Overseed or Drill?

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
I am going to put some seed down to try and alleviate the fact that Bermuda comes up so late, goes dormant real early and doesn't grow without lots of water.

Local folks have said to go with a clover/fescue mix as rye is not a perennial. (plus I drilled in rye last fall) There is a fair amount of clover currently and I don't want it to take over. Other issue is the cows have never been on fescue and should I be concerned with fescue poisoning? Or do I go with a different mix altogether?

Some of the pasture is wet (semi-standing water) from all the rain over the winter, but most is just normal soil for this time of year (SW TN).

Am I better off broadcasting then dragging over it or drilling? I am a little worried that if I try to drill in the wet area, it will be set way too deep just from the weight of the machine, but on the other hand, I don't know how much germination to expect just by broadcasting and dragging.

Thoughts?

If you have access to a drill then drill it. Needs less seed than broadcasting and has better take. Worth it in my opinion unless the seed is dirt cheap and can be scratched in

If you are even thinking about fescue you would be well served to frost seed this month. If you get another snow, hit that.

Robert,

Drilling is definitely the way to go! You shouldn't be that concerned with Fescue (KY-31) here in TN as it makes up probably 90% of our pastures.

You can do a little research on the UT website to see what the best desirable pasture mix is for your area. Here in middle TN, we typically plant 15-20 lbs per acre of Tall Fescue, 10-15 of Orchard Grass, and 8 lbs of Timothy along with red and white clover.

The most important thing is making sure your pH and nutrient levels are correct if you want to make a good stand. Before I did anything with regards to planting, I would first do a soil test. Contact your local Extension office for more information regarding soil testing.

Brian

Persist Orchardgrass........overseed in the dark of the moon or let the cattle tromp it in.

TN Cattle Man":2qpwa0v9 said:
Robert,

Drilling is definitely the way to go! You shouldn't be that concerned with Fescue (KY-31) here in TN as it makes up probably 90% of our pastures.

You can do a little research on the UT website to see what the best desirable pasture mix is for your area. Here in middle TN, we typically plant 15-20 lbs per acre of Tall Fescue, 10-15 of Orchard Grass, and 8 lbs of Timothy along with red and white clover.

The most important thing is making sure your pH and nutrient levels are correct if you want to make a good stand. Before I did anything with regards to planting, I would first do a soil test. Contact your local Extension office for more information regarding soil testing.

Brian

Thanks.

I did a soil test last fall and limed accordingly.

I will check into the mixture you use and talk to my local UT extension office.

Drill baby Drill, LOL. Yeah we use a no-till great plains drill to over-seed. With the prices of seed, we feel its better to try to get as much seed in the ground as possible. Orchard grass works really good in our area for hay.

Drill it if you can , then overseed the bare spots . I don't have access to a drill , I frost seed just before a late snow seems to work good. We call it white mulch corse we got snows like that right into april .

Robert, you can drop by and see some that I drilled and some that I disked, sowed, and rolled in and compare.

Latest posts