Opinions on bull - go nuts

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
P1010005-2.jpg

My eyes played tricks on me... I thought your title said " ... no guts" :shock:

I like Herfs - and I like him... length, level, shoulder, muscle....

Michele

Aaron he sure is a good lookin Bull. I'm not sure about the look in his eye tho. Looks like he might be hettin ready to eat you.

Not a bad bull, but I would like to see more hind quarter, better feet. It looks like he will not increase the frame score of your cattle, but that could be the angle the photo was taken from. What is his pedigree?

ALACOWMAN":2vla497r said:
all'ite feller's give me the scoop on the feet.
I have to admit I am extremely tough when it comes to cattles feet and legs. For me the feet need trimmed (back feet particularly). I do not think we should accept having to trim bulls feet on a regular basis. Hence the concern. If this bull was a mature bull and never had his feet trimmed, there would be no concern.

well if i were going to trim one his age it would be right before i sold him. i cant see it.i can see he aint standing ideal. and ive had my share of feet problem in the past..... might be why i had trouble :p

Aaron

I already said I like him, but if I had to fault him it would be the way he comes together in his head, neck and , shoulders. We just sent a GV bull down the road because of the same thing. lots of stuff hitting the birth canal at the same time. I would still use on the right kind of cows, he sure is one heckofa beef maker nice calves

I don't really like his calves that much, but it's hard to tell much from the pictures. The bull sure looks deep enough, i don't see a problem with his feet, but his hindquarter seems a little weak.

I should add, his sire, Nichols Max 4K, was a trait leader at one time for birthweight (-2.1) and milk (+28.3) and still has EPDs (with accuracy over 80%) for those traits that tops many of the Hereford bulls today. I should add a picture of his dam.

ADMM3M-June2004-1.jpg

This is the bull's dam June 2004 at 2.5 years of age and carrying the bull. Not the best teats or udder on her as she was bagging up months in advance of calving.

I have a maternal sister to the bull in the herd, due to calve this fall. She is a dandy, but I don't have an newer photo than this of her when she was weaned in 2006.

P1010013-2.jpg

Nice looking bull.

The calves sure are long legged or at least they look like it in pics.
I also think the rear hooves look long. I have the same problem with some of mine.

Sure is pretty up there. JHH

mitch2":ylco2ad3 said:
My eyes played tricks on me... I thought your title said " ... no guts" :shock:

I like Herfs - and I like him... length, level, shoulder, muscle....

Michele

I thought it was titled " . . . no nuts". Caught my attention anyway.

Can't tell if he is shy or mad at you for keeping him penned up, either way I like the little fatboy. His moomy's purdy too.

TEhayandcattle":1bm7mvk3 said:
Can't tell if he is shy or mad at you for keeping him penned up, either way I like the little fatboy. His moomy's purdy too.

Even though he don't look it, he is real quiet and darn good natured. I could scratch his back no problem. Although he may have been a little peeved over the fact that the cows were so close, and yet so far away, from him.

Just adding this final picture to the thread. This is the original bull pictured, but as a 6 year old. The buyer sold him for slaughter last fall and I happened to catch a picture of him before he went for burger. I think he turned out pretty well. Although the buyer did feed the feet off of him. :lol:

P1010079.jpg

NR might have been right about the feet but at 6 years old and never having a trim, they are pretty darn good for a bull with bad feet. ;-)

He has great depth and capacity, nice looking bull Aaron, I bet he produced a lot of money makers .

Just curious what did he fetch for slaughter with our cull prices being so good right now and what was his weight if you know please ?