Our Herd Sires

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Our lineup of herd sires for 2008. (1) Jet Black Phantom (Overwhelmer X Jet Black Wynonna), (2) Rumble (Roundup X Deer Fly), and (3) Roundup's Blue Spock (Roundups Purple Sage X Ozark Mist).

Phantom is solid black and weighs about 1850#. He is dual registered and dual A.I. Certified via ITLA and TLBAA. He puts very good full-bodied calves on the ground. Rumble is medium sized bull, about 1400# with 80" total horn. He was acquired last year and is being used on our 1st calf heifers and others we want to put more horn on. Spock is about 1500# and is a blue roan and won 2nd place in his class at 2005 TLBAA Horn Showcase with 59-3/4" total horn at 23 months of age.

We also own Phantom's dam, Jet Black Wynonna, as well as Spock's dam, Ozark Mist.
2008RAFHerdSiresddd.jpg

looks like you have a nice bull battery to bred your cow.an you know the traits you want your cattle to have an you breed for them.how meny cows will each bull breed this year.

bigbull338":10drt691 said:
looks like you have a nice bull battery to bred your cow.an you know the traits you want your cattle to have an you breed for them.how meny cows will each bull breed this year.

Thanks for your comment!

Each of our bulls will breed about 6-8 females this year. Depends a lot on the female's size, genetics, horn & body style, etc. We're also doing a limited amount of close line breeding. Also, since we have several females that tend to have more females than males, we try to match them with bull(s) that have a history of more females produced. We also try to calculate and do matings that will enphasize certain traits in the offspring. For example, in our experience the "Senator" line tends to produce offspring that tend to be a touch swaybacked; therefore, this line is outcrossed with our Roundup lines. When we get an offspring that has very good body, horn, and that sell readily, then we tend to repeat that breeding. A lot of factors come into play with our mating strategies. Overall, we are trying to produce offspring with very good conformation along with as much horn as possible.

i knew by looking at your bulls.that you put alot into correctly mating the right bull to the right cows.an improve their calves quality.an correct any falts the cow might have through her calves.

Nice bulls, certainly the black one. But Bill, you really confuse me, no disrespect. Senator line can not be outcrossed with overwhelmer line, It is his father for christs sake!
second, the cow decides if calf will be bull or heifer and it will be close to half of each in the long run,whatever one breeds them to.
Please tell me how you think it works, because I am afraid I can not follow you on this one.

ANAZAZI":2oucrp1o said:
Nice bulls, certainly the black one. But Bill, you really confuse me, no disrespect. Senator line can not be outcrossed with overwhelmer line, It is his father for christs sake!
second, the cow decides if calf will be bull or heifer and it will be close to half of each in the long run,whatever one breeds them to.
Please tell me how you think it works, because I am afraid I can not follow you on this one.

Thanks for calling my attention to my "brain crash fast typing"...lol. Yes, Senator is the son of Overwhelmer. I've corrected my post.

On the sex issue of our calves. Since we've owned Jet Black Phantom he has sired approx. 65 to 70% female calves from a variety of our cows. Also, one of our cows, "SD Miss Gracie" has given us about 2/3 heifers in her offspring. This may not be "genetically predictable" in terms of Mendellian Law; however, that is what's been hitting the ground with these 2 Longhorns. May be a fluke or something. So, if we have a cow that tends to produce bull calves, we mate her with Jet Black Phantom (everything else being equal) to possibly reduce the chances for another bull calf...

ANAZAZI":10u8p6kg said:

Huh??? Sperm determines the sex...that is produced by the bull.

TexasBred":3lqkjcyu said:
ANAZAZI":3lqkjcyu said:
Nice bulls, certainly the black one. But Bill, you really confuse me, no disrespect. Senator line can not be outcrossed with overwhelmer line, It is his father for christs sake! I corrected my original post...my bad...fingers faster than brain on that one.

Huh??? Sperm determines the sex...that is produced by the bull.

Regardless of Mendellian laws, who or what sex determines sex of calf (I don't want to get into all that confusion...lol), OUR record with the bull mentioned has sired more heifers than bull calves since we've owned him....luck of the draw??

Such a bad typo; I know that the bulls meiosis determins the sex of the calfs, hence sexed semen. Sorry!

Meiosis in a cow leads to one Xchromosome and one Xchromosome, so no matter wich one it is the same.
Meiosis in the bull leads to one X and one Ychromosome.
Then combined, it will be either XX (heifercalf) or XY ( bullcalf)

Latest posts