our elections

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
The counting is on in our federal elections here in Australia. We voted today. It looks like we will have a change of government. It saddens me no end,we have a great country,all John Howards good work will be whittled away by a government that favours welfare over those that want to work. Young people will now have very little chance of owning their own homes properties etc. Interest rates will go up and the US will not be supported near as much.
I think the rural scene in Australia will change a great deal because of this election. I can see many landholders selling up because of it. The incoming government made not one mention of agriculture in any of their policies.
Colin

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like our two countries have more in common than I ever realized. Hang in there, looks like we will be traveling the same road here shortly.

Australian Cattleman":11kg0675 said:
The counting is on in our federal elections here in Australia. We voted today. It looks like we will have a change of government. It saddens me no end,we have a great country,all John Howards good work will be whittled away by a government that favours welfare over those that want to work. Young people will now have very little chance of owning their own homes properties etc. Interest rates will go up and the US will not be supported near as much.
I think the rural scene in Australia will change a great deal because of this election. I can see many landholders selling up because of it. The incoming government made not one mention of agriculture in any of their policies.
Colin
Sorry to hear that.

Sorry about the election Colin. Don't worry about yhe lack of support for the U. S., we don't even support ourselves.

I think we need to at least give Rudd a chance, and if he stuffs up no doubt we'll oust him as quick as we voted him in.
Saying that though, I would feel more comfortable under a Liberal/National government.
The Lib leadership is under a bit of a cloud though, with no Costello anymore.

My bet is Tony Abbott or Brendan Nelson will be the Leader of The Opposition. I personally prefer Brendan Nelson out of the two.

I do agree with that though. Plus now we'll have Kerry O'Brien as Agriculture Minister. In my opinion, no-one at the moment could do a better job than Peter McGauran was doing, he has dealt remarkably well with the EI caper, and has been a great minister, I think, over the last 3 years.

I don't think anyone one else at this present time could knock Kevin Rudd off other than Malcolm Turnbull. Once I found out Turnbull was running I automatically pictured him as the leader.

Barnaby Joyce has opened his trap and said he wouldn't be surprised if the Nationals leadership was contested now. I don't think anyone could do a better job than Mark Vaile. The only one's who would be in real contention anyway would be Peter McGauran(Fmr Ag Minister) or Warren Truss(our local member, and Fmr Trade Minister)

Brendan Nelson is the new Opposition Leader, with Julie Bishop as Deputy. I really thought Malcolm Turnbull would have taken it. The vote was 45-42 so it was a very divided Liberal Party Room.

Also it looks as though our local member, Warren Truss will be The Nationals leader, as Peter McGauran has said he doesn't want the job.

And Tony Burke is the new Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry, I can't say i've heard anything about him, but I'm sure we'll find out who he is soon enough.