Passing afterbirth question

Help Support CattleToday:

Oxytocin has to be given within 48 hours of birth. Some places routinely give it at calving. At this stage Lutalyse or Estrumate would be best.

Keren":2occtxnc said:
ah ffs how can you guys really advocate a beginner removing a retained placenta?

golden rule is, do not pull on the afterbirth that is hanging out :roll:

at 24hrs post birth if its still not passed I give oxytocin.
You won't get much good from it....go ahead and give it a tug...often that's all it needs. (Now I did not say jerk and yank...just a gentle pull). It's a mood point now anyway.....he/she gave it a tug and it came right out. ;-)

I don't remember reading anyone else post about it but I often see retained placenta's as a sign the mineral program is not right. We used to infuse alot of dairy cows in the '80's. I like the oxytocin & latalyse RX recomended here. Unless it is an abortion or twins or if you are getting several of them with normal births, try changing the mineral.@

AudieWyoming":1t9ydtkr said:
I don't remember reading anyone else post about it but I often see retained placenta's as a sign the mineral program is not right. We used to infuse alot of dairy cows in the '80's. I like the oxytocin & latalyse RX recomended here. Unless it is an abortion or twins or if you are getting several of them with normal births, try changing the mineral.@
If my memory hasn't failed me it is Vitamin E and Selenium to be specific.

Thank you so much for posting about the minerals. I didn't know that.

Tochwood 8 years and so far not one retained placenta. I presume we must have the right minerals naturally.

Also we vaccinate with 7 in 1 which I read through the box the other day and it talks a lot about helping with birthing.

novaman":x7f0likc said:
AudieWyoming":x7f0likc said:
And more especially in dairy cattle an improperly balanced dry cow ration which should contain elevated levels of Se and E.

novaman":1341rppt said:
AudieWyoming":1341rppt said:

Calcium too was suggested by my vet this spring. Had one cow with a trace of Jersey in her around six years old, first retained placenta (4 days) on loose mineral blended for the area, the vet said, when I told her the pedigree and age, needs some calcium.

MistyMorning":1cmt6k35 said:
novaman":1cmt6k35 said:
AudieWyoming":1cmt6k35 said:

Calcium too was suggested by my vet this spring. Had one cow with a trace of Jersey in her around six years old, first retained placenta (4 days) on loose mineral blended for the area, the vet said, when I told her the pedigree and age, needs some calcium.

Cattle close to calving need restricted calcium until after calving. Excess calcium prior to calving is one of the culprits that causes milk fever.

Latest posts