opinions wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

Part of the reason they get discounted is that Brahman cattle cannot be put on a hot grain ration - I think the feedlots need them to be about 3/8% to put on feed.
That's why there are so many crosses. People need the "ear" for the heat & bug resistance in the south, but need other breeds influence for the feedlots.

If we didn't need some brahman influence here I wouldn't use them. I don't have room for anything ornamental though I must say that the brahman we have is one handsome animal. Over the years we bred out too much of the brahman influence and when my father had the opportunity to by our current sire from a friend of his he jumped on it. The heifers will be put in my herd with my red angus bull. The charolais influence heifers (from a previous bull) from my herd will be put in with the brahman. I'll post more pic's of his daughters later on.

flaboy":1mu3e1mk said:
Double J Cattle":1mu3e1mk said:
I knew you werent knocking Brammers, Its just like a second job for me to take up for them because I catch alot of flack from friends about how much I like them. My philosophy is this : " The bigger the ears and hump the more I like them " I bet I'll get a laugh or two about that.

I have some brammer influence in some of mine but I try to keep the ear length to a minimum. If I don't they just flap their ears and fly over my fences. :lol: :lol:

Maybe we can trim their ears like they clip chickens to keep them grounded. ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2eg9k5jb said:
Part of the reason they get discounted is that Brahman cattle cannot be put on a hot grain ration - I think the feedlots need them to be about 3/8% to put on feed.
That's why there are so many crosses. People need the "ear" for the heat & bug resistance in the south, but need other breeds influence for the feedlots.
A friend of mine feeds about 200 straight Brahman steers in feedlots on a "hot grain ration" . For optimum growth in a Brahman the ration is slightly different than a British or Continental breed. This is part of the reason for discounts, finding enough volume of feeders to fill pen sizes. One pen of Brahman steers killed at Sam Kane (around Houston or Austin) brought the same money on the rail as comparable carcass in Nebraska and Oklahoma. Quality meat brings top price regardless of breed. I have yet to eat the ears or hide from one yet :cboy:

Double J Cattle":eyn1ahk9 said:
LOL I clipped my chickens wings and they still flew out of the pen, But my Brammers are homebodies.

Hey don't feel bad. I clipped my birds too and they still flew over the fence also.

Actually, if you mean my avatar, thats one I chose from this site. I do have a similar looking grey bull though. I'm still in the process of getting pictures that I feel will be quality ones, because I am picky and want the best ones I can get. Also , my computer isn't the best and I'm having trouble getting it to work. I'll get them on here as soon as I can.

Latest posts