Overseeding with Ryegrass

Help Support CattleToday:

JoshuaMLewis

Reaction score
I don't have too much pasture. It would be hard for me to rotate my cattle on each portion of my land. Can I still plant Ryegrass for winter grazing even if I don't rotate them? Can I simply leave them on the ryegrass all the time and let me graze after we get a few warm days (and growth).

I am in S. Louisiana.

As long as the ryegrass has a chance to get up and not get pulled out then yes you can leave them on it.

agree with hooknline. Mine spend the winter (Florida winter) on Prine ryegrass and loose mineral. They look like they have been in a feedlot going into the spring. You have to give the ryegrass a chance to get their roots under them, and don't over graze...

How do you plan to seed it? Drill or broadcast? Ryegrass is excellent forage, would be nice if you could let it get to 3" before grazing.

if conditions are very good, rain, warm enough weather. you will need about 6-7 weeks before grazing.. if you don't have fall pasture you'll have to hay... for fast grazing you will need to disc the ground to expose plenty of soil... fertilize to test, and hope for some rain... plant in late september and you may get to graze in mid november, by thanksgiving for sure (if conditions are good).. the fall grazing will last until about Jan. 1, at a cow unit per acre. Then you will top dress with about 200 lbs of amonia nitrate per acre and let the grass grow for about three weeks.. After this you can get grazing through spring.. you may have to top dress again, but only pull the cows off for about a week... Rye grass ain't cheap... but it dose a good job..

Latest posts