Pasture, Rangeland, and Forages Insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":2l1w964h said:
Bright Raven":2l1w964h said:
M-5":2l1w964h said:
The ones that defend it are the ones in the welfare line getting every dime they can but bytch and moan about food stamps and other people taking money they have not worked for.

That is calling out the hypocrites! Worth repeating.

Anyone who stands in the welfare line, defined as - ANY MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT FOR ANY PROGRAM is WELFARE - stop your bytchin and moanin about welfare. I don't whine about it because I am the man on the front of the line. Let me count the ways:

1. Civil Service Annunity N/A
2. Medicare recipient N/A
3. CAIP cost share programN/A
4. Civil Service Health Insurance Program N/A
5. Social Security which helped shelter and care for my dear mom and dad in the Mt. Olivet nursing home. I am made to pay it but don't expect to ever see a dime
5. Federal highways I paytaxes to use the highway
6. My freedom and security is defended by the armed services of the USA. My taxes support this
7. I received my degrees at a State Land Grant University. Couldn't afford it so I went to work
8. My food is safe because of the FDAThey cause more problems than cures should be abolished
9. The Air, Water and Environment is under the protection of the greatest power known to man with the exception of Gravity and Nuclear Fusion - The Environmental Protection Agency of the USA.biggest fraud agency ever created , My solution is not for the board
10. And the list goes on. Keep the list going , you are so off base with it its comical with your MYGOV.COM MIND

You will never hear me bytchin and moanin. Now, if any of you other USERS receive any benefits from any welfare program defined as -ANY MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT FOR ANY PROGRAM is WELFARE - stop your bytchin and moanin.

I think five did a pretty good job straiting out that load BS.
I don't consider crop insurance to be in the same category as welfare. But not far from it.. I have noticed the guys that dont fertilize, spray weeds, spray armyworms etc...are the ones who trucks i see in the parking lot of the FSA. People become complancent when they have a net. They don't try as hard. And before you know it they're eating outta the trough.

I'm going up the hill to the Valero and see if they'll give me a big stack of lotto tickets and let the State Treasury take the cost of them out of my winnings......otherwise, I'll just go back and pay for them after the drawing tomorrow night.

Can you imagine, trying to convince a store clerk to let you do that with scratch off tickets?
What a deal!!

(Disclaimer:
I do not play the lotto, do scratch off tickets, or otherwise gamble for $$ except an occasional penny poker game..maybe once a year with relatives)

(I wonder............would they be willing to do the opposite? Too much rain and the taxpayer pay my FEMA flood insurance premiums out of my proceeds and I only pay if it doesn't flood?)

By Darryl's definition of welfare or even the Government Accounting Office, every American will receive an entitlement or welfare as Darryl defines it.

Between birth and death almost every American will receive benefits from one of these six federal "welfare" programs: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, welfare (TANF), unemployment benefits, and food stamps (SNAP).

Bright Raven":oqiyc6ag said:
By Darryl's definition of welfare or even the Government Accounting Office, every American will receive an entitlement or welfare as Darryl defines it.

Between birth and death almost every American will receive benefits from one of these six federal "welfare" programs: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, welfare (TANF), unemployment benefits, and food stamps (SNAP).

None so far.... when bush sent me my stimulas check I sent it back.....wife is still pissed.

callmefence":1zdq7x0t said:
Bright Raven":1zdq7x0t said:

None so far.... when bush sent me my stimulas check I sent it back.....wife is still be nice.

Lol. I don't blame her. Damn Texacan.

Tell you what I bet. Darryl didn't send his back!!!!!!

Bright Raven":110jgvb8 said:
To my knowledge, this nation has no active metal smelters. I was living in Helena, Montana when the East Helena Lead Smelter shut down. It was the last lead smelter in the USA.

On a manufacturing level, we have reverted to the Stone Ages. A time before mankind discovered that he could put ferrous bearing stones in a kiln and melt the iron out of them. Then, big ugly guys in loincloths would stand around the smelted metals and pound it into iron.

The biggest expense for manufacturing is labor. High hourly wages, retirement benefits, health benefits, etc. The loss of manufacturing in the USA was not because of regulations. That is rhetoric - it makes a great campaign story, but the truth is - executives of manufacturing companies saw that they could build their plants in Mexico, India, China, Pakistan, etc and use the cheap labor. No benefits. Just more profit. Not criticizing the executives, they were smart.
Were you there as an EPA enforcement agent that shut them down for some environmental BS issues? We can't compete when the government is holding US back. Otherwise we can compete with any country in the world.

True Grit Farms":19zpsopc said:
Bright Raven":19zpsopc said:
To my knowledge, this nation has no active metal smelters. I was living in Helena, Montana when the East Helena Lead Smelter shut down. It was the last lead smelter in the USA.

On a manufacturing level, we have reverted to the Stone Ages. A time before mankind discovered that he could put ferrous bearing stones in a kiln and melt the iron out of them. Then, big ugly guys in loincloths would stand around the smelted metals and pound it into iron.

The biggest expense for manufacturing is labor. High hourly wages, retirement benefits, health benefits, etc. The loss of manufacturing in the USA was not because of regulations. That is rhetoric - it makes a great campaign story, but the truth is - executives of manufacturing companies saw that they could build their plants in Mexico, India, China, Pakistan, etc and use the cheap labor. No benefits. Just more profit. Not criticizing the executives, they were smart.
Were you there as an EPA enforcement agent that shut them down for some environmental BS issues? We can't compete when the government is holding US back. Otherwise we can compete with any country in the world.

ASARCO shut down by their own admission because their smelter was antiquated.

On a broader basis the theme that manufacturers left the USA because of regulations is political rhetoric. It plays well during campaign season so politicians use it to motivate their core. The fact is, labor is the primary reason most manufacturing went overseas.

callmefence":d16huezx said:
Bright Raven":d16huezx said:

None so far.... when bush sent me my stimulas check I sent it back.....wife is still be nice.
My wife says we never got a stimulus check, she wants to know what your are talking about, we want ours.

Bright Raven":2hygj1k3 said:
callmefence":2hygj1k3 said:
Bright Raven":2hygj1k3 said:

Lol. I don't blame her. be nice Texacan.

nope I put it in the Plate at church.

You think you know so much about other people but you are misguided. even a 3 yr old would know that I am referring AG programs. SS is just a pyramid scheme but we have to pay into it. Once government gets involved is gonna be screwed up.

Bright Raven":lg4q9mhx said:
True Grit Farms":lg4q9mhx said:
Bright Raven":lg4q9mhx said:

ASARCO shut down by their own admission because their smelter was antiquated.

On a broader basis the theme that manufacturers left the USA because of regulations is political rhetoric. It plays well during campaign season so politicians use it to motivate their core. The fact is, labor is the primary reason most manufacturing went overseas.
BS, maybe the labor to comply with EPA regulations, and for some idiot to sit there and make sure your not hurting an owl or some stupid little fish. Look at the EPA lead paint, asbestos fiasco. All of us older folks ate lead paint and inhaled asbestos growing up and we're still here.

M-5":ktpdi370 said:
Bright Raven":ktpdi370 said:
callmefence":ktpdi370 said:

Lol. I don't blame her. be nice Texacan.

nope I put it in the Plate at church.

You think you know so much about other people but you are misguided. even a 3 yr old would know that I am referring AG programs. SS is just a pyramid scheme but we have to pay into it. Once government gets involved is gonna be screwed up.

I know you pretty well. Before you posted, I sent TT a text. I said, "I bet Darryl put that check in the plate at Church ".

True Grit Farms":gcw0xsoj said:
callmefence":gcw0xsoj said:
Bright Raven":gcw0xsoj said:

My wife says we never got a stimulus check, she wants to know what your are talking about, we want ours.

Call the Treasury Dept. Tell em fence said you can have his. Don't say I never gave you nothin.

greybeard":2yofjcht said:
JMJ Farms":2yofjcht said:
It ain't welfare. As mentioned you've got to pay a premium. It's insurance. It's gambling at best. On average it will only pay two years out of ten bc it's based on average rainfall for your area for the two month period you select. And that's if you pick the right two month period. Even then it's not a huge payout. But it's far from welfare.

According to your previous post, there is no out of pocket premium paid if you collect a check. The premium is withheld from your proceeds.
You only actually write a check for years ya don't collect.
Since the premium is subtracted from the check before you get it, that means the Taxpayer is paying the premium.

I don't know how anyone else's home, health and auto insurance is done, but I have to pay premiums in advance, out of my pocket before I even think about being covered much less submitting a claim.

I have taken the insurance out for the past 5 years. It is a risk management tool to use. In the 5 years, I have collected a check from the insurance company 2 times. Your premium is withheld out of proceeds if you are to get a check. On years that it does rain, you write a check for your premium. I look at it like having home insurance, hope I do not need to collect on it.

Go sign up with State Farm or another home insurer or call Flo at Progressive and tell her you want a new auto insurance policy and tell them you will pay at the end of the year if there is no fire or auto accident........see how far you get with it.

Yes, like all insurance, it's 'gambling' but in this instance, the house is paying at least part of the gambler's ante and buy-in.

I didn't have a previous post. I never said that. You pay the premium either way. If you collect it's subtracted from your check. If you don't collect you send them a check. It's insurance. Not a freebie.

M-5":fmslptv0 said:
JMJ Farms":fmslptv0 said:
It ain't welfare. As mentioned you've got to pay a premium. It's insurance. It's gambling at best. On average it will only pay two years out of ten bc it's based on average rainfall for your area for the two month period you select. And that's if you pick the right two month period. Even then it's not a huge payout. But it's far from welfare.
who pays it????? USDA

ANY MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT FOR ANY PROGRAM is WELFARE.

Well the lottery is welfare too by your definition. Because you pay for a ticket and you might win and you might not. With the insurance you might collect and you might not. No way to fudge it or manipulate it either. YOU PAY THEM. It is not guaranteed. Crop insurance is way closer to welfare than FRP insurance. Gambling is a lot more appropriate term.

I like it when people talk about crop insurance that have no idea how it works.
I think we will just quit spraying,and fertalizing our crops and just live off of all the free government money we get.

JMJ Farms":3ooj2w2t said:
M-5":3ooj2w2t said:
JMJ Farms":3ooj2w2t said:
who pays it????? USDA

Well the lottery is welfare too by your definition. Because you pay for a ticket and you might win and you might not. With the insurance you might collect and you might not. No way to fudge it or manipulate it either. YOU PAY THEM. It is not guaranteed. Crop insurance is way closer to welfare than FRP insurance. Gambling is a lot more appropriate term.
Larry Patrick is sponsoring our next cattlemens meeting. We're seriously thinking about some drought insurance, we've had some good years for to long.

Tbrake":mhjmq7cl said:
I like it when people talk about crop insurance that have no idea how it works.
I think we will just quit spraying,and fertalizing our crops and just live off of all the free government money we get.
That's the way some operate around here. The best soil get worked, the poor soil is for insurance farming.

True Grit Farms":3e7pxm32 said:
JMJ Farms":3e7pxm32 said:
M-5":3e7pxm32 said:
who pays it????? USDA

Larry Patrick is sponsoring our next cattlemens meeting. We're seriously thinking about some drought insurance, we've had some good years for to long.

I'm not gonna tell you not to do it but it's a gamble I've never wanted to take. The premiums aren't huge by any means but it usually doesn't pay. I haven't been researching it for ten years BUT my limited research has shown me that if you were to buy the insurance for ten consecutive years you would most likely break even in the end.

As a general rule we are wet and dry here pretty much the same times every year. September and October seem to be the driest on average. Historically this is consistent. We are usually pretty wet in April and May. If you bought the insurance, and selected April and May as your coverage months and it rained 1 inch total and average rainfall for April and May was 4" then you would get paid I think. Can't remeber the specifics.

It's just way too variable. I never felt like it was a wise investment so I've never bought any. But I have come close. I have however bought LRP insurance before. I bought some back in 2015 betting that the prices were gonna drop. Couldn't have worked better. I got lucky and hit it perfectly. But that's all it was. Luck. I knew prices were headed down. But I wasn't sure when. Had to pick a deadline based on different policies offered. I guessed and guessed right. Don't remember the exact figures but it was something like I turned $1700 into $9000 in 90 days. I didn't get rich but it was a nice bonus.

Latest posts