Pain relief for cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old cow that has a problem with her right back leg. I am guessing it might be her anterior cruciate ligament, pinched nerve, hip, etc. It is a chronic problem. When I put aspirin in her feed she seems to get some relief. I would like to relieve some of her pain. She is well conditioned and I pamper her out of sympathy. I realize I need to cull her at some point but she has nice calves, breeds back well and is currently due to calf in March via AI service to Limestone Rimrock. I am looking forward to that calf. What suggestions are there for a regularly repeated remedy that would give her some relief (especially in these cold months) and maybe control the inflammatory process going on?

You could fix up a nice spot for her in that spacious metal airline hanger of a barn you've got complete with a nice cot for her to sleep on and have her meals catered in until springtime. That would be a good start.

There are currently no analgesic drugs approved for pain relief in cattle. Some can be used 'extra-label', but the veterinarian and client must follow ELDU guidelines.
Meloxicam is being used fairly widely to relieve pain following castration/dehorning, etc. - and as milkmaid will probably attest, veterinary students nowadays are receiving some instruction on pain relief that us old-timers never considered, and were not taught.
Not sure of the cost factor for meloxicam in an animal as large as your cow is likely to be... but you might inquire with your veterinarian.

I agree with Lucky_P about talking to your veterinarian. There are drugs that can be given to cattle, but they are not approved for bovine use.

Meloxicam is very popular now for pain management in large animals . Best thing you can do is give your LA vet a call Inyati13 .

I have the same problem with Lisa , she is 14 yrs old now. She was fine until she had 180lbs worth of heifers in her calving season 2011. I am still debating about her again this year as she is a h@ll of a cow and can raise top females or males .

Good luck :tiphat:

Meloxicam is good Ron but I suspect the cost long term may be a problem. The old aspirin is hard to beat for effectiveness and cost. You used to be able to buy it in a big jar in powder form and it did not cost much. See your vet to see if he can get some from his supplier.
Ken

TennesseeTuxedo":3noa3wt7 said:
You could fix up a nice spot for her in that spacious metal airline hanger of a barn you've got complete with a nice cot for her to sleep on and have her meals catered in until springtime. That would be a good start.

TT, don't get on here and play the part of a hardazz! I remember not too long ago when I big Texas guy was pretty down over a little dog. Not a good joke. These big bovines can get inside your head just like a family dog.

inyati13":2yyeaiq0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2yyeaiq0 said:

TT, don't get on here and play the part of a hardazz! I remember not too long ago when I big Texas guy was pretty down over a little dog. Not a good joke. These big bovines can get inside your head just like a family dog.

Lol!

Touché

The reason I started with the aspiorin with Granny was because she had a limp and a click in one hip when she walked. Her calf was too young to wean so I penned her up in a way that her calf could go out with the others but she coudln;t. I'ld give her a handful of grain with a dozen aspirins in it mornign and night. Did that for a couple of weeks. Vet had said that the aspirin should make her good enough to get to the weaning size on her calf but that she should go to the salbarn at weaning. 6 years and 5 calves later we had to put her down. But the click and limp never came back in all that time.

Ketoprofen (Anafen) is not labelled for bovine usage in the US???

Though, it would not be a viable option for a chronic condition....

Koffi Babone":3d6hwj2o said:
Ketoprofen (Anafen) is not labelled for bovine usage in the US???

Though, it would not be a viable option for a chronic condition....

I have found that Anafen is more for a pain reliever to get them on their "feet " again and get the fighting to get better . I have never used it longer than a week because it is suppose to be hard on the stomach and liver (don't quote me) ..

In the case prevented by the original poster I too do not think it would be that beneficial .

Thanks for all the help. I think for now I will put her back on the daily aspirin routine. I do see an improvement when she is on aspirin. I think it reduces the pain and she can get more flexion in her leg without the pain.

"Banamine and dexomethasone"
Neither of those are approved for pain relief; both have anti-inflammatory action, with banamine also having anti-pyretic (fever reducing) effect.
Given by the approved route - IV only in cattle! - banamine has an effective timeframe of about 9 hours.

Additionally, dexamethasone is contraindicated in pregnant cattle, as it can initiate parturition - and if given more than 2 weeks or so prior to anticipated calving date, may result in delivery of a nonviable fetus.

Lucky_P":32jpfu78 said:
"Banamine and dexomethasone"
Neither of those are approved for pain relief; both have anti-inflammatory action, with banamine also having anti-pyretic (fever reducing) effect.
Given by the approved route - IV only in cattle! - banamine has an effective timeframe of about 9 hours.

Additionally, dexamethasone is contraindicated in pregnant cattle, as it can initiate parturition - and if given more than 2 weeks or so prior to anticipated calving date, may result in delivery of a nonviable fetus.

Pays to know the details. :nod:

Banamine can be given IM without incicent , I have done it and my vet has as well, I would be careful with dex, I usually use it only for cows that have had a difficult birth and having a hard time standing back up, or on a bull with a swollen foot or joint ,ect...

pb,
You 'can' give banamine IM - I've done it, too. But, it's not an approved route of administration, and while oh so many people do it, and seem to regard it as innocuously as giving an injection of saline - it does cause localized tissue damage, so it's not all rainbows and unicorns. It ain't candy.

Also, giving it IM constitutes extra-label drug usage; when given IV, milk and slaughter withdrawals are 29 hrs and 4 days, respectively. But, if you give a single dose IM, those withdrawal times stretch out to 72 hrs and 30 days. For a SINGLE dose given IM; if you give more than one...who knows how long you'd have to wait.
Banamine is one of the most frequent offenders when it comes to violative drug residues in meat & milk.

Latest posts