Other Activities?...I know you have some!

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS":1c9wa82h said:
At one point you could get 60 or 70.00 for a big, cased blue coon. The blue's had very little brown or grey in the fur on their back....appearing amost a blackish blue color.

The most I ever got for a coon was $48 here in TX. He was huge. The average was $25 to $35. They referred to our coons as "ridge runners" and I never really knew what that meant. One old man told me "more silver" but who knows?

Seems like every time I caught a fox I could reset and catch the mate the following night in the same set. The reds would fetch close to $75.

The fur market is on an upswing. It seems to happen every time there is a recession. My old trapping partner still runs lines in Montana, Alaska, and with cage traps in Washington. He said that he got a $57 average on Montana coyotes, $100 on Alaska beavers, and the big surprise was $10 muskrats. Raccoon are still in the dumps at $10.
He has invented and is making some sort of a multiple catch cage trap for muskrats. He claims it works great and is legal in Washington. He is wanting me to run a line with him for a week or two in February. I don't know that I can run traps all day and then skin a 100+ rats at night like I did in the 80's. But with $10 rats I might be willing to try.....

1000.00/day for musks, if you can trap that many I'd find a way to make it work. Pay some kids to help skin maybe
Coons have a market down here. Take them down to the darker side of town, skin them but leave the feet on and they bring 25 bucks
No use for furs down here. But my wife's grandfather use to trap a lot along upstate ny rivers and streams using toe traps. It's neat reading his notes. He kept a daily diary and ended up working with the state to determine best use, limits, etc for trapping.

Dave":2eihwb44 said:
The fur market is on an upswing. It seems to happen every time there is a recession. My old trapping partner still runs lines in Montana, Alaska, and with cage traps in Washington. He said that he got a $57 average on Montana coyotes, $100 on Alaska beavers, and the big surprise was $10 muskrats. Raccoon are still in the dumps at $10.
He has invented and is making some sort of a multiple catch cage trap for muskrats. He claims it works great and is legal in Washington. He is wanting me to run a line with him for a week or two in February. I don't know that I can run traps all day and then skin a 100+ rats at night like I did in the 80's. But with $10 rats I might be willing to try.....
Diffidently the biggest money maker right know are muskrats. Don't take much to catch'em and they are about the easiest to put up.
I got $7 a head last year for mine, compared to 4 years ago when I was getting $3-4.

Hook, I know you probably have a real good market for coon meat down there in the darker side. My fur buyer always gets a bunch from east St.Louis that buys his coon meat.

dun":2r0i6b6g said:
How is it any different then pictures of someone holding a fish that they're going to release or a video of a fish fighting to get lose?

Touche' Dun. Your point is well taken. :tiphat:
While I've never held onto a fish long enough to take a picture, and I don't like when someone plays a fish so long as to wear it out, I do practice mostly catch and release.
I guess I rationalize my hypocrisy by making a distinction between fish and most mammals.

CottageFarm":1924e1j1 said:
making a distinction between fish and most mammals.
That's a problem that most of us have at times. I'll go out of my way to run over a snake but will dodge away to not a squirrel or a dog.

dun":2cog6bhi said:
CottageFarm":2cog6bhi said:
That's a problem that most of us have at times. I'll go out of my way to run over a snake but will dodge away to not a squirrel or a dog.
Sometimes I think squirrels are suicidal. They'll change directions on you three times while you're trying to miss one.

TexasBred":1g22y8sr said:
dun":1g22y8sr said:
CottageFarm":1g22y8sr said:
Sometimes I think squirrels are suicidal. They'll change directions on you three times while you're trying to miss one.
Squirrels can navigate a light line 25 ft above the ground, jump from one tree to the other and never slow down. And they can't cross the highway. Yes they are committing suicide IMO

TexasBred":2wh4x6ec said:
dun":2wh4x6ec said:
CottageFarm":2wh4x6ec said:
:p :p thanks for the laugh - so so true!!!

M5farm":2pj8lr6b said:
Squirrels can navigate a light line 25 ft above the ground, jump from one tree to the other and never slow down. And they can't cross the highway. Yes they are committing suicide IMO
Why did the chicken cross the road?

To prove to the possum that is was possible!

dun":1e0b5uqu said:
M5farm":1e0b5uqu said:
Why did the chicken cross the road?

To prove to the possum that is was possible!

Why did the possum cross the road?

Don't know, he never made it. :lol2:

As for hobbies, we have motorcycles. A Harley touring model and two enduro bikes. Im also a musician, have a recording studio too.

As for trapping, if the beavers wouldnt flood the hay meadows, I wouldnt bother them. If the coyotes don't bother the livestock, I dont bother them. I have asked them very politely to knock it off, but that didnt work at all. Unfortunately if they arent thinned out, almost any animal will cause problems. If seeing a picture of a dead animal causes you distress, then you'd better darn well get out of the livestock business. Why is beef raised? To be killed and eaten. That steak on your plate is no different than that beaver picture. Now,...beaver summer sausage on the other hand, is just wrong.
Merry CHRISTmas everyone, and may God bless you all.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ns0o4ph said:
Now that I'm bawling - I wanted to say that I've read your blog before and you should write books. You are really, really good. Thank your for sharing.
My blue healer is 16 years old. Having just lost my husband, I know it won't be long before I am faced with losing Stetson also. Right now, he is in great health. Can't really hear anything, and is getting to where he doesn't see very well, but lively & active. He lets my Miniature Schnauzer "think" he's boss - until something seems important enough - than he puts Razzamataz down - at which point I have to break it up - because Razz doesn't know to quit. He thinks he's 100#.
I love to bass fish and I deer hunt - although they were activities that the two of us always did together.

I think spelling 'blue heeler' as 'blue healer' is probably a good description of him. I hope he has an exta long, healthy life.

Almost 8 years ago our life took an unexpected turn. Our kids were out of the house. We were working on establishing ourselves as Hereford breeders, having bought an intact herd just 3 years before that. We were having some fun showing cattle. And then our 5 year old grandson came to live with us permanently; at least until he graduates college! I camped and did all the mom things through Cub Scouts, chauffeur him to all the Boy Scout stuff, now he's 13 and working on his Eagle project. I've taken him to music lessons for years, now he's a very good flute & saxophone musician, playing in school, church, etc. He's taken over showing the cattle, we'll compete a bit against each other in open class, that's kind of fun now that he's older. As my husbands health has deteriorated, Joe & I have taken on more of the farm chores, and for a time we'll be doing it all.
I had to cut back stuff I did that just involved me, but I have continued being the church treasurer. I had always thought I'd be an accountant if I didn't farm, but I've been a computer programmer/analyst for 22 years so the treasurer position fulfills the accounting desire.
I used to hunt, but hunting for a package of meat in the freezer is easier. I used to hunt with my dad when I was young, I think that was the main attraction of hunting.
Oh, I like to fix our house. I've learned to plaster over brick & lathe, the original construction of our house. I drywall & finish it. I don't do electric, but I might have to learn that.

Edited to add: Number 1 activity is bragging about grandson & granddaughters! Number 2 activity is reminding grandson that homework is HIS 1st priority!

Chris - HaHa - good call on the HEALER!!! I know better, fingers just didn't do what brain said!
Since hubby had always had a full time job, I was used to hunting alone. But, now it's no fun. The thrill was being able to tell him what happened or SHOW him my kill. I went out every day our nephews were here hunting - but I "drove" to them. Didn't do any sitting. Ken asked one of the nephews to promise to keep me supplied with venison. :banana: Works for me!

I don't really have time any more.

When I did I went to line dancing, craft where I did paper craft, pilates and garden club.

Now I get up and do online surveys for an hour or so while I play on the forums. I started in September 2011 and have earned in the hand, $1,195.80. That doesn't count the balance on the different websites at the moment.

Today at 6.30am I will go down and rake. We received 8 mm of rain yesterday so I will be going down to see if the hay is ruined or not.

7.30am pilates with my neighbours. I will either be late or miss as it will take me more than an hour to rake.

8am work. I will try and wrangle that I do the banking today. I have to get petrol otherwise I won't make it home.

An hours lunch break so I might come home and rake again, it depends on the weather and what it is going to do today. If not I usually go to a friend's for lunch and do the pilates 10 minutes again.

5pm leave work. Come home, take the clothes off the line if they are dry, feed the bull, check his water. Check the garden.

Check online surveys again. I don't usually do that but have decided as there is rumblings at work as to whether they are keeping us all or not that I might earn more doing it twice a day rather than once.

I love TV so tape everything and can sit down and relax watching something without the adverts.

Tea and bed. Except I fell asleep in front of the TV night and have been up since 3am playing on the forums and doing some surveys.

I might go and lie down and see if I can doze until 6am and get some breaky before going down to rake. CYA

Latest posts