Out of mixed feed on a holiday

Help Support CattleToday:

TTBHG

Reaction score
I have some straight commodities, in bulk though. What would you feed for a day until you could mix a ration? I have corn meal, soybean meal, etc.

Will feeding one of these for a day cause any issues on a group of weaned heifers? Or could I feed them half and half of each? They've been weaned a few weeks and are around 300 pounds.
Would you do that or just feed straight hay for a day and start back on the mixed ration again tomorrow.

I have some straight commodities, in bulk though. What would you feed for a day until you could mix a ration? I have corn meal, soybean meal, etc.

Will feeding one of these for a day cause any issues on a group of weaned heifers? Or could I feed them half and half of each? They've been weaned a few weeks and are around 300 pounds.
Would you do that or just feed straight hay for a day and start back on the mixed ration again tomorrow.
I don't think you can use 1/2 of the mix to be soybean meal. It won't hurt them not to have feed for a day. Better than messing up the digestive system.

I agree with Kenny, that given the products you have on hand it would be better to just give them hay for a day. Another option might be if you are fairly close to a big box farm store like Tractor Supply, Rural King that are probably open today, you might could get some bagged feed if you feel they have to have some feed. I have fed some bagged pellets when waiting for feed. Sometimes it's different to them and they won't each much of it anyway.

I don't think you can use 1/2 of the mix to be soybean meal. It won't hurt them not to have feed for a day. Better than messing up the digestive system.

I agree with Kenny, that given the products you have on hand it would be better to just give them hay for a day. Another option might be if you are fairly close to a big box farm store like Tractor Supply, Rural King that are probably open today, you might could get some bagged feed if you feel they have to have some feed. I have fed some bagged pellets when waiting for feed. Sometimes it's different to them and they won't each much of it anyway.
I appreciate it, guys. I just put out extra hay today. When I ordered my feed a while back I never even put two and two together that I'd run out on a holiday weekend. They'll be fine for the day on hay I just wasn't sure if I could feed them straight corn or soybean for a day.

I agree with the above posts. Better too feed nothing than make a change. I had some heifers back in the winter I was about too sell. My supplier was out it was going to be 3-5 days before I could get any. So I subbed a similar feed in protein value and cut amount by 50%. The issue is some didn't eat the different feed and a few will eat anything. Had 6 hogs that got too much. Our vet said anytime you are changing rations to back down too 1-1 1/2 lbs then increase every 2-3 days. We couldn't sell the hogs when we sold the rest. Our supplier was out because the mill couldn't get some ingredients during the severe cold and snow. In the end I would of been better taking all feed away. It ended up taking him 10 days to get the mix we were feeding.

Latest posts