opinions on these chainsaw models

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is one of the problems I see with the Stihl MS362 chainsaws and all new saws including Echo. Look at the pics of the carburetor. It costs $125.99 and that is from Baileys which I am sure is cheaper than Stihl. It takes four hands to put them on which I put one on a Husky 460 last week and is not easy and like I sad before if they run right good, if not good luck. The new coils on them are the same story. The government has ruined them and it is not a matter of if but when you will have problems and expect at least a $200 cost to even get anybody to look at theses low-emission POS. No parts will interchange from any other saw (stihl 036 and MS360 are bout 90%+ parts interchangeable) I have noticed non-runner Stihl MS362 going dirt cheap on ebay and that is to high. Try to find a good condition Stihl 036, ms360 or ms361.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Parts/Part ... 0-0604.axd

Zama+C1Q-S235+Carburetor+for+Stihl+MS+362+Chainsaws+1140+120+0604_L.jpg

Here is a carb for a ms360 that takes about five minutes to put on and cost 1/3 or less of what a MS362 will cost.
61yEz%2B%2BAe9L._SY355_.jpg

JW IN VA":knmvrk9s said:
My 362 has done well for me.Have kinfolk who sell firewood off their farm.They use 362s.

Neighbor works for a dealership that sells Stihl, and offered to buy me a 362 a couple years ago at his cost. I couldn't turn it down once he told me the price. I love the saw, cuts great but to me the idle doesn't sound "consistent".

cfpinz":zrkj2q79 said:
JW IN VA":zrkj2q79 said:
My 362 has done well for me.Have kinfolk who sell firewood off their farm.They use 362s.

Neighbor works for a dealership that sells Stihl, and offered to buy me a 362 a couple years ago at his cost. I couldn't turn it down once he told me the price. I love the saw, cuts great but to me the idle doesn't sound "consistent".

Carb related or small air leak. A good idea to run pure gas to get as much life out of the carb, gas lines etc. as possible before an expensive fix. Putting new fuel lines on these are tough and want be cheap for a dealer to put on (labor cost).

I have one of these to test vacuum and pressure and usually that is one of the first things I would do if an air leak is suspected.

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-s ... 988888_0_0

jltrent":7ptk37s8 said:
Here is one of the problems I see with the Stihl MS362 chainsaws and all new saws including Echo. Look at the pics of the carburetor. It costs $125.99 and that is from Baileys which I am sure is cheaper than Stihl. It takes four hands to put them on which I put one on a Husky 460 last week and is not easy and like I sad before if they run right good, if not good luck. The new coils on them are the same story. The government has ruined them and it is not a matter of if but when you will have problems and expect at least a $200 cost to even get anybody to look at theses low-emission POS. No parts will interchange from any other saw (stihl 036 and MS360 are bout 90%+ parts interchangeable) I have noticed non-runner Stihl MS362 going dirt cheap on ebay and that is to high. Try to find a good condition Stihl 036, ms360 or ms361.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Parts/Part ... 0-0604.axd

Zama+C1Q-S235+Carburetor+for+Stihl+MS+362+Chainsaws+1140+120+0604_L.jpg

Here is a carb for a ms360 that takes about five minutes to put on and cost 1/3 or less of what a MS362 will cost.
61yEz%2B%2BAe9L._SY355_.jpg

460 is a homeowner saw, none of those are easy to work on, be it Stihl, Husqvarna whatever.

The same qualms were had when fuel injection came out. Nobody can work on it, parts are expensive, it'll never last, blah blah blah.

Again, I've had one for 3 years, it's been perfect. I never winterize it, always use 87 pump gas with ethanol, and it runs just like it did when it was new. Within two or three cuts it has adjusted to run perfectly, which is nice for the big temperature/humidity swings that we have here.

It does not run overly lean, it still burps blue smoke when cold and has a solid 4 stroke. In fact it will compensate for an air leak and save your saw, I had a leak from my decomp and didn't even know it until I saw some fuzz building up around it.

Take it from someone who owns one, don't sweat Autotune/M-Tronic. It's a great system.

Send me all of those dirt cheap MS362's you can find. I can't find anything under 200 bucks.

I just saw a MS361 with a fresh rebuild for $400 + shipping in Keithsville LA on a chainsaw group on facebook.. Looks to be in really nice shape

460 is a homeowner saw, none of those are easy to work on, be it Stihl, Husqvarna whatever. The new style carburetor has made them a lot harder and expensive to work on be it any saw.

The same qualms were had when fuel injection came out. Nobody can work on it, parts are expensive, it'll never last, blah blah blah.

Again, I've had one for 3 years, it's been perfect. I never winterize it, always use 87 pump gas with ethanol, and it runs just like it did when it was new. Within two or three cuts it has adjusted to run perfectly, which is nice for the big temperature/humidity swings that we have here.

It does not run overly lean, it still burps blue smoke when cold and has a solid 4 stroke. In fact it will compensate for an air leak and save your saw, I had a leak from my decomp and didn't even know it until I saw some fuzz building up around it.

Take it from someone who owns one, don't sweat Autotune/M-Tronic. It's a great system.

Send me all of those dirt cheap MS362's you can find. I can't find anything under 200 bucks.[/quote] For a saw that cost over $700 there sure is a lot of them cheap, real cheap just look down this list. On average they are way below the older generation saws they replaced selling wise as $200 will buy a pretty nice looking saw for repair. Repair on them is very expensive. I like rebuilding the saws being it a 036, ms360, MS361, but I almost wouldn't have one of these for repair. /u]

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... Complete=1

I have enough saws, but I don't see how you guys (non professionals) can spend so much on a saw.. $200 on a fixer upper is far more than I'd pay.. I bought my 044 for $45.. it was a fixer upper.. it needed a new recoil rope.. runs like a champ though and will last for years. If it's a professional tool it's totally different, it's making you money.

jltrent":3bawpkif said:
460 is a homeowner saw, none of those are easy to work on, be it Stihl, Husqvarna whatever. The new style carburetor has made them a lot harder and expensive to work on be it any saw.

Send me all of those dirt cheap MS362's you can find. I can't find anything under 200 bucks.
For a saw that cost over $700 there sure is a lot of them cheap, real cheap just look down this list. On average they are way below the older generation saws they replaced selling wise as $200 will buy a pretty nice looking saw for repair. Repair on them is very expensive. I like rebuilding the saws being it a 036, ms360, MS361, but I almost wouldn't have one of these for repair. /u]

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... Complete=1[/quote]

I'm not sure why that is. A lot of those old dinosaurs like 038 Mags bring crazy money on Ebay. Great old saws, but I wouldn't want to spend much time running them. Bought one at a police auction once with the rear handle all busted up, new tank assembly and it was up and running. I sold it on Craigslist for 275.

Strato carbs are here to stay. They are more complicated, but have more power and a wider powerband.

I don't think there's any money in buying parts saws on Ebay. Too much risk for a saw that you know nothing about, could end up being scrap metal. Anything over 100 bucks is too much of an investment to me.

Back in the early 70's, we used the old blue Homelite XL12,the 1st models out didn't a have muffler, just kind of a straight-out with a few holes in it, LOUD. Needless to say I'm extremely hard of hearing.
So I prefer a Stihl simply because the engine sounds sweeter to my damaged hearing. :D LOL.. aint :bs: but its true.....

JW IN VA":jmq2m88z said:
If you have a lot of cutting to do,then I recommend you go with either the Husqvarna 562XP or an MS 362 like mine.Mine wears a 20"bar and does a fine job for us .Granted,we mostly cut firewood and he occasional large downed tree but I bought the 362 for those times.My favorite firewood and general purpose saw is an 026 Stihl.The newer MS 261 is more powerful and when this saw is gone,I would like to replace it with one of those.
My 362 has 3/8 pitch bar and chain and I've only run Stihl Ultra in my gas mix.
The number 1 thing you should be concerned with would be the dealer.How knowledgable they are and how well they offer repair and parts support would be major factors.Both are good brands and the 562/362 are pro grade saws.It's kind of" a Ford/Chevy thing". I won't say you can't pull a 24" bar,but that is getting into 70cc pro saw catagory.
If all of your cutting is 20" maximum,I'd look at the MS 261 or the 550XP/545 Husqvarna.Much lighter saws for extended periods of work and less money up front.A 16" bar would be good,although I run a .325 pitch 20" on my 026( big belly/old back :) :) )
Please think about a good pair of saw chaps.Much cheaper than a copay at the Emergency Room.Also highly recommend eye/ear protection.Pleaselet us know what you decide.

I went with the Husqvarna 562xp with a 24 inch bar. To me it just felt the most balanced and comfortable, and as an added bonus Husqvarna was offering a $50 mail in rebate on any XP saw purchase.

You made a good purchase,from what I read.The 24" may get a little much if you try to cut with the full bar but otherwise it should be fine.If they are like Stihls,they don't run as well new as they do after a few tanks of fuel.Hope you used he $50.00 toward a good set of chaps.I got mine from Bailey's but SHForestry,Gempler's and your dealer will have them,too.

Dogs and Cows":wnekbbe2 said:
One of my saws in the 036 with a 20" bar. Actually I usually use an 18" bar with the saw but sometimes go to the 20. Great saw...and I highly recommend.

Tim
I have an 036 also. Love it but it's heavy. Also the oiler will not keep up with anything over a 20" bar.

Anyone ever taken a look at an ebay special? These are AU $ prices keep in mind. A sthil ms 461 would cost about 1400$ for reference.

OzssieDave19":1kwh4t1a said:

Anyone ever taken a look at an ebay special? These are AU $ prices keep in mind. A sthil ms 461 would cost about 1400$ for reference.

Talked with a guy in town that bought a "timber pro" online. He's pretty happy with it.

I wouldn't buy one. I'm sure replacement parts are scarce if not nonexistent.

Latest posts