Pasture Renovator

Help Support CattleToday:

Skyhigh,

Thanks for the advice. Do you think you could effectively disc it lightly in the spring and get a good stand if overseeded to graze by summer? I could pull the cattle off for a month or so while the other ground rested.

Kyle

ragweed":3qxzqsd4 said:
Have you considered wick bar and rdup ?

I built a wickbar this past Fall and plan to try it this Spring. I've heard good and bad, but will use it and will also spot spray generic glyphosate.

tnwalkingred":2q0mch08 said:
Skyhigh,

Thanks for the advice. Do you think you could effectively disc it lightly in the spring and get a good stand if overseeded to graze by summer? I could pull the cattle off for a month or so while the other ground rested.

Kyle

tnwalking,
I think you can lightly disc and get a good stand in the spring but I prefer to do mine in the fall. I have done it in the spring before. I personally do not like to graze within a good 6 months of overseeding because its a moot point to plant it and have cattle graze and pull up what you planted. My reasoning is in the fall I will be feeding hay sometime anyway so it wouldnt matter if cattle are off that section or not. However if I overseeded a pasture and could cut it for hay I would cut it and leave cattle off it.

I have a Hay King and I've been disappointed in the long term results because I can't detect any. Literature backs that up with regard to aeration in general. My soil is sandy loam.

Best use for it is to loosen the sod for overseeding ryegrass but it takes 15 hp per shank to pull it deep enough to make a difference, I had to add extra weight, and the shanks wear out and have to be replaced.

gabby":20tlf1lx said:
I have a Hay King and I've been disappointed in the long term results because I can't detect any. Literature backs that up with regard to aeration in general. My soil is sandy loam.

Best use for it is to loosen the sod for overseeding ryegrass but it takes 15 hp per shank to pull it deep enough to make a difference, I had to add extra weight, and the shanks wear out and have to be replaced.

Was the ground REALLY hard? If your top link is adjusted right you should have no problem with it digging. In fact you should feel it suck the rear of the tractor down.

Latest posts