Opinions on a Case 5140

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Looking at a Case 5140. Has around 7,200 hours. Cab, bucket, and hay spear. Looks to be in decent shape. Priced in the high teens. I have no experience with this brand.

Not 4wd, but don't really need that.

Any opinions?

From what I have read sounds good. It has a 5.9 Cummins engine which is a plus and German built. Mostly positive comments as a lot of info out there. For the hours might be a little high price wise, but if in good condition could be inline as prices on older tractors have went up..

445017f8e17576c5f059fdbf492fe6c4.jpg

Last edited:
The guy who works on my tractors has several of those and he swears by them. I have run a few and for their age they are nicely set up. One of the few Case tractors I have been on that is comfortable to run. They will take some abuse also as most of the ones I have been around have lived a hard life and still running good. Price is plenty but not out of line if it is in good repair.

Which transmission the partial powershift or syncro?

My issue with the Maxxum series is electrical gremlins. Some tractors seem to be mostly trouble free, others seemed to be plagued by electrical issues.

Which transmission the partial powershift or syncro?

My issue with the Maxxum series is electrical gremlins. Some tractors seem to be mostly trouble free, others seemed to be plagued by electrical issues.

This has been my experience too. Good engine and trans, junk electrics.

If it's a powershift there are four pressure switches and four shift solenoids and a whole lot of wires that are known to cause problems.

Check over the PTO good, make sure it'll switch between 540 and 1000 pretty easily. If it's ever been ran with a wobbly or sticky shaft, it'll wear the little dowels and the shift drum inside the PTO gearbox. It's a pretty big job to repair.

They are not real strong in the hydraulics department, they only have one pump that runs everything, but it's enough for most tasks.

There is not a lot of aftermarket parts support and parts from CNH are pretty high.

I always hated the steps and the door on them, but it works I guess. I'd take a 40 series Deere over one, but that's just me, and they cost a lot more money.