Opinions on Red Brangus heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first time posting but I have been reading this site for a while now, and I have learned so much! I was hoping ya'll could give me your opinion on my heifer. I am a newbie to the cattle world and am trying the learn all I can. This is my first heifer, she is my calf scramble project heifer. I will be showing her in October this year.

Any and all comments, suggestions, and advice are welcome!

Here is some info on her:

She is a yearling as of June 15th

She is 100% Red Brangus

Her name is Stofa's Ms Powerdrive 28X2-ET

IMG_1467.JPG

Thanks in advance!

She's a nice heifer and not knowing much about Brangus I would give her a little better topline and some extra butt.

If you deliberately walk her slowly in the showring it will hide the extra set to her hocks to some degree.

She's is super cute.
But if i could change her i would like to see more bulge on her rear, there looks to be some sway in the back and she looks awfully tiny for a yearling.

A nice enough calf to start off with, she isn't perfect and I don't think she's champion material, but she's not terribly bad either.

Interesting, US brangus seem to have much less brahman in them than ours. I was expecting floppy ears, more brahman characteristics

I Think shes an average heifer at best.i really think u can take about any steer or heifer and clip and bathe them and make them look decent enough.

Do you know her brahman percentage?
She is average looking, not good but not bad either.
I agree pour the feed to her she may have a little butt to her after she gets fatter. From the picture she doesnt seem to have as much extra skin as most brangus have. Some take more after the angus than the brahman.

I would like to have seen more length on the heifer. But any calf can surprise us after they are on show feed or any other feed after a few months.

Good Luck!!! :tiphat:

Thanks for your comments everyone! I really appreciate it :)

@BRAFORDMAN- I am not sure how much Brahman she has in her, her papers just say %100 Brangus...

Also if anyone has any feeding suggestions, I would love to hear them! Right now she is getting Nutrena SuperBeef grower/finisher, and she is getting about 12 Lbs a day and all the hay she can eat as well as some pasture. When I got her she was super skinny so I am trying to get some weight on her.

And is there a way to measure her heart girth or something to figure out how much she weighs without taking her to the vet?

Thanks a bunch!

This might help you some on feed. It's a ration from another member of a different board. http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=21656.0

1. Calves should be fed twice a day, the same time each day. Optimum is 6:00am & 6:00pm.

2. Calves should be haltered and tied next to each other.... close enough to see each other eat, but far enough apart to not be able to reach one another's feed.

3. After 15 minutes, they should be pulled from their feed, and the feed cleaned up.
(this teaches them to eat all their food quickly. Sure comes in handy at shows)

4. Measure feed by pounds, not scoops. They should eat 10 - 15 pounds of feed, twice daily, depending on the size of the calf.

5. Make hay or pasture available year round. I recommend small area containment from morning feeding to evening feeding, rinsing, brushing and showmanship work.

6. Turn into larger area pasture with hay or grass for the night. Make sure there is plenty of room to exercise.

Now here is our ration, per ton

1200 lbs. cracked corn
400 lbs. cotton seed hulls
200 lbs. steam rolled oats
100 lbs. soy bean meal
100 lbs. molasses

I top dress each calf 1 oz. per feeding Moorman's #168AU medicated mineral. A quality mineral is essential. On the occasional need for a fat additive, I use Moorman's Natural Glo. This is a 100% extruded rice bran developed for Race Horses. 1 pound per head per day. It will increase muscle, hair & quality of hair coat.

Do you have an idea of her weight? Need to feed according to weight. Right now I wouldn't feed a feed with that much corn in it but would go with about 800 lbs. corn, 425 oats, 400 Hulls, 175 lbs. cottonseed meal and added molasses. That would be more of a grower ration. Best of luck to you.

SassytheBrangus":2w2z78kj said:

@BRAFORDMAN- I am not sure how much Brahman she has in her, her papers just say %100 Brangus...

Also if anyone has any feeding suggestions, I would love to hear them! Right now she is getting Nutrena SuperBeef grower/finisher, and she is getting about 12 Lbs a day and all the hay she can eat as well as some pasture. When I got her she was super skinny so I am trying to get some weight on her.

And is there a way to measure her heart girth or something to figure out how much she weighs without taking her to the vet?

Thanks a bunch!
If she has papers then she is 3/8 th's Brahman X 5/8 th's Red Angus.
TexasBred; It's been a long time but I seem to recall we would start them on finish 3 months before the show. We fed 2 to 3% of body weight and free choice hay if they cleaned up the feed.
You can take the heifer to any public scales. Weigh the truck and trailer empty first, then go back and reweigh the same but with the calf loaded. It will usualy be a lot cheaper than a vet.

SassytheBrangus":1h4gzyxt said:
Ok thanks!

And another question, her first show will be at the end of October. When should I start trying to get some hair growing on her?
The sooner the better.

novatech":xlbxxngy said:
SassytheBrangus":xlbxxngy said:

Thanks a bunch!
If she has papers then she is 3/8 th's Brahman X 5/8 th's Red Angus.
TexasBred; It's been a long time but I seem to recall we would start them on finish 3 months before the show. We fed 2 to 3% of body weight and free choice hay if they cleaned up the feed.
You can take the heifer to any public scales. Weigh the truck and trailer empty first, then go back and reweigh the same but with the calf loaded. It will usualy be a lot cheaper than a vet.
Not nessicarilly. My last herd bull was 3/4 brahman and 1/4 angus and he was registered as a brangus.

BRAFORDMAN":38vmap3e said:
Not nessicarilly. My last herd bull was 3/4 brahman and 1/4 angus and he was registered as a brangus.
Eligibilty Requirements for Registrations as Brangus, Red Brangus, Ultrablack®, and Ultrared™.
Brangus and Red Brangus are animals of 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Brahman breeding and Ultrablack and Ultrared are
animals of Brangus and Angus breeding.
Quote from; http://gobrangus.com/pdf/member_handboo ... EMENTS.pdf
Your herd bull may have been registered as something else under the appendix registrations.
Maybe it had a C in front of the numbers. If someone had the idea of using this bull for developing new foundation Brangus then they would have had to continue registering the stock with the Brangus Assoc. as they were doing it. It would not be registered as a true Brangus until they reached the accepted 3/8th's, 5/8th's criteria.

novatech":1fle5q23 said:
Quote from; http://gobrangus.com/pdf/member_handboo ... EMENTS.pdf
Your herd bull may have been registered as something else under the appendix registrations.
Maybe it had a C in front of the numbers. If someone had the idea of using this bull for developing new foundation Brangus then they would have had to continue registering the stock with the Brangus Assoc. as they were doing it. It would not be registered as a true Brangus until they reached the accepted 3/8th's, 5/8th's criteria.

He did have a C in front of his number.

Thanks for the article!!!!

Latest posts