Opinions please

Help Support CattleToday:

What would be your choice of bulls to breed to Red Brangus x Charolais cows for 3rd, terminal cross?

• Braunveih

• Fleckveih

• Red Simmental

• a red Brahma composite like Gert, BM, Braford, etc

• a black bull

• other ( explain in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I tried to click it and I don't know if it worked or not.
I just voted myself and when I did, a bunch of votes showed up. do you see any totals on the poll? right now I see 2 Flecks ( I did one of them) 4 red simma, I brahma composite and 2 "other", but they did not leave a comment on what the other freed should be

I thinhk I wo
Fleckvieh. Just make sure he's a non diluter which the majority of breeders test for now. Get a horned one too.
I would like any of the top 3 listed best, I think? Why horned?

Is anyone on here currently running red angus (or red brangus) x Charolais cows? If so, what are you breeding to and what color are your caalves. Does the Char blood dilute any of them? Or all of them?

I thinhk I wo

I would like any of the top 3 listed best, I think? Why horned?

Is anyone on here currently running red angus (or red brangus) x Charolais cows? If so, what are you breeding to and what color are your caalves. Does the Char blood dilute any of them? Or all of them?
In my opinion and experience horned cattle are just better. 2 minutes extra work when they are born but they are easier keeping and perform better. There are some good polled bulls but they are the exception rather than the norm. Not trying to start an argument, just my experience and yes a small percentage of my herd is polled. I have used polled bulls over the years mostly in the heifer pen and kept a few of the good ones.

In my opinion and experience horned cattle are just better. 2 minutes extra work when they are born but they are easier keeping and perform better. There are some good polled bulls but they are the exception rather than the norm. Not trying to start an argument, just my experience and yes a small percentage of my herd is polled. I have used polled bulls over the years mostly in the heifer pen and kept a few of the good ones.
What kind do you raise, catleman? Flechveih? Where are you located?

It want let me vote Warren , but my vote is other . Red Angus bull only because you said no black bull .
I think so too. I didn't list red angus ,though, because there wouldn't be as much heterosis. Same with going back with Red Brangus, though both would make a hellacious calf. The only reason I sand no black is because not sure if the Char blood would dilute the, black. I hope some one who really knows cattle color genetics, like Jeanne or Lucky P will address this.

I am confused. Did Warren just ask for an opinion? I am going to go lay down for a while in case I am sleepwalking.
Back later..
Like wise, I am shocked that you didn't have an opinion You always do, solicited or not. I know you fool with some red angus crosses; have you ever had red=angus /Charolais cows?

The big reason I said simmental is because if you account for the inherent genetics of Simmental, the daily rate of gain of Charolais, and the Red Brangus genetic combo on its own, you're really looking at something. You're looking at heterosis, you're looking at fast gainers, you're looking at a quadruple whammy for mothering. It's my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it, but the heifers would be marketable on the private market and the steers would do fine at the sale barn despite any possible color issues just on rate of gain alone. They'll likely be lunkers. You also know some order buyers, and that'll sell them on buying the lot, private treaty. If it makes you feel any better, go black on the bull.

won't let me vote, but obviously I would vote Simmental.
50/50 gave you excellent reasons, but something he didn't point out is the great marbling the breed offers.
Continental breeds are all going to give you power and growth, but Simmental us the highest marbling Continental.
Charolais have a different diluter gene (I believe) than what's in the Simmental breed.
IF it works the way I think it SHOULD work, all their offspring should be diluted because Char are carrying 2 diluter genes. So all offspring are carrying 1 diluter gene. Her offspring may or may not get it ....50-50 chance.
But, in the back of my peabrain, seems like they dont follow the rules!

The big reason I said simmental is because if you account for the inherent genetics of Simmental, the daily rate of gain of Charolais, and the Red Brangus genetic combo on its own, you're really looking at something. You're looking at heterosis, you're looking at fast gainers, you're looking at a quadruple whammy for mothering. It's my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it, but the heifers would be marketable on the private market and the steers would do fine at the sale barn despite any possible color issues just on rate of gain alone. They'll likely be lunkers. You also know some order buyers, and that'll sell them on buying the lot, private treaty. If it makes you feel any better, go black on the bull.
I agree. Simm or Fleck ,same genetics really. I didn't suggest black because I am not sure how much impact that CHar dilute gene would have in a 25% Char. Smokies get hit as hard or harder than white and red here, and in most other places, other than a small region in Oregon where they alledgedly outsell even black! :) The same man that bought Dan's Red Angus x Charbary heifers and the red Brangus x Charolais heifers, is also buying all the Char heifers that just calved to a red angus bull, and that Dan is going to AI to the red Brangus bull. Given all of that I guess he is going to use Red Brangus to breed all of these back with. Just thought I would see what people thought of other crosses.

Latest posts