Pasture Renovator

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog

Reaction score
What are you folks opinions on type of pasture renovator? I'm looking at the Hay King which has the coulter and the other style which looks like just some box blade shanks mounted onto a toolbar. No kind of angle like the Hay King.

TRI 5 shank new through sweettractor.com is $708 delivered.

Hay King 3 shank new is $1150 local and 4 shank new is $1650.

Personally I have never used a renovator but I have used chisel plows for the same effect. I couldn't personally justify spending that $ on something that I could use a chisel plow to do. How big of an area would you be renovating ?

oh ok. How often would you use the renovator? Is it possible to rent one from farm co-op or anything? I just ask because for any piece of equip. I buy I try to justify the purchase.

Implement would get used once a year for hay/pasture, but thinking I could use it somewhat as a subsoiler in the garden 2-3 times a year. I would also try to drum up some pasture services.

No Bermuda here either. Pasture and hay is Bahaiagrass.

I wouldn't buy it with the intent on drumming up business solely but I also don't run my chisel plow through my fields every year that being said I will overseed every year and lightly disc the field after seeding. I personally don't see the need to pasture renovate in that manner every year. There is some that have some great pastures that all they do is keep it limed and fertilized correctly each year and some that do nothing to their land and it still produces fine.

Wouldn't be purchased to drum business. Our pasture has never been touched in 20 years. I just think it could handle some TLC. This spring I have a battle/war to start with Smutgrass, again from the lack of TLC. I cannot disc the whole pasture as I need pasture to graze on.

I gotcha. Is it possible to keep the cattle on the hayfield with temp fencing and disc the pasture in non agressive setting just to cut open the land and aerate it some and overseed ?

Mud - This is a pasture I had started leasing that hadn't been touched in about 20 some years and I overseeded disced limed and fertilized this is it last spring after my pasture renovation the previous fall. This by no means is the best pasture out there but my way works for me but may not work for you .

Looks good. Hopefully mine will look like that once the Smutgrass is gone. I don't wish Smutgrass on anyone. I got a clumb in my duck pen and even my ducks don't try to eat it. My biggest hurdle is that I'm trying to work on this while still grazing as I cannot move the herd anywhere else. I made me a weed wiper this fall and will give it a try in the spring on the Smutgrass. Once I get the Smutgrass controlled, then it will be time to lime and fertilize as no point in fertilizing the weed.

In some places I'm dealing with heavy compaction by nature of the land.

I had smutgrass in one area pretty thick a strip about 100'L x 10' w and chisel plowed the area used a landscape rake raked up the root clumbs of all grass then put down 50lbs of fescue and it took care of that problem. I know you can't do that but thats what fixed mine.

Mudhog, you need to do something and a renovator will work and not set you back much in hay or pasture. You need to bust the hardpan up and get some air in the soil. You will have more grass than you have now and it will be thicker, which will kill the weeds off. I use to live down around Erath, and I downed a few at the Oaks too.

Skyhigh,

I have a pasture that needs to be renovated. I tried no tilled some fescue in it last fall but it didn't help much. I think I need to work the ground up a little. What would you recommend? I have a disk and chisel plow both. Would you plow it then disk it or just do one of those?

Kyle

tnwalkingred":tpu4xyc4 said:
Skyhigh,

I have a pasture that needs to be renovated. I tried no tilled some fescue in it last fall but it didn't help much. I think I need to work the ground up a little. What would you recommend? I have a disk and chisel plow both. Would you plow it then disk it or just do one of those?

Kyle

tnwalking,
this is what I do but a lot will not agree with my method and call it wasteful. I have a drill but do not use it. This is what I do for established areas. First thing I do is get soil where it should be. control weeds then do this method. what I do is in the fall either mow it low or let the cattle munch till it is fairly low. Then take the 3pt spreader and start spreading up and down the field and crossways to try to maximize coverage I then get off and walk around making sure I have some good coverage then hook up the disc and set it to where its aggressive but not super aggressive the discs are about 2 inches in the ground and it should leave some ridges in the ground from fluffing up the dirt. The board on the back should drag to help make sure seed to soil contact happens. I have great results in my eyes that work for me and the cattle. if you have cattle on it and you cant take them off or don't have an area to move them too you cant really get too aggressive with my method. If your soil needs working and you don't have to stick your cattle on that area for a year then chisel plow is what I suggest then disc the soil up until its very fine spread seed then lightly disc it in. If you have any questions pm me im no expert by any means but my cattle won't lack any grass either.

Latest posts