Opinions on this steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
We thought about maybe showing this guy a little next summer. What do you guys think? Would he make a good show steer for 4H? Dont be scared to hurt my feelings. If not he will make a good freezer decoration!

holm25":1163qmuf said:
We thought about maybe showing this guy a little next summer. What do you guys think? Would he make a good show steer for 4H? Dont be scared to hurt my feelings. If not he will make a good freezer decoration!

I think he looks nice. No reason not to use him if he has a good disposition. Then you can butcher him.

Depends on how successful you want to be, and what your level of competition is. To be a "good" steer, impo he needs more bone, a LOT more muscle, more style, and more body. He also looks cow hocked and pretty narrow based. He's out of a nice cow, but to me he just looks like a nice feeder.

ricebeltrancher":qkdsjopp said:
Depends on how successful you want to be, and what your level of competition is. To be a "good" steer, impo he needs more bone, a LOT more muscle, more style, and more body. He also looks cow hocked and pretty narrow based. He's out of a nice cow, but to me he just looks like a nice feeder.

Yes. 100 % agree.

The OP did not identify the objective. If the Original Poster plans to compete at the National Western Stock Show, it would be easy to recommend that they upgrade.

If their objective is solely involvement, then they may have tons of fun showing that steer without spending another dime.

I participate on the Robertson County Beef Board. Our objective is to encourage the youth in our county to involve themselves in livestock activities. We had a program which presented a show heifer to the youngster in the county who could write the best essay on how the heifer would benefit their career objectives. Recently, we have substituted goats in place of the heifer.

When we evaluate the essays, the criteria is not about winning. The criteria is who demonstrates the highest values of our vocation. It is not focused on the heifers or the goat. It is focused on the future of our youngsters.

Latest posts