Our Shorthorn Bull-Pics-

Help Support CattleToday:

karlie45

Reaction score
Ok, Here he is. "Baxter" is PB Shorthorn. Thats pretty much all that I know about him. He's my dads "project", so when he gets home from workin, I'll ask him to show me the rest of the information on him. If I remember correctly- He's 2 years old.
We are renting him for our small shorthorn herd as a cleanup bull. So tell me what you think!

bulllllls_004.jpg

Sorry bout the head in the hay feeder- it seems that thats the only time he stands still.

bulllllls_010.jpg

Baxter's Front.

Im workin on uploading a picture from behind...but my computer is being slow, so I'll add it when it's finished.

IMO - He stands a little close in both front and rear. Could be wider and thicker. Bone size a little small for a 2 year old bull. He is a pretty good slightly above average quality Shorthorn bull. He is probably manifesting "Milking Shorthorn" characteristics in his Phenotype. His EPD's should verify most of what his phenotype indicates.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1g2qceyl said:
IMO - He stands a little close in both front and rear. Could be wider and thicker. Bone size a little small for a 2 year old bull. He is a pretty good slightly above average quality Shorthorn bull. He is probably manifesting "Milking Shorthorn" characteristics in his Phenotype. His EPD's should verify most of what his phenotype indicates.

DOC HARRIS
doc i agree with you.the only problem i see is the bull is to tightly made in his rear an front end.he is a nice long bodied bull.has the frame to carry more weight.he has the muscle as well.id like to see him a little heavier.

Thanks Everyone.
Doc- I agree on the bone, but could you please explain the "milking shorthorn" characteristics? I dont think that I follow.

Here's another picture. If anyone knows how to flip it, please help me out. Untill then, just tilt your head. ;-)
bulllllls_006.jpg

And please...ignore the old herf standin next to him. Thats the cousin's "pet" cow :roll: She's leaving at weaning time anyway.

karla45-

The picture of the Shorthorn bull in the early part of this thread indicated that he was a little narrow from front to rear - narrower than a "Terminal" type beef bull would be to be considered 'optimal' for a herd bull. The "Milking Shorthorn" reference was for the Phenotype and Genetype of the breed "Milking Shorthorn" of several years ago - which had some beef characteristics and some 'milking' breed characteristics. They were usually a little narrow and 'finer' framed than a burly BEEF breed bull, but were heavier milking animals than the usual beef cows of the day - being a little lighter boned and finer featured. The rear view of the bull shown just a few posts back is a better example of a Beef Shorthorn phenotype than a Milking Shorthorn type. Another good example of why I have said in the past several posts that "Pictures" are a lousy way to determine and judge cattle!

DOC HARRIS

He's got a few faults, like Doc says. But overall he sure is a nice looking bull for a 2 year old. I'd be willing to throw him in with some heifers.

DOC HARRIS":18i4sin9 said:
karla45-

The picture of the Shorthorn bull in the early part of this thread indicated that he was a little narrow from front to rear - narrower than a "Terminal" type beef bull would be to be considered 'optimal' for a herd bull. The "Milking Shorthorn" reference was for the Phenotype and Genetype of the breed "Milking Shorthorn" of several years ago - which had some beef characteristics and some 'milking' breed characteristics. They were usually a little narrow and 'finer' framed than a burly BEEF breed bull, but were heavier milking animals than the usual beef cows of the day - being a little lighter boned and finer featured. The rear view of the bull shown just a few posts back is a better example of a Beef Shorthorn phenotype than a Milking Shorthorn type. Another good example of why I have said in the past several posts that "Pictures" are a lousy way to determine and judge cattle!

DOC HARRIS
Thanks for the explanation Doc. I had heard the term a couple times, just never caught on to what it ment.

Latest posts