Palpation

Help Support CattleToday:

Depending on the stage of pregnancy and skill of the person doing the palpation, the % is much closer to zero. We don;t preg check every year but we've never had a cow slip a calf that was palpated bred.

dun

AngusLimoX":qp49jdhm said:
dun":qp49jdhm said:
Depending on the stage of pregnancy and skill of the person doing the palpation,
dun

Those are 2 of the factors I thought may come up.
Skill and stage of pregnancy.
You do your own dun?

Nope, I have the vet do it. Since he taught reproduction at the vet school I feel he's alot more qualified.
He also only charges a buck and half per cow. Hard to beat that price. Plus I know the stage of pregnancy and I know it right away.

dun

AngusLimoX":13zfc1pr said:
This is a statement from a preg checking service that does blood tests.

Safer for embryos-- commonly 2% to 11% of embryos die with palpation methods

Anyone have any comments on this???

Seems like an awful risk, especially if the factors put you in the 11% group.

Here's the link.
http://www.biotracking.com/benefits.php
(Thanks again Woranch ).
jmo but it is probably a way to promote people using them for blood testing instead of calling your best Vet at 35 days and getting them checked.Also alot of embryo groups like to do ultrasounding to ensure pregnancy I know it is mostly to determine the sex but either way the price keeps going up.

AngusLimoX":2w3gw1ui said:
This is a statement from a preg checking service that does blood tests.

Safer for embryos-- commonly 2% to 11% of embryos die with palpation methods

Anyone have any comments on this???

Seems like an awful risk, especially if the factors put you in the 11% group.

Here's the link.
http://www.biotracking.com/benefits.php
(Thanks again Woranch ).

What a lot of rot !!!

...and their test is only 97% accurate - I do 30,000-40,000 preg tests a year. If my accuracy was only 97% I wouldn't have a job!!!!

cowvet":2fhp5dgu said:
What a lot of rot !!!

...and their test is only 97% accurate - I do 30,000-40,000 preg tests a year. If my accuracy was only 97% I wouldn't have a job!!!!

Exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. Thank you.

I'm going to give them a try this year. I work 8 miles from their lab and know one of the techs. He's going to do it for nothing and then I'll preg check them at 45 days to see if their right.

Bobg

dun":2334ql2z said:
Depending on the stage of pregnancy and skill of the person doing the palpation, the % is much closer to zero. We don;t preg check every year but we've never had a cow slip a calf that was palpated bred.

dun
exactly

Bobg":3603kccz said:
I'm going to give them a try this year. I work 8 miles from their lab and know one of the techs. He's going to do it for nothing and then I'll preg check them at 45 days to see if their right.

Bobg

I think that is a really good idea make sure to let us all know how acucurate the tests are to the tried and true exam by your best Vet.Besides if you don't have to pay anything what have you got to lose besides putting your girls through that extra stress of two exams.If you have a really good set up and things always go smooth then I say go for it and let us all know the comparative results.
Syd