Opinions on this heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Only thing wrong with that heifer is she's not red. The high tail head might be a problem but most likely not. Seems llike her mother is doing alright.

I agree, Dun.

The legs are a touch straight, but not too bad, and it is the pelvis that bothers me the most.

The hips and pins on the cow are level. I cull cows that look like that. I like a nice downwards slope to help with calving.

Keren":18fqebuj said:
I agree, Dun.

The legs are a touch straight, but not too bad, and it is the pelvis that bothers me the most.

The hips and pins on the cow are level. I cull cows that look like that. I like a nice downwards slope to help with calving.
This hooks to pin angle is an interesting subject.
There does not seem to be any agreement on the subject. Some say it aids in calving and shedding of the placenta and even fertility.But then I read where level is considered structural correctness. ( Angus ) I did find one research paper where they found no correlation to fertility relative to hook to pin angle. The test was done on heifers. They did say there may be a difference in more mature cattle. http://www-interbull.slu.se/bulletins/b ... 2/Wall.pdf
For now, or until someone actually has some fact they would like to convince me with I have to assume it is personal preference. Personally I like a slight slope. To much slope just seems like there would be less meat.

novatech":w2m89d9o said:
Keren":w2m89d9o said:
I agree, Dun.

This hooks to pin angle is an interesting subject.
There does not seem to be any agreement on the subject. Some say it aids in calving and shedding of the placenta and even fertility.But then I read where level is considered structural correctness. ( Angus ) I did find one research paper where they found no correlation to fertility relative to hook to pin angle. The test was done on heifers. They did say there may be a difference in more mature cattle. http://www-interbull.slu.se/bulletins/b ... 2/Wall.pdf
For now, or until someone actually has some fact they would like to convince me with I have to assume it is personal preference. Personally I like a slight slope. To much slope just seems like there would be less meat.

Nova - take a look at wild animals ie. undomesticated animals - the antelope etc in Africa spring to mind. Their pelvic structure has the slope - they have evolved that way to cope with parturition. Domesticated deer are the same - and deer seldom have problems calving. Brahmans have more of a slope and they are usually easier calvers. Holsteins have little to no slope, and they are usually harder calvers. (Note the 'usually' - there are differences in every breed)

There's no 'real' evidence but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence.

But there is a fine line between good angle and goose rumps - which as you say are poor conformation and will lead to reduced meat in the hindquarter.

But then I read where level is considered structural correctness.

It is taught in judging as a desired trait, with no basis in fact that I have ever been able to determine as to relative worth in phenotype. On the other hand, logic dictates that an incline in the birth canal would lead to easier calving.

Another aspect of the show ring that tends to detract from the real world of selecting and raising quality breeding cattle.

Latest posts