nuts". :lol: I've learned to ignore a lot of bluff. I finally culled eight of the worst that would keep chasing the truck after all of the hay was off just to get to ME and that settled everything down quite a bit. :mrgreen:
I have two that will paw when they're a little nervous and both are gentle enough that I don't have any problem having the kids around them and I'm pretty picky about which cattle my kids get to handle.