Opinions on this heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
This heifer was almost 9 months old in the picture and weighs just over 700 pounds. What do you think? Her mother is a fantastic cow.

Farmgir

She is very nice, I really like the length of body. Has the makings of good cow.

TNMasterBeefProducer":179hw3ch said:
Looks nice. 9 months and just over 700? Not growthy enough for my liking. Mine usually wean at 205 days at over 700. By nine months they are close to 900 pounds I would say.

What do yours weigh as bred heifers say at 24 to 3o mo.?

Please correct me if I am wrong.
The top line should be straight and level. Her hooks and tail head are to high.
The shoulder blades should be level with the spine. Hers are noticably above.
I don,t see the post leg someone mentioned earlier.

PDF,

She is a Limousin. A grandaughter of Cole First Down and ROMN Justice. We are feeding her some but not really pushing her. She is getting about 1-1 1/2% or her body weight. At her present rate of growth I suspect her yearling weight will be high 8 to low 9 hundred. We are in Texas so we have the extreme summer temperatures to deal with.

Thanks to all,

Farmgirl

She's a nice looking heifer. If she were mine I would keep her around to see how she turns out as a mother.

novatech":dc6a8w15 said:
Please correct me if I am wrong.
The top line should be straight and level. Her hooks and tail head are to high.
The shoulder blades should be level with the spine. Hers are noticably above.
I don,t see the post leg someone mentioned earlier.

I agree about everything but the legs. She looks tipped to me with that high tailhead. Legs to me do look a little posty but not enough to reject her. The tailhead/pelvis would do that.

Here is a picture of her mother last year 2 days before the heifer was born. As I remember it was a hot, humid September day. This gal was pretty uncomfortable that day.

DSC01563-B.jpg

Farmgirl

Dun
I see were the tailhead is higher but what does that due in regards to breeding or other problems. I am finally seeing these areas and quite a few of others( Topline,etc.) thanks to the forum. I have learned more about bull evaluation in 1 month than a whole year due to you fellow posters.

The heifer actulally is a lot like the mama but I think the heifer is a slightly improved version.

But it is terribly difficult to compare a cow with a heifer.

Dun, I usually track pretty well with what you say but I don't understand your concern with the tailhead set. The heifer I think is a bit better than the cow but neither would concern me. Many years ago we debated this in judging in college and finally decided that other than personal preference the only economic issue might be if the tailhead was so high that there might be reproductive contamination issues and then the cow would cull herself.

for the Pelvis I am assuming that you would like to see more angulation from the hooks to the pins but I might not be correct in assuming anything.

I also think the legs would be a problem before the structure of the pelvis and tailhead. I don't think they are bad but she is a little posty. I have kept heifers that were not this nice because of growth or the production of their mamas or some other fool reason. I weigh em and then rank em and then look at em and throw back anything that is hideous. Hauled a heifer out of the replacement group to the feeder group this past weekend and she was my 4th top indexing heifer. Pinched in the heartgirth and a little bit goose rumped. Just could not look at her any more.

I hesitate to be overly critical of other folks cattle. Most folks post a photo becasue they are proud of em. I just don't think it is polite to point out every fly speck that varies from absolute perfection.
I still have not seen that perfect animal and I have been knocking around cattle all my life and have worked at a couple of big outfits and one that did pretty well in the showring. they had a bigger crew in the show barn than I had in the cowherd.

I have found in life that few ever attain their goals. Given that if you set your goal on good that is all you can ever hope to attain. If you set your goal on perfection you are much more likely to attain good, especially when it comes to cattle. This is the reason I try and learn what is the best, and of course why.
Those that have seen the posts of pics on here should expect the same criticism as all the others in the past have received. Anyone has the right to voice their opinion and in fact may learn a little when they voice the wrong opinion. I actually have found a much more united stand on these boards than what I have seen between judges in the show ring.
Here is a little info I dug up for those that are interested.
http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publica ... MP-398.pdf

TNMasterBeefProducer":n6dolet9 said:
TSR":n6dolet9 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":n6dolet9 said:
Looks nice. 9 months and just over 700? Not growthy enough for my liking. Mine usually wean at 205 days at over 700. By nine months they are close to 900 pounds I would say.

What do yours weigh as bred heifers say at 24 to 3o mo.?

12-1300 pounds

So.... What you're saying is that your calves gain roughly 3.3 lbs. per day up to 270 days of age and from then on up to 24 months they gain .67 lbs. per day? :roll:

What do they weigh at yearling? Or do they just get to yearling age and stop growing altogether?

Sure.

Dun, I usually track pretty well with what you say but I don't understand your concern with the tailhead set. The heifer I think is a bit better than the cow but neither would concern me. Many years ago we debated this in judging in college and finally decided that other than personal preference the only economic issue might be if the tailhead was so high that there might be reproductive contamination issues and then the cow would cull herself.

Reproductive AND possible calving problems are my concern. Why keep a heifer that you are fairly confident in the longterm you will have to cull because of reprooo/fertility/calving problems? Those genes will persist for a long time in a herd if offspring are retained. Not much different then being too posty/sickle hocked, droopy top line, bad feet/legs, etc. Perpetuating conformational problems is never a good investment. But my perspective is that a heifer if retained will be in the herd for upwards of 8-9 years and hopefully closer to 12 or more.

Latest posts