Out of the haymaking business

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeerefarmer

Reaction score
Been doing it for the last 25 years. Since dad passed away two years ago it's no longer fun and lot's more work without him. I am getting rid of all of the hay equipment and will have one meadow custom baled and go buy the rest. I just ordered a Deere 5085M with front end loader.
I also bought a bigger truck to haul my 25' gooseneck. I plan on taking the new lighter 5085M to the hay fields to load the hay and then unload here with the 6105R. I don't like waiting around to be loaded up. I am also looking for more heifers to increase the herd size. I am going to look at some bred Angus heifers tomorrow.

2015 F350 4x4 SCREW, Lariat, B&W hitch, Line X bedliner, Weathertech mats,20" tires, 3.55 rear end

[
003_zps5ffa7ad8.jpg

I got out of the hay business also at the end of last year, it's not fun waiting on someone to show up to bale my hay, but It's well worth it to me to have more cows. Hope that truck works out good.

LOL....hard to say which is more expensive.....Getting out of the hay business or staying in. :lol:

I agree, it's not as much fun as it once was. Was nice to let someone do mine on halves this year. :nod:

Good luck finding hay during a drought, and someone to bale it when it's been raining a lot. Most of the time their busy doing there's first, and then Joe blows and maybe your next. Hay that's over 8-10 weeks between cutting is good for mulching and a filler only. Been there and done that.
Waiting on someone to bale your hay sucks.

i really feel for you selling your hay equipment and quiting baling your own hay.youll soon find out hiring custom balers is very stressful.because custom balers dont rush to cut and bale your hay.theyll pull in and lay the hay down knowing its going to get wet.plus you eat up all your extra money buying and hauling hay along with the cost of getting your hay baled.

bigbull338":2eexbrho said:
i really feel for you selling your hay equipment and quiting baling your own hay.youll soon find out hiring custom balers is very stressful.because custom balers dont rush to cut and bale your hay.theyll pull in and lay the hay down knowing its going to get wet.plus you eat up all your extra money buying and hauling hay along with the cost of getting your hay baled.

Bigbull is right. WE got out of doing our own hay about 6 years ago, and it is more stressful than doing it yourself. I was fortunate to have my neighbor do it on shares for the last 6 years, but he informed me (really late I might add) that he was opting out this year. Sooo. that left me scroungin around for someone else to do it. After talking to about 3 different folks, one wanted to charge me $18 a bale, but I didnt want to pay for over 600 bales . So the guy I got now doing iton the shares.. is very very slow.. got 100 acres to bale and he has only done about 15 so far.. plus he got some cut and it rained .. Its gonna be a long time gettin all of it done I can see now. Patience had got to be a virture.... :bang:

Limomike":26f9bvsa said:
bigbull338":26f9bvsa said:

Bigbull is right. WE got out of doing our own hay about 6 years ago, and it is more stressful than doing it yourself. I was fortunate to have my neighbor do it on shares for the last 6 years, but he informed me (really late I might add) that he was opting out this year. Sooo. that left me scroungin around for someone else to do it. After talking to about 3 different folks, one wanted to charge me $18 a bale, but I didnt want to pay for over 600 bales . So the guy I got now doing iton the shares.. is very very slow.. got 100 acres to bale and he has only done about 15 so far.. plus he got some cut and it rained .. Its gonna be a long time gettin all of it done I can see now. Patience had got to be a virture.... :bang:
your going through the samething we went through for 12yrs.i stayed upset all summer worring about having enough hay to get through winter because the guys was so slow baling our hay.plus it was getting very costly to bale the hay.we finished baling over 100acs in less than 2wks.and that included hauling and stacking hay.take this yr our custom cost couldve been close to $9000 this year.

If quiting hayin allows you to run more cattle, I think it's a good way to go. If I read your post right, you are going to buy hay, so it won't be a big deal waiting for someone to cut yours. I cut, and rake mine, and have it rolled. I would prefer to buy, but I can't Always find it.

I will have one 17A field baled and buy the rest. If that turns out to be a hassle I will run cows on it. Matter of fact I had a pond built on it last fall for that very reason.
As far as drought goes, I have a hay barn that holds 250 round bales. I try to keep it at least half full for emergencies- I don't feed out of it unless it's a cold spring like this year. My non-emergency hay stays in several hay pens sitting on 6" of railroad ballast. Net wrapped coastal weathers very well.
The Noble Foundation and others will tell you that it's not cost effective to bale your own hay unless you have several hundred head of cattle. We got into it because we were able to control the quality. Having said that, even if I can only buy fair quality hay and need to buy protein to supplement, I can buy lots of protein for the price of a new baler or cutter.
Also I free up a month of time during the summer that otherwise would be spent in the hay fields. Sure I still have to go buy and haul hay home but will still save the time of getting the equipment ready, cutting, tedding, raking and baling.

With the prices that I expect for cattle I see them profitable for several more years to come, so I am expanding

expanding the cow herd is easy if you dont mind giving $2000 for comm cows.and in my case $3000 to $4000 for reg cows.

johndeerefarmer":74ohl55a said:
I will have one 17A field baled and buy the rest. If that turns out to be a hassle I will run cows on it. Matter of fact I had a pond built on it last fall for that very reason.
As far as drought goes, I have a hay barn that holds 250 round bales. I try to keep it at least half full for emergencies- I don't feed out of it unless it's a cold spring like this year. My non-emergency hay stays in several hay pens sitting on 6" of railroad ballast. Net wrapped coastal weathers very well.
The Noble Foundation and others will tell you that it's not cost effective to bale your own hay unless you have several hundred head of cattle. We got into it because we were able to control the quality. Having said that, even if I can only buy fair quality hay and need to buy protein to supplement, I can buy lots of protein for the price of a new baler or cutter.
Also I free up a month of time during the summer that otherwise would be spent in the hay fields. Sure I still have to go buy and haul hay home but will still save the time of getting the equipment ready, cutting, tedding, raking and baling.

With the prices that I expect for cattle I see them profitable for several more years to come, so I am expanding

You and I share the same exact line of thought when it comes to hay and the cattle business.

Please do not let that fact dissuade you from your objective.

Bigfoot":2zkb4sh9 said:
If quittin hayin allows you to run more cattle, I think it's a good way to go. If I read your post right, you are going to buy hay,

Been there and done that before grain got high priced. Peaked at 1.7 supplemented stockers to the acre. :nod:

A problem is that half of my hay suppliers went out of business, and the half are planning to go out of business. One sold out, one is planning to expand, one switched to corn & beans, and one wants to retire by me buying his hay ground. Did the Noble Foundation have anything to say about the profit potential in buying hay ground ?

A person can truck in hay but that is not cheap. I am looking at grazing standing corn for the early part of the arctic vortex. I think this is more economical than building hay sheds or buying net wrap.

trucking hay in can cost from $25 to $75 a bale.because most trucks want $4 to $5 a loaded mi.

I see a lot of irony here.
1. So many getting out of the hay baling business.
2. So many people (often, the same people) then finding it is difficult to get hay baled.

Predictable results.
The phrase "self fulfilling prophesy" comes to mind--double edged swords cut both ways.

I have 2 small fields of bahia/coastal I'd like to get baled myself, but can't find anyone to do it. :(
Hasn't been that long ago that 1/2 dozen people would have jumped on it.
It's like stump grinding. 10 years ago, every retired guy with a tractor big enough to handle one bought a stump grinder and did it as an extra $$ making thing. I had a bunch ground down in 2010 and the guy got on it the day after I called. Slowly, most decided it was more trouble than it was worth, and now if you call one, they tell you there are 3 or 4 jobs ahead of you and they'll get to you when they can. Last time I called the guy said he got out of the business, went back to consulting in the oil patch and was looking for someone to grind his own stumps.

Stocker Steve":3klpy0ya said:
Bigfoot":3klpy0ya said:
If quittin hayin allows you to run more cattle, I think it's a good way to go. If I read your post right, you are going to buy hay,

Been there and done that before grain got high priced. Peaked at 1.7 supplemented stockers to the acre. :nod:

A problem is that half of my hay suppliers went out of business, and the half are planning to go out of business. One sold out, one is planning to expand, one switched to corn & beans, and one wants to retire by me buying his hay ground. Did the Noble Foundation have anything to say about the profit potential in buying hay ground ?

A person can truck in hay but that is not cheap. I am looking at grazing standing corn for the early part of the arctic vortex. I think this is more economical than building hay sheds or buying net wrap.

The hay producers are getting old just like the beef producers. Most figure it's easier to run a few cows than kill yourself driving 10 hours a day on a tractor and having to fix the equipment in the middle of a hay field with no shade and 100 degree temp. We need more young people in this business just like we need younger machinists.
Not only are beef prices high from guys selling out because of the drought but a lot of the older ones will not be getting back into the business- at least they went out on a bang. When I got my first $1.00 lb for a 500# steer I thought we were in high cotton, now that I am seeing $1100 for a steer I am still amazed.

Since we own a haybaling business, I guess we are part of those bad folks who show up late and don't get it done right......

That being said, if I controlled the weather, I would not be making a living baling hay. I'd be much more valuable as a weather guru.

Furthermore, one of the biggest factors for showing up on schedule is having good running equipment. Newer stuff just does not break down as much. And when it does, warranty covers most of the cost. Monthly bills for that new stuff approach $1800 a month in this household. And that is during winter time too.

Lastly, most importantly, best way for getting someone to bale your hay is to have a good, clean field that yields well. :tiphat:

johndeerefarmer":2up9wfku said:
Stocker Steve":2up9wfku said:
Bigfoot":2up9wfku said:

The hay producers are getting old just like the beef producers. Most figure it's easier to run a few cows than kill yourself driving 10 hours a day on a tractor and having to fix the equipment in the middle of a hay field with no shade and 100 degree temp. We need more young people in this business just like we need younger machinists.
Not only are beef prices high from guys selling out because of the drought but a lot of the older ones will not be getting back into the business- at least they went out on a bang. When I got my first $1.00 lb for a 500# steer I thought we were in high cotton, now that I am seeing $1100 for a steer I am still amazed.
Hammer_hitting_Nail-274x330.jpg

Oh, us young guys are in it.. i'm 37yo, but land, equipment, infrastructure costs are so high. I rented my last farm/house of 105 acres only to have it abruptly sold by the owner at lease renewal time and had to relocate to a neighboring state (MD, ugh). Now back to managing someone else's farm and hating a lot of it. Saving up to buy my own place, min 100 acres in the northeast USA or possibly northern around wisconsin, minnesota etc.

LauraleesFarm":320k9rcu said:
Since we own a haybaling business, I guess we are part of those bad folks who show up late and don't get it done right......

That being said, if I controlled the weather, I would not be making a living baling hay. I'd be much more valuable as a weather guru.

Furthermore, one of the biggest factors for showing up on schedule is having good running equipment. Newer stuff just does not break down as much. And when it does, warranty covers most of the cost. Monthly bills for that new stuff approach $1800 a month in this household. And that is during winter time too.

Lastly, most importantly, best way for getting someone to bale your hay is to have a good, clean field that yields well. :tiphat:

And pay your hay bill on time.

We used custom balers this year and were very pleased.

Latest posts