Our world may be a giant hologram

Help Support CattleToday:

I ran across this quote while studying and can be traced to the same document listed below.

Miracles happen, not in opposition to Nature, but in opposition to what we know of Nature.
—St. Augustine

Read what the author wrote about David Bohm's point before he died n 1992...he is attempting to illustrate that thought processes are the same as the environment...this is closely related to the dream I referred to.

.....Imagine you are walking down a street late one night and a shadow suddenly looms up out of nowhere.

Your first thought might be that the shadow is an assailant and you are in danger. The information contained in this thought will in turn give rise to a range of imagined activities, such as running, being hurt, and fighting. The presence of these imagined activities in your mind, however, is not a purely "mental" process, for they are inseparable from a host of related biological processes, such as excitation of nerves, rapid heart beat, release of adrenaline and other hormones, tensing of the muscles, and so on.

Conversely, if your first thought is that the shadow is just a shadow, a different set of mental and biological responses will follow. Moreover, a little reflection will reveal that we react both mentally and biologically to everything we experience.

According to Bohm, the important point to be gleaned from this is that consciousness is not the only thing that can respond to meaning. The body can also respond, and this reveals that meaning is simultaneously both mental and physical in nature. This is odd, for we normally think of meaning as something that can only have an active effect on subjective reality, on the thoughts inside our heads, not something that can engender a response in the physical world of things and objects.

Meaning,

"can thus serve as the link or 'bridge' between these two sides of reality," Bohm states. "This link is indivisible in the sense that information contained in thought, which we feel to be on the 'mental' side, is at the same time a neurophysiological, chemical, and physical activity, which is clearly what is meant by this thought on the 'material' side."3

Bohm feels that examples of objectively active meaning can be found in other physical processes.....

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienc ... erse05.htm

HS, the post about the communication between matter sounds a very similar to something I studied in physics. Might be the same research - I'm not sure. I've forgotten most of this but the gist was this. If every action has an opposite reaction then the (quarks ?) and things on this line would have to somehow communicate with each other over infinite space. Mathematically this is easily proven with a few equations but seeing and believing something like this is an act of faith. Of course Einstein did say that the more he understood physics the more he was sure there was a God. Seems there was something else on these lines in terms of matter and anti-matter. It was interesting but too heady for me.

Jogeephus":3upk03f6 said:
if you have the faith of a mustard seed you can move mountains

Interesting you should mention this thought. Science teachers and spiritual teachers (for lack of a better word) normally do not agree. However, I am beginning to see the first signs of agreement, for the first time in my life. I am not a religious nut. I am open minded though and I read allot. While researching this topic, your phrase may be provable scientifically in the future. Another couple of phrases that are similar in nature can be located here:

Matthew 21:21-22
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=47;

The question may become, is it possible to move a mountain scientifically without faith? It think there is.

You could be right. But to make a mountain or a bird or even a molecule from the vaccum of space, now that is what is truly amazing.

I read this thread this morning and been thinking about it on and off all day. I wish that it would've gone further because I'm interested about other peoples thoughts and experiences of this nature. When I think of Jo being visited by the sprits of his dead relatives, and others on here that knew that someone had died before they were physically told of such news. The story about the dogs on the rail road tracks in trigs me also. It makes sense that atoms can communicate with an other, that would explain a lot of the unknown. Last May I was working out of town, and consuming a lot of alcohol. The guy I was rooming with had all kind of pills for different things that was wrong with him. I asked him to show me one of his nitro pills, and when he pulled one out, for some reason I said watch this, and I took it from him and swallowed it. He said that was a pretty stupid thing to do, as he was taking one of his sleeping pills. I asked him what's that? And I grabbed one of them out of his hand and swallowed that. He said that was a heavy duty sleeping pill. I don't know what I was thinking at the time, maybe I was showing him that these little pills couldn't hurt me, but really deep down inside I didn't care to live anymore, and if I fell asleep that night and never woke up, that it would be o.k. to me. Well, I didn't die of course, but I had the most vivid dream that night that I ever had. I was talking to my dad that had died about 6 months before that, and he was chewing my ass for drinking again and putting myself in that situation. One thing that bothered me the most is that I would never dream when I drank that much, or at least remember them, but I remember that one. A few months after that I was talking with a guy that had his father die when he was in prison. On the last visit that he had with his dad before he died, his dad told him that no matter what, just do what makes you happy. It hit me when I heard that, it was one of the same things that my dad said to me in that dream that I had. Then I started thinking, maybe it wasn't a dream that I had, maybe it was real. I've never told anyone of this story, I'm still embarrassed about it I guess, I don't know why I'm sharing it with a bunch of strangers. I've since straightened my life up, but there's little things now and then that happen that make me believe that somehow he's still around guiding me in my adventures. We were never all that close, there was a few times I tried to be, but he would push me away in his own ways. But as it turns out, I'm more like him then my 6 other siblings, none of them even own cows and my dad grew up around them until he was around 50. But anyways, quantum physics is something that interests me, I first heard of it around a year and a half ago. And I can make some sense out of it, but it's hard for me to explain. I watched a movie about it called "what the bleep do we know" Some of the things explained in the movie are far fetched, but it makes you wonder, and it makes you say what if? There's so much out there that we don't know, and so much that we'll find out in the near future. All we need to do is open out minds, we were taught many generations ago with religion, and fear of the unknown, to close out minds and not to question such things.

Thanks for sharing that Toby. Just goes to show you are human. I think many of us have been at the depths of depression and can relate. Depression is a terrible thing and it says a lot about your character for pulling yourself out of it. If there is anything good to be said about depression it is that it can make you stronger and put you closer to God cause it will definitely humble you.

While I don't want to get into a religious debate with anyone I would like to pose a thought. I, myself, do not believe that you go to heaven when you die nor do I think you live in pergatory for hundreds or thousands of years awaiting judgement day. What i mean by this is that I don't think God's time is the same is our time. So if time is relative, then this would give further proof how Biblical prophecies were so accurate because time and reality can be manipulated by God as easily as turning the pages in a book. It would also verify the possibility of communication between matter and anti-matter. Some people seem to take science as a tool to debunk religion but I think - as Einstein did - science is further proof of God's existance.

Jogeephus":20y4uore said:
HS, the post about the communication between matter sounds a very similar to something I studied in physics. Might be the same research - I'm not sure. I've forgotten most of this but the gist was this. If every action has an opposite reaction then the (quarks ?) and things on this line would have to somehow communicate with each other over infinite space. Mathematically this is easily proven with a few equations but seeing and believing something like this is an act of faith. Of course Einstein did say that the more he understood physics the more he was sure there was a God. Seems there was something else on these lines in terms of matter and anti-matter. It was interesting but too heady for me.

I was researching if the speed of gravity can be infinite and I read something that rung a bell that you wrote. Imagine the speed of gravity moving faster than the speed of light. If you are referring to the following, the other item I posted is different. If I run into the experiment details, I will post them.

Newtonian gravitation

Isaac Newton's formulation of a gravitational force law requires that each particle respond instantaneously to every other massive particle irrespective of the distance between them. In modern terms, Newtonian gravitation is described by the Poisson equation, according to which, when the mass distribution of a system changes, its gravitational field instantaneously adjusts. Therefore the theory requires the speed of gravity to be infinite.

Newton was troubled by this aspect of his theory.[citation needed] He felt that the gravitational effect should propagate at some finite speed. He experimented with introducing such a finite propagation speed, but found that it would destroy the remarkable agreement between his original theory and the astronomical observations available at the time. It was not until the 19th century, long after Newton's death, that discrepancies between the Newtonian gravitational model and astronomical observation were noted.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_g ... Background

HerefordSire":1hmt7j1g said:
If case you haven't figured it out yet....this implies we could be able to teleport (as in Spock).....in other words, a physical object could be disassembled and reassembled. Instead of thinking how large the universe is, think how small the building blocks are...billion and billions of times smaller than a proton. This is called a unit. They are saying this unit is being projected and we are living in a hologram but you cannot move your finger through an object because the information being projected does not allow this.

This is a 2006 document about current telecloning/teleporting technology.

The first experimental demonstration of quantum telecloning has been achieved by scientists at the University of Tokyo, the Japan Science and Technology Agency, and the University of York. The work is reported in the latest issue of Physical Review Letters. Telecloning combines cloning (or copying) with teleportation (i.e., disembodied transport).

The scientists have succeeded in making the first remote copies of beams of laser light, by combining quantum cloning with quantum teleportation into a single experimental step. Telecloning is more efficient than any combination of teleportation and local cloning because it relies on a new form of quantum entanglement - multipartite entanglement.

Professor Sam Braunstein, of the Department of Computer Science at York, said: "Quantum mechanics allows us to do things which we previously thought were impossible. In 1998, I was involved in an experiment in America which was one of the first for quantum teleportation in which we transmitted a beam of light without it crossing the physical medium in between.
Telecloning and teleportation may no longer be theories, but we are still a long way from teleporting people.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 192107.htm

This news article came out today.

For the first time, scientists have successfully teleported information between two separate atoms in unconnected enclosures a meter apart – a significant milestone in the global quest for practical quantum information processing.

Teleportation may be nature's most mysterious form of transport: Quantum information, such as the spin of a particle or the polarization of a photon, is transferred from one place to another, without traveling through any physical medium. It has previously been achieved between photons over very large distances, between photons and ensembles of atoms, and between two nearby atoms through the intermediary action of a third. None of those, however, provides a feasible means of holding and managing quantum information over long distances.

Now a team from the Joint Quantum Institute (JQI) at the University of Maryland (UMD) and the University of Michigan has succeeded in teleporting a quantum state directly from one atom to another over a substantial distance. That capability is necessary for workable quantum information systems because they will require memory storage at both the sending and receiving ends of the transmission.

In the Jan. 23 issue of the journal Science, the scientists report that, by using their protocol, atom-to-atom teleported information can be recovered with perfect accuracy about 90% of the time – and that figure can be improved.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141137.htm

I didn't read all the posts in this thread but I was just thinking about the subject. Living in a hologram seems compatible with a belief in a superior being that created all things. In fact, if this is a hologram it would demand belief in a superior being who created it.

If my world was an illusion I could do a heck of a better job of it .

This forum never ceases to amaze me. One minute someone will be dogging liberals and speculating that the president is a muslim, the next minute you will stumble into a thoughtful discussion on the nature of reality and the science of spirituality (or spirituality of science). Then of course, it's back to cattle again. You always keep me guessing and I always come back for more!

2/B or not 2/B":3tj9b1y5 said:
This forum never ceases to amaze me. One minute someone will be dogging liberals and speculating that the president is a muslim, the next minute you will stumble into a thoughtful discussion on the nature of reality and the science of spirituality (or spirituality of science). Then of course, it's back to cattle again. You always keep me guessing and I always come back for more!
Not really. It is mostly a figment of your imagination. That is what happens if you drink too much coffee, or not enough.

It is natural to miss the obvious. The answer to many obvious riddles are sometimes easy to figure out, they are bypassed. Here is an example:

Lone Ranger and Tonto

The Lone Ranger and Tonto are camping in the desert, set up their tent, and are asleep. Some hours later, The Lone Ranger wakes his faithful friend.
"Tonto, look up and tell me what you see."
Tonto replies, "Me see millions of stars."
"What does that tell you?" asks The Lone Ranger.
Tonto ponders for a minute.
"Astronomically speaking, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.
Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo.
Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three.
Theologically, it's evident the Lord is all powerful and we are small and insignificant.
Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.
What it tell you, Kemo Sabi?"
The Lone Ranger is silent for a moment, then speaks.
"Tonto, you Dumb Hoss, someone has stolen our tent."

Notice the first line describing the environment in which the story is told.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/obvious.html

HerefordSire":17h0yfld said:
It is natural to miss the obvious. The answer to many obvious riddles are sometimes easy to figure out, they are bypassed. Here is an example:

Lone Ranger and Tonto

The Lone Ranger and Tonto are camping in the desert, set up their tent, and are asleep. Some hours later, The Lone Ranger wakes his faithful friend.
"Tonto, look up and tell me what you see."
Tonto replies, "Me see millions of stars."
"What does that tell you?" asks The Lone Ranger.
Tonto ponders for a minute.
"Astronomically speaking, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.
Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo.
Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three.
Theologically, it's evident the Lord is all powerful and we are small and insignificant.
Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.
What it tell you, Kemo Sabi?"
The Lone Ranger is silent for a moment, then speaks.
"Tonto, you Dumb Hoss, someone has stolen our tent."

Notice the first line describing the environment in which the story is told.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/obvious.html

That's good! Sometimes its best not to overthink things. This is why faith is so wonderful for the dumb a$$es in the world like me.

Latest posts