Over-Conditioning

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":l6xwb5dl said:
Jake":l6xwb5dl said:
I would argue that fall calving cows are the most inefficient system there is. People around our area do it for labor reason or because they have cows that didn't breed on time to calf in the spring. But you watch those cows lay around all summer getting fat and then you have to put the feed in front of them when they are trying to raise a calf instead of them getting it on there own. COMPLETELY backwards system. But we have some as well, I just hate them

Could be worse. At least yours are not belly deep in snow. ;-)

- One guy here used them on small pastures, so he does not need a bull with them in the summer...
- Another (ex dairy) guy used them so he could still make and feed corn silage...

They both got cured after a while.

My Dad tries to make the bull utilization argument but when you put the pencil to it you have to have expensive bulls to make that math work. People choose fall calving in our part of the world or reason other than maximizing profit.

I think fall calving is backwards too for people who have to feed in the winter,.. for southern folks it might work out OK. I had a couple summer calvers this year that'll keep their calf until march or so. I think they're all going to be earlier next year, but 1 for sure is going on the truck next fall, perhaps even this spring.

I'm on my first full calving season right now, I bought in with mostly pairs last November, so I've not experienced first hand a spring calving. I say that because there might be something there that I'm missing. But for now, unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'm liking the fall calving better than spring. Here's what I "think":

Breed back should be faster, or at least just as fast. I'm thinking about March/April Oct/Nov calves here, otherwise the temperature difference here in March compared to November is a wash.

October here is going to be, normally, a lot better weather for calving than April. More stable weather, and a lot less muddy.

Shouldn't you need to feed the spring calvers more (or just as much as the milkers) due to them being in the third stage during the worst weather. I'm starting to feed the calves a little by the last of Jan or so. They wont take as much as a milker, it gets the calves eating a little, and takes some pressure off the cows (I think, maybe not, depending on how big the calf is?)

The fall calvers, normally, are on good grass right up until they calve. With tubs and mineral out, I am not feeding anything other than to buy some friendship long enough to ear tag, and cattle are mud fat (this year).

I would rather have calves in the cooler part of the year, versus during fly season, and trying to get weight on them and wean in the summer.

I sell in May when the historic seasonal calf prices are right around the highest.

Downsides I see:
Cows milking when it's getting colder, at the same time calves getting bigger. The period late Dec/Jan until calves are big enough to just start picking around on a little feed can seem like a long time.

Thoughts on my thoughts?

You make some sound arguments. We do both. Most of ours are born in the springtime but I intentionally bought a group of fall calving cows to give it a try. We're on our second season and so far I like it. It's nice having little ones around all year long.

The thing I do know that I don't want are anymore calves born in the months that the cold weather is the worst for us, Dec-Feb.

Those are good points, but one issue I'd have here is that breeding time would happen when it's icy out, and a bull mounting a cow on slippery surfaces is a recipe for disaster.. Also, a cow that gets bred late is going to put her into the bad weather... It's easier to control the start of the season than the end of it. It is nice to sell the calves when prices are best though. I am keeping some of my late (july/aug) calves over winter and will sell them in the spring. I also kinda like the idea of little ones running around all year, just don't like the idea of getting up at 2 am to check on cows for longer than I have to.