Other Activities?...I know you have some!

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
I know that not all of you work 24 hours a day, and have to have sometime to do a hobby, or other activity. :D
For me if i'm not taken care of the cows or driving a tractor i'm out trapping furbearers around the farm.

Rodeo. I used to be quit the avid collector of arrowheads. I lost my collection in a tornado. I kinda lost all interest in accumulating anything after that whole ordeal. I still get really excited when I stumble on one. I will never go hunt one again. I enjoy looking at others collections on the Internet.

Bigfoot":21vsjrd0 said:
Rodeo. I used to be quit the avid collector of arrowheads. I lost my collection in a tornado. I kinda lost all interest in accumulating anything after that whole ordeal. I still get really excited when I stumble on one. I will never go hunt one again. I enjoy looking at others collections on the Internet.
My uncle has quite a collection that he has bought off of people that come by his shop and some that he found. It is pretty fun when you find one.

Yes Jeanne that me got a beard now instead of just some chin fur... :lol2:

sim.-ang.king":9mvo1oaa said:
Bigfoot":9mvo1oaa said:
My uncle has quite a collection that he has bought off of people that come by his shop and some that he found. It is pretty fun when you find one.

Yes Jeanne that me got a beard now instead of just some chin fur... :lol2:

So you qualify as a furbearer now. :lol: Me to.

We used to collect Indian artifacts of all sorts. One time as a kid I was in Nevada visiting my grandmother and we hunted all day around some teepee rings and didn't find a thing all afternoon and then about dusk the temp dropped into the teens and we jumped in the truck to leave and drove about ten feet before a seven inch obsidian knife gouged a hole in a front tire... We kept the knife but it was a looong cold walk back to the homestead.

As far as personal hobbies, I love my life so work and hobby gets entertwined quite a bit. My gardening turns into farming. My genetic tinkering turns into ranching and a breeding service. My bee hobby turned into a full blown pollination service but it's back to being a neglected hobby. :roll: My homebrewing hobby got about halfway through the paperwork to be a real business before I figured out that all the fun would be gone and quit the paperwork, and pretty much the homebrewing.
Life is fun if you look at it as a challenge and an oppertunity to learn... any other view just looks like hard work.

Love trapping but do not have the time anymore. Now it is hunting, cattle, guns and eating. I also enjoy playing fine guitars and traveling. Oh......and archery.

Love the yote and beaver. Cooks were too easy and just a nuisance :)

Reloading, archery, hunting ,enjoy watching nature as much as the hunt.
Have got where I squirrel hunt a lot with muzzleloading shotgun.
Just taking my time enjoying the hunt shooting enough for a meal.
Hunt with one like this most of the time, I do also have a Huntsman 12 gauge.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =318724028
If it aint botherin me or I'm not going to eat it, it's safe.

How did you trap the beaver? Did you use a leghold or a conibear?

I like hunting and have recently taken up trapping out of neccesity. Also like experimenting with meats.

Here are a few pictures of some of my experiments.

IMG_0487-1-1.jpg

And one of my trapping activities.

IMG_6951.jpg

Oh, and I did say experimenting with meat. Here are some beaver summer sausages. ;-)

IMG_6962.jpg

BTW - If you are not eating the beaver meat you are missing out.

Work hard and play harder.
Hobbies are: hunting,fishing,cooking,cattle,scuba diving, good debates/ arguments.
Sometime they all blend into the working world and vice versa.
I've dabbled in bees, and a handful of other hobbies that I've lost interest in.
I think everyone should try beaver once in their lifetime. There a lot of little nuances in the intricate flavors.

Work,Work,Work..........not really. My day job is on the way out. Will probably just go thru the motions for the next couple of years.

On the other hand #1 would be my cows that will get more time as i go toward retirement, upland bird hunting, Varmint hunting and i still like to shoot the ocassional Elk,

One major bucket list item for me is to kill one great big Trophy Mule Deer buck. I am sitting on 18 preference points which means that when i retire i can hunt any season and any unit in Colorado to make that come true!

and last but certainly not least is to spend as much time as possible with my grandkids in the upcoming years.

Jogeephus":2mlpi819 said:
How did you trap the beaver? Did you use a leghold or a conibear?

I like hunting and have recently taken up trapping out of neccesity. Also like experimenting with meats.

Here are a few pictures of some of my experiments.

IMG_0487-1-1.jpg

And one of my trapping activities.

IMG_6951.jpg

Oh, and I did say experimenting with meat. Here are some beaver summer sausages. ;-)

IMG_6962.jpg

BTW - If you are not eating the beaver meat you are missing out.
I caught the beaver in a coni set at a bank den hole.
I made some of my first deer sausage back a couple of weeks ago. Need to get a picture of it for you. But no beaver meat for me, that went to the coyotes they love it! :lol:
cow pollinater, I guess your right I do qualify as a furbearer :lol2:
You all have some pretty interesting activities!

My hobbies include the following in no particular order: Drinking beer, drinking beer than riding horse, drinking beer than cooking, drinking beer than reading, drinking beer and harrassing folks on the internet, drinking beer than going to sleep. The end.

I used to show horses and raise a few colts out of my halter-bred QH stud and my small herd of mares. Still got them but not raising colts anymore and I haven't shown in a long time. Like having them around even though the hubby calls them expensive yard ornaments. (Hey I work hard to support them and they are ALMOST the only vice I got! LOL)
I work too much, play too little. Enjoy the cattle a lot so will keep doing that even after I retire from 911 and dispatch. I have quite a few collections; Black Fury comic books, a herd of Mobo horses and ponies, books of many kinds, plus many MANY model horses (Breyer, Hartland, porcelain, metal). Actually, now that I think about it... I MIGHT be a hoarder!! :oops: I think I need to learn to relax and enjoy the grandkids like 3Way says.....

God gave man the horse to work cattle, other than that there is nothing befiiting mans time or energy
of couse it is mans duty to rid the earth of feral hogs

silent laser guided death in the darkness
laserbow.jpg

I have 3 kids, my time is spent at soccer and softball games, dance recitals, and all 3 ride horses and are learning to compete in barrels and poles. I watch football and a little baseball. I read western fiction (usually 60-100 books per year). Of course most of my time is spent on the ranch improving my land and enjoying my cattle.

Well outside of my cattle wich is not a hobby but i like it to much to be a job so i guess they are just my life and source of income.I deer hunt a lot,varmit hunt, don't really turkey hunt because it's allways to warm for me to want to sit in the woods in turkey season but i still shoot alot of turkeys. I fish and me and my dad fish a lot of bass tournements.I like horses but don't ever want more than about 3 or 4 that is plenty for me.I also have had a gun fascination since i was old enough to be able to shoot one and i have a decent collection.

I like to get up early, do chores, go to work, watch Sara's butt, scream at the phone for ringing all the time, raise birds and give them away, raise my cows.
I guess since I got my first cattle dog, I now kinda like to chase cows. Did I mention that I like to watch Sara's butt work? gs

Latest posts