Other Activities?...I know you have some!

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":195en9xn said:
C.B. you don't kill rattlesnakes??

Yep everyone I see, but they are botherin me. That is the only positive I have seen out of a hog as they are denting the fire out of them. I have lost four good dogs to them and had some nasty cow infections to treat.

HOSS":3c5tc7nf said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3c5tc7nf said:
I don't think any poster on here is AGAINST trapping. Just not good for the cause to show live, distressed animals. PITA and others look at these sites also you know. Fuel for the fire.

I think chippie said that she hates it ;-)

I don't like the idea of not checking sets daily. When I used to run a trap line to supplement my income in the lean days I would check my traps every morning. If an animal was in my trap it was dispatched cleanly with a .22 short. I didn't want an animal to sit chained to a stake any longer than necessary.
In IL you must check daily, and mourning is diffidently the best time. I've went and checked traps one time at 4:00 am because I had to leave for Louisville by 5...I was pooped after that! :lol2:

HOSS":36o5robz said:
Trapping is fast becoming a lost art. Kudos to Sim-King for keeping it alive. I would rather see young people out trapping than sitting in front of a video game all day and smoking dope while wearing their pants sagging down to their knees.
:clap:

I hunt, fish, wood lathe, leather repair, braiding, holsters and belts, dabble in blacksmithing, carpentry community handyman and working on and.riding my cj7. And I have trapped a beaver or two when I was younger.

M5farm":1gqntbjf said:
I hunt, fish, wood lathe, leather repair, braiding, holsters and belts, dabble in blacksmithing, carpentry community handyman and working on and.riding my cj7. And I have trapped a beaver or two when I was younger.

Lol ok, well I know a ford that want hold a tranmission!

I never could understand why guys would grow up and give up on hunting and fishing, but know I know. I had a lot more time when I was chasing the big girls. Now I'm chasing little ones and they will keep you busy from sun up to sundown and even then some. One is old enough and wants to go with me, if we don't have to get up too early. ;-) The other has quite a ways to go. When given the chance, I try to get out and do a little deer and turkey hunting, hog hunting, bass fishing and started trying a little stripper. Miss having quail around and tried my hand at fly fishing when I lived in Colorado. Built a self bow from osage orange I cut down on the home place of my great-grandad. Used to spend weeks trying to tune my compound bow to perfection. Wish I had time for archery this year. I enjoy having to get so close to the action and all the surprises that occur in nature. I enjoy cooking when possible. Started smoking meats a couple years ago and that is a good challenge. Spent a year and a half tearing down a chinese 4 wheeler in my garage and trying to get it to run. I don't recommend it and my wife is :mad: about the garage. Still like listening to some live Red dirt/Texas music. Spend too much time on the internet.

Had a friend I met in college that we hit it off on day one, and were like fire and gasoline. We remained very close after school, and either he or I would come up with a new wild haired scheme and try to convence the other into trying it. We dabbled in making homemade wine and such, spoonbill fishing, arrow head and artifact hunting, performing experiments all in the name of science. He moved out of state last year, and now I'm left to come up with my own ideas- guess, I'll try gardening...

Jeanne - Simme Valley":kvtufcuj said:
I don't think any poster on here is AGAINST trapping. Just not good for the cause to show live, distressed animals. PITA and others look at these sites also you know. Fuel for the fire.

I endorse what Jeanne has so wisely said....

I would also add that in our prosperous times where wildlife is no longer considered a main source of food as it was in the time of my grandfathers.....

that nuisance livestock is reaching epidemic proportions

three Bambies stepped out into the road in front of me this morning....Recall I hit one just a few weeks ago....I have to be on deer alert every morning....Coons possums and skunks and foxes have long been a vexation in my area....coyotes have at least aided in that....now we have suburban bears and lions are staging a comeback in our area....not to mention the latest plague of feral hogs.....beavers have gone from threatened to nuisance in just a few short years....conservation is good and I want these species to be around for future generations.....I never saw an eagle until I was grown and never saw one in my home state until fifteen years ago....now they are commonplace....but along with this wildlife resurgence, come Rabies epidemics and brucelosis and chronic wasting disease and other things we don't know about yet. responsible trapping is a reliable method of dealing with some of these problems....

Jeanne - Simme Valley":13ydjrjk said:
I also did not like seeing the live animals trapped. I understand that's part of the process, but did not like the pics. Hubby always trapped woodchucks, but used canilore (sp??) - killed them.

Conibear. I got about 20 of the 220 model hanging in the shed. About a half dozen 330. They haven't been used in 30 years but I aint parting with them.

The old Victor leg traps are fine if a person runs their lines promptly.

What gives trappers a bad name is the bad trappers.

Arkansas":2n65uubf said:
I respect all creatures, everything has its own place in the world and balances things out. Sim.-ang.King has thrown out the balance of this, the earth is starting to spin violently out of control we must sacrfrice Sim. DOWN WITH SIM!
Just kidding..lmao

Arky you almost sound like Massey165 (or 135) reincarnated.

Back to "what else do you do"?? I enjoy hunting and fishing but don't do it as much as I use to. I volunteer one day a week at a hospital and serve on the Parrish Council at my church. Use to be active in Lions Club and the local HS Booster club but turned that over to the younger folks. Now I just attend, eat, burp and go home.

backhoeboogie":1caprq0x said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1caprq0x said:
I also did not like seeing the live animals trapped. I understand that's part of the process, but did not like the pics. Hubby always trapped woodchucks, but used canilore (sp??) - killed them.

Conibear. I got about 20 of the 220 model hanging in the shed. About a half dozen 330. They haven't been used in 30 years but I aint parting with them.

The old Victor leg traps are fine if a person runs their lines promptly.

What gives trappers a bad name is the bad trappers.
If a young eager trapper came along and gave you $5 a pop for the coni's, would you part with them? ;-) :lol2:
The bad guys give the good guys a bad name...guess that's why they call them bad guys. :lol2:

sim.-ang.king":26a8tk2i said:
The bad guys give the good guys a bad name...guess that's why they call them bad guys. :lol2:

If it is daylight and an animal is still alive in a leg trap, something is wrong in my opinion.

This is strictly an opinion. I was taught different and I always ran trap lines before daylight, the way I was taught.

There are more words I could offer but it would be offensive to some and there's really no value to the discussion to start with.

I like to fish . I fish probably 3 days a week on average . Headed to the water now . I like to spend time with my family . Take my boys fishing and hunting . Spend as much time as possible in the summer at the bay . I can remember cleaning coons and mink when I wAs 8 or. 9 years old . My dad and uncle trapped . Back then a big male coon brought 25 bucks a peice . And we sold the meat for 4 dollars a coon . There's just no money in it now . Life is cruel no use in feeling sorry for something that wouldn't think twice about hurting you .

I ran a long line trap line in the late 70's and through the 80's. Worked my tail off but made decent money and had a great time doing it. Then I got married and had no time to run all over the country trapping. The boys and I trapped a little in the creek down back. But in the mid 90's all the liberals in Seattle with help from the HSUS decided to outlaw trapping with leghold or bodygripping traps in the state.

backhoeboogie":2eg0b0ni said:
sim.-ang.king":2eg0b0ni said:

If it is daylight and an animal is still alive in a leg trap, something is wrong in my opinion.

This is strictly an opinion. I was taught different and I always ran trap lines before daylight, the way I was taught.

There are more words I could offer but it would be offensive to some and there's really no value to the discussion to start with.
I always checked mine right at daylight when I could see the set with bino's. When trapping fox, yotes and bobcats I found it best to stay away from the set as much as possible. Helps with scent control. My coon and water sets I checked and reset before daylight. It was a ton of work but satifying work when things went well. I sold all of my traps and scent baits a long time ago. I now have only a couple of live traps that I use on nuisance coons.

There were 7 different buyers that came through my little town each Saturday. There was a guy named Red Veal that was always fair to me as a kid. I took everything to him. One week in particular I had 3 bobcat, several red and grey fox, ring tails, and coons. Don't rememeber the tally on most of it but it was my best bobcat week ever. The check was for just over $800. I put that with other money I had been earning and it gave me right at half the price of a new pick-up. Dad took me to buy that new truck and I was very proud of it. My payments were a whopping $89 after the down payment.

When I first started trapping we had to stretch and dry the animals before we could sell the pelts. Later years in the 70's we could just freeze the hides until the day of the sale. So much easier!

backhoeboogie":1lgvztxr said:
There were 7 different buyers that came through my little town each Saturday. There was a guy named Red Veal that was always fair to me as a kid. I took everything to him. One week in particular I had 3 bobcat, several red and grey fox, ring tails, and coons. Don't rememeber the tally on most of it but it was my best bobcat week ever. The check was for just over $800. I put that with other money I had been earning and it gave me right at half the price of a new pick-up. Dad took me to buy that new truck and I was very proud of it. My payments were a whopping $89 after the down payment.

When I first started trapping we had to stretch and dry the animals before we could sell the pelts. Later years in the 70's we could just freeze the hides until the day of the sale. So much easier!
Bobcats are making a comeback. The Japanese like them, and have been making them into neck warms. I get about $10-15 for put up coons nowadays, but the coyotes around here are worth about $5 if they will even buy them. But got to trap them and thin them out before the foxes will ever come back.

At one point you could get 60 or 70.00 for a big, cased blue coon. The blue's had very little brown or grey in the fur on their back....appearing amost a blackish blue color.

Latest posts