opinions massey 165 175

Help Support CattleToday:

oldnslow

Reaction score
Hi

Ive seen several of these listed FS at what seems to be reasonable prices. Less than $6000

Do any of you guys have any thoughts.

Some of the ads say "may need clutch work" how hard and or expensive is that?

Looking for general working tractor i.e. mowing, spreading seed, and maybe using a round baler.

Im also looking at Fords 4000 and 5000

Thanks

Both are good. We wore 2 old 275's out around here bush hogging ,grinding feed, running a field cultivator and a long peanut picker

I'm a Fergueson fan. It's all I've ever owned. They are dependable, and stingy on fuel.

Hard to beat those Perkins engines, just don't overload the front end if you put a loader on it.

The massey's are good tractors, but if your thinking of pulling a baler a 5000 is the way to go out of the ones you are looking at. The 5000 is about 10hp bigger than the 175 it would be better with a loader and that 10hp is a big difference if you do pull a baler. I have seen a couple 5000's with ford loaders on tractor house for 5000 to 7000$. That's how I would go,you might also look at 2030 John deere's to.

Thanks

Ill keep searching for those Fords. Ill start looking more for HP. PTO HP means the most? Yes

Is there a brand to stay away from? I found a 70 hp "Leyland" once but I had never heard of it before.

Same thing with a "Long" brand.

I really had know idea older tractors were so expensive.

I have a ford 5000 and will say that it is one of the toughest tractors built. For its size its pretty heavy and overbuilt. Mine has been used and abused over the years (was bought new by a family member in 1966 and used for logging until the mid 1980's) and it still keeps on ticking. I use it for everything from raking hay, baling hay, loading round bales, moving snow, hauling dirt, skidding firewood, etc. If/when this one dies I will either rebuild it or find another one to replace it with.

Pto hp is less than engine, some manufactures are different but pto hp is about 10 less than engine most of them time, and I wouldn't go any less than 60pto and more would be better. I would stay away from a Leyland.

I have a a few different brand tractors got a new John Deere a older ford and a Long. The long is a 2510 we bought it new in the early 90s had anther on before that one, I think they are over good tractors ours have around 2000 hours on it and we have only done reg maint on it, no major problems. We use it for a little of everything sometime we will roll hay with it and it handles a Vermeer 504I roller just fine and we roll hay on some pretty step ground.

pricefarm

Ive seen several "Long" tractors at a very reasonable price. I was just afraid of getting parts for them after doing a little research. Though I may have to gamble on price alone.
I do have time to keep looking so maybe Ill run across a decent deal on a 5000/5600

Ya there isnt anywere local to get parts for a long we order everthing on line that we need for it, this isnt our primary tractor so if it was to broke we can wait a few do to get the parts shipped.

* My Dad had a Long 445 way back in the 70's
* My Uncle had a Long 460 for about 20 years.
* I have a 65 HP Long(Farmtrac) FT-80 which I bought new about 9 years ago. It is very similar to the old Ford 5000 series.

All three were solid, dependable, hard working machines. Of course, Long as a Company no longer exists so that's a downside. With that said, I've never had a problem getting parts for my tractor. I've seen some real deals out there on recent model Farmtracs.

we just did a clutch job on a 175 parts ran $345 husband and a friend broke it apart and replaced parts all in all from start to finish took about 2 good working days. We have 4 tractors and I like the massey the most for my jobs on the farm bush hogging, straying and raking.

LLCFARMS

That's good to hear. Those older bigger Ford 5000 , which I would love to able to get, are much expensive than the Massey s I've seen.
Luckily I've got time to keep searching. I have seen some Ford 4000/4600 around. Of coarse several Massey 165 and 175.

oldnslow":3cbtidan said:
Hi

Ive seen several of these listed FS at what seems to be reasonable prices. Less than $6000

Do any of you guys have any thoughts.

Some of the ads say "may need clutch work" how hard and or expensive is that?

Looking for general working tractor i.e. mowing, spreading seed, and maybe using a round baler.

Im also looking at Fords 4000 and 5000

Thanks

I am still running a 1977 Massey engine has never been into, I have had the injector's rebuilt and a new clutch.
Clutch rebuillt in Beaumont was a couple of hundred buck's. You will need a shop to split that tractor to replace the clutch. Rebuild kit on a Perkin's run's fro 300 to 500 on the older ones depending on the motor.
I know this much and it is a number I will never forget when I rebuilt my old 135 to time the injector's with top dead center is 163 revolution's on the crankshaft. I cut a many a hayfield with a 135 Massey and a sickle bar.
Now down to the meat you said you wanted to run cow's on 12 acres. What in the world are you going to be bailing?
You can't make the money come out bailing hay for 15 or 20 cow's it's cheaper to buy. Heck if you are just running on that 12 acres you will have more equipment than land to put it on dang near.
If you think you are going in the hay business with a round baler tractor had better be at least 60 HP IMO with good hydrualic's so forget the 100 series Massey's and you had better have more than one tractor. You will kill yourself switching over from cutter, rake's and baler on top of that if it break's down your screwed.
When you are talking baleing equipment new think 100,000 or more to get started old wore out stuff that you will spend most of the time working on 30,000. That buy's a whole lot of hay.

CB

Thanks for all of your help I really do appreciate it. I never planed on bailing hay on the 12 acre property, that is for the cattle pasture.

The hay bailing (if any were done) would be on another place. Its a 30+- acres west of Huntsville. I didn't mean to imply I was going into bailing hay business.

I have mention before, I think. I am totally clueless when it comes to this. I.E. tractors and cattle and pasture.

I am aware that I will ask some stupid sounding questions to folks that have doing this type work for years. Some will ridicule me. I am absolutely fine with that.

Most of the the stuff I have learned has been from reading books. Which gives me a start but... asking questions on boards like this is where the real answers come from. I mean from folks who have done this sort of thing.

In the other thread you completely blew up my plan for the pasture. I read it in a book. You gave me real world stuff. Like Bahia grass. That was not something I was looking at. Now it is.

As far as the tractor. Im in no hurry and 60 + HP is probably the way to go. And that does sound like the consensus from most, I'll just have to save up for that.

again thanks for all of your help and of course the others to

the bad part on the masseys is the hydraulics. very slow and if you push clutch in too far, the pump stops... outside of that can't beat em

rnh1":2trtx2eo said:
the bad part on the masseys is the hydraulics. very slow and if you push clutch in too far, the pump stops... outside of that can't beat em
And they leak oil from every pore. The electrics are crap. But they are reliable, even if terribly crude. Operator comfort wasn't considered very long when the designers met.

Latest posts