Pasture Lease

Help Support CattleToday:

rynophiliac

Reaction score
For those of you that are leasing pasture... what are you paying per month for each cow calf pair? I'm trying to figure out what the going rate is with no care included. $20/mn per pair? $15/mn per pair?

In my part of the country pasture usually rents by the acre. Generally anywhere from $15.00 to $25.00 per acre per year, and I usually figure 3 acres per cow/calf pair. And that's with feeding hay for about 4 months.

We rent out pasture at 15 bucks a month per head/pair until the calf is around 500 lbs, then it is half rate, momma is the full 15 bucks

$30 per pair per month here. Average 10 acres per pair for a 5 month grazing season. Neighbor pays monthly in advance while calves are on the cow. After calves are weaned off and taken home around Nov 1, pasture price stays the same but is paid at the end of the month.

I pay for electricity on 2 range wells and for any related repairs on wells and 3 miles of pipeline with 6 - 12' tire tanks. The single range well has been out of commission for some time. Needs a new tank of some sort and new wiring. Pump is still good as far as I know.

Most years neighbor leaves the cows until mid-December and then trails them home just before Christmas. I tell him to use his own judgement when to pull cows out. Some winters are mild and open. More than 6 inches of snow makes grazing and getting to cattle more difficult. Water tanks are not winterized and ice must be chopped or water left overflowing. Neighbor normally preg checks cows in Nov/Dec at my place. Hauls the culls directly from there to the sale barn.

Neighbor maintains fence with materials I provide. Tomorrow I plan to buy 200 steel posts at annual co-op open house. Maybe some wood line and corner posts too. My plan is for every post neighbor replaces at my place, he gets one to use at home. IMO, it seems a fair way to do it.

Thinking about putting in a mile of new fence where there is no fence now so hayfields could be used as pasture. I would hire a custom fencer to do that.

$100 per pair per year if the landowner takes care of fences. Most of the places I have they do not, so I work out $100 per pair per year building fence instead of paying them.

Latest posts