Options for packing seedbed

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
We are preparing to plant a small plot (3 acres) in an improved bermuda grass. Need to roll or pack after planting. Anyone have suggestions on an economical way to pack or roll for the small-timer?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Beleive it or not for 3 acres I would use the tractor tires if I could not find one to borrow. If their are some farmers around your area you may find some old row crop packers. For a one time use it is hardly worth building one.

Unless this is a onetime thing, you can pick one up at an auction cheap as there are lots of them sitting around that haven't been used in years.

Cabo":7wui0tk6 said:
Unless this is a onetime thing, you can pick one up at an auction cheap as there are lots of them sitting around that haven't been used in years.

I saw some go for abought $400 at Sealy auction about a month ago. They were 1 foot culverts filled with concrete, axles stuck out both ends,and attached to framework.
If it is a one time job you can hire it out cheaper.

I built one with a 12 foot x 1/4 pipe from a scrapyard, and put solid concrete blocks on top. To much work for 3 acres.

The railroad tie will smooth it out but will not pack. I also think I may pull some of the sprigs out.

I did see a guy build a plywood sled with concrete for weight.
But that was for seed planted on the surface. I don,t think it would work for spriggs at 2 in. deep.

Novatech,

We are seeding the bermuda. Not sprigging. Tell me more about the plywood sled you saw.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

What do you have?
If you have a disk, you can adjust the blades so that they run straight and don't dig but will crimp the sprigs in.
Then just run over it with the tractor tires. 3 acres won't take long. The main thing is to pack it even so that it will be smooth. You know what else works and I use it to plant turnips is a golf cart. Just ride back and fourth over it until you have covered it all with the tires or the golf cart. It packs it nicely and not as tight as a tractor

Farmgirl":d0yhyyk0 said:
Novatech,

We are seeding the bermuda. Not sprigging. Tell me more about the plywood sled you saw.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

All you need to do is make sure they make good ground contact. The smother the better. You really should pack it before you plant, and again after.
Take a sheet of plywood and build a frame around it. 2 x 6 on edge should work. They only hold in the whatever you use for weight. Tie a rope or chain through the plywood and 2 x 6 at each corner of the drag, the 4 ft. end. Attach to tractor or truck, put weight in an pull slowly. Do no jerk it as the chain will pull through. Rain will plant the seed at the right debth. This brings up another point. Wait and plant untill just before a rain. If it sits to long the wind will pile it up or even blow it away.
Some peop[le do not even bother to pack bremuda seed, but I think it does a little better job.

I made one from an old 8' tubing gate and some old barn corrugated tin. Just screwed the tin to the tubing with self drilling screws and layed a couple of crossties for weight. Pulled it with a four wheeler. It worked when I seeded my yard about 1 1/2 acres several years back.

Economical way to pack or roll, OK, 55 gal drum w/both ends still in. 10.00. 2 - 1 in. pipe collars w/ 4 pre drilled holes 1.89 ea. 2 ft 1 in black pipe thred @ both ends. 6.00. 8 large self tapping sheet metel screws like used on sheet steel for pole barns call them 2.00. screw 1 collar on each end of drum cut pipe in half and screw into collars. Fill drum almost half way with water. Tie rope to each pipe and the other end to the tractor or 4 wheeler and pull. it roles and does a good job it's how we seed the paddocks. Pull it behind the lawn mower to roll front yard. Done it for years. Dump water and hide it behind shed on end. My two cents.